Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I haven't used the toll road for ages, because I object to the stupid way they charge. When it first opened I used it a lot as it was £2.50, then one day they wanted to charge me £5. I pointed out that the charges hadn't increased and asked why they wanted more...you'll love this one. At the time I had a 110 Land Rover and the spare wheel was normally on the back, but on this occasion was on the bonnet and the system works by measuring the height over the front axle. I refused to pay, explained why and the supervisor saw my point. I told them to listen to the local radio station at 10.00 and rang a s**t stirring presenter who hates the toll road to tell him what had happened.::bigsmile:

Tonight I saw one sign, after I'd joined the toll road and every other sign on the way up was blank. When I got to the other end I was told it was £11, apparently the night discounts start at 11pm. I was then told that if I was a member of the Caravan Club I could get a discount...WHY?????

I suspect the reason is that they want to get caravans and motorhomes of the busy section of the M6 which the toll road was built to avoid, so if that is the case why don't they encourage all of us to use it by reducing the stupid charge?:Angry:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
But surely the toll road is like the channel buttons on the TV - if you don't like the programme, change channels. Likewise, no one's making you use the toll road.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I realise that.

It was my choice because they keep closing the M6 for road works and because I haven't been here for a week I wasn't sure if part of it was closed.
What I was querying was why members of one organisation get a reduction when other caravan and motorhome users don't on what is at the end of the day a public road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I stopped using it in the van after the first time when they charged me £9.

I use it occasionally in the car if I am in a hurry but if you time your journey right then the old M6 is just as quick in my experience.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
tax tax tax tax tax
so
avoid avoid avoid avoid

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
tax tax tax tax tax
so
avoid avoid avoid avoid
The M6 Toll isn't a tax, it is a charge levied by Midland Expressway Limited, a private company.

It was my choice because they keep closing the M6 for road works and because I haven't been here for a week I wasn't sure if part of it was closed.
What I was querying was why members of one organisation get a reduction when other caravan and motorhome users don't on what is at the end of the day a public road.
No, it isn't a public road in the sense that it is like any other motorway. From Wikipedia:
In 1989 it was announced that it would be built privately and a competition took place which was won by Midland Expressway Ltd in 1991. The contract was for a 53-year concession to build and operate the road as an early form of public private partnership with the operator paying for the construction and recouping its costs by setting and collecting tolls, allowing for a 3 year construction period followed by 50 years of operation. At the end of this period the infrastructure would be returned to the Government. Toll rates are set at the discretion of the operator at six-monthly intervals and there is no cap on the rates charged.
As regards discounts and the rules under which they operate, Midland Expressway Ltd (like any other private company) can offer any discounts they want to. It's simply the free market in operation.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Do you know over the last 7 years I have used it more often than not, I would rather spend the money than go through Birmingham anyone in their right mind would. I wish they would do the same to Bradford, another place best avoided.

Last edited:

Glyn and Debbie

Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
Private it might be, but that doesn't give them the right to rip people off, I was following my sat nav last week going to brownhills, I stupidly took a wrong exit off a roundabout and entered the M6 Toll road, (what an idiot) so I came off the next junction, approx 2 miles, and what was I charged, £10, now that is what I call a rip off.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Private it might be, but that doesn't give them the right to rip people off, I was following my sat nav last week going to brownhills, I stupidly took a wrong exit off a roundabout and entered the M6 Toll road, (what an idiot) so I came off the next junction, approx 2 miles, and what was I charged, £10, now that is what I call a rip off.

They tell you in advance what they will charge you, if YOU made a mistake how can it be their fault?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Midland Expressway Ltd is a private company. They can charge anything they like and it is up to us whether we choose to pay the charge or not. If we think it is a rip off we go elsewhere.

I appreciate that you ended up being charged as the result of a mistake but (without wishing to be rude) that was not the fault of Midland Expressway Ltd; we all have to suffer the consequences of our own mistakes.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is a free choice to use or not use..... When in the van I set the gps to avoid toll roads in the knowledge that it is expensive. One of the problems with this is that some clever lawyer who agreed the government side of the contract did not put a capping clause in so they can charge whatever they like. Personally I think that the excessively high charges drive people away rather than encourage them to use it. I'll use the road sometimes if on business and can charge the toll to expenses but otherwise not.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I live at the start of it.

The first junction is about a mile from home. During the day it is reasonably busy, but mainly used by vehicles with eletronic tags, using it to get to work at a discounted rate. Last night only three vehicles passed me along the entire length. Now that the M6 has four lanes at this point there is no real advantage other than at peak times. I used it last night as I had just driven 200 miles in one go and wanted to get home. If the motorway repair people would stop shutting down sections of the M6 at random I wouldn't have even thought of using it, but last time I got caught out by a junction closure I ended up going into Birmingham to get round it.

The basic idea is sound, but to my mind they would be better increasing vehicle numbers by charging sensible rates than having it empty most of the time. Another aspect of the the M6 toll is that it doesn't always work, as roadworks at the other end slow you down and coming the other way to join the M6 there are frequent accidents caused by people joining from the toll road.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As a stranger to those parts I find that the signage when approaching from the south to be very confusing in favour of tricking motorists onto the toll road. One of the reasons I tend not to use it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The basic idea is sound, but to my mind they would be better increasing vehicle numbers by charging sensible rates than having it empty most of the time.

Presumably Midland Expressway Ltd use some sort of modelling to decide whether such an idea would be commercially advantageous and have decided not. Why not drop them an e-mail - https://www.m6toll.co.uk/contact-us/ - to suggest it and see what they say?

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
The plot thickens...

I forgot to mention that my satnav loves the toll road. For me to get from Cannock to Sutton Coldfield the logical way is to take the A5 and Chester Road, but if I didn't know that the satnav on my phone which uses Google maps directs me down the toll road. It does this even on shorter journeys of 3 miles or so. I can't help suspecting that Midland Expressway may be paying Google to make sure this happens. From Poole to here I can either head up to the M4 and turn left, then cut the corner to the M5 at Swindon, or head straight on and pick up the M40. Strange that Google seems to prefer the toll road when all you have to do is trun left on to the M6 to avoid it...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I forgot to mention that my satnav loves the toll road. For me to get from Cannock to Sutton Coldfield the logical way is to take the A5 and Chester Road, but if I didn't know that the satnav on my phone which uses Google maps directs me down the toll road. It does this even on shorter journeys of 3 miles or so. I can't help suspecting that Midland Expressway may be paying Google to make sure this happens. From Poole to here I can either head up to the M4 and turn left, then cut the corner to the M5 at Swindon, or head straight on and pick up the M40. Strange that Google seems to prefer the toll road when all you have to do is trun left on to the M6 to avoid it...

Does it have a Toll Road setting? Google maps on my phone (Nokia E7) seems not to have that option but the "Drive" sat nav app does.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I haven't seen one.

Last night was down to me. Having driven for almost five hours with breaks I really didn't want to have to divert because of any closures on the M6. As someone else has said on this thread, the junction with the M42 is confusing and the first sign with prices on is only visible at the last minute.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
The basic idea is sound, but to my mind they would be better increasing vehicle numbers by charging sensible rates than having it empty most of the time.

But then they would have to spend much more to maintain the road. It`s a balancing act between revenue and costs.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
well 1 thing is for sure if we wanted to protest en mass then it would be pointless asking some people on here who seem to be ok with the companies or governments ripping us off
the m6 is no different to the dartford crossing a toll road that would cease to become payable when the tunnel and the bridge had paid for itself which was years ago
tax tax tax

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
well 1 thing is for sure if we wanted to protest en mass then it would be pointless asking some people on here who seem to be ok with the companies or governments ripping us off
the m6 is no different to the dartford crossing a toll road that would cease to become payable when the tunnel and the bridge had paid for itself which was years ago
tax tax tax

I agree. With the Dartford Crossing not only did they carry on charging after it was paid for but increased the toll charge by 50%:Angry:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If I am not mistaken, they have been charging tolls on the Mersey tunnel since 1934, that must have paid for itself over and over...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I tell what REALLY boils my p** about that bloody toll road..
The blatant lies they put up on the info boards...

M6 Dealys at Juntion XX

M6 Toll clear

Yer right
Twice we fell for it.. and twice there was road works and traffic backed up for miles..

How are the operators allowed to get away with putting up such false information ?
Surely that is tantamount to fraud or similar ( taking monies under a false pretence ) ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
but it is free at night

I agree. With the Dartford Crossing not only did they carry on charging after it was paid for but increased the toll charge by 50%:Angry:

The Dartford river crossing is free to all from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. .. motor bikes are now free at all times.

Bob:Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Technically the Dartford Crossing is toll free. Wikipedia:
A fee was retained however under the new principle of Road User Charging, which had been introduced in the 2000 Transport Act to use congestion pricing to reduce traffic congestion during peak hours and to fund local and national transport schemes. Under this act, the A282 Trunk Road (Dartford-Thurrock Crossing charging scheme) Order 2002 allowed the continuation of the crossing fee, which officially became a charge and not a toll on 1 April 2003.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yup thats right the m6 Toll and the caravan club have struck a deal, all vehicles including gurt big RVs go at the £4.50 car rate, PROVIDING you carry a current membership card
Not the expired one like me:Doh: £11:Eeek:
You cant get the discount at the unmanned exits though:Angry:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is very busy at night now

You learn something every day, I didn't know that:thumb:

If you approach from the North side (Essex) late evening.. there is a mass of trucks going fairly slowly towards the toll and at 10 p.m you often have to wait a while to get to the auto barriers... same coming from the South in the mornings.. there can be a large number of vehicles .. 15 deep at each toll booth trying to beat the 6 a.m. deadline.

We often use it coming back late at night for the RV and trailer and also going to anywhere North... in the car we do not pay as that is disabled registered and has an exempt status and the number plate is read by ANPR and the barrier lifts as we approach. but the RV is taxed as normal as HPGV .. but if we do pay it is £1.50 for both the RV and trailer.

I hate paying tolls and coming to France we normally avoid them.. however after the tyre blow out we had to make sometime up and used part toll from midway between junction 30 and Abbeyville and we were only charged €4 for the RV and trailer.. surprised at that.. it was about 30 miles...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is a free choice to use or not use..... When in the van I set the gps to avoid toll roads in the knowledge that it is expensive. [HI]One of the problems with this is that some clever lawyer who agreed the government side of the contract did not put a capping clause in so they can charge whatever they like.[/HI] Personally I think that the excessively high charges drive people away rather than encourage them to use it. I'll use the road sometimes if on business and can charge the toll to expenses but otherwise not.

Why is that a problem? Where there is a strong case for regulating prices in particular industries, regulatory bodies have been set up. Caps aren't put on other free market prices, though, so why the M6 toll? As you say, it is a free choice to use or not use - just like Harrods (for example) and nobody suggests that government should cap their prices :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you approach from the North side (Essex) late evening.. there is a mass of trucks going fairly slowly towards the toll and at 10 p.m you often have to wait a while to get to the auto barriers... same coming from the South in the mornings.. there can be a large number of vehicles .. 15 deep at each toll booth trying to beat the 6 a.m. deadline.

We often use it coming back late at night for the RV and trailer and also going to anywhere North... in the car we do not pay as that is disabled registered and has an exempt status and the number plate is read by ANPR and the barrier lifts as we approach. but the RV is taxed as normal as HPGV .. but if we do pay it is £1.50 for both the RV and trailer.

I hate paying tolls and coming to France we normally avoid them.. however after the tyre blow out we had to make sometime up and used part toll from midway between junction 30 and Abbeyville and we were only charged €4 for the RV and trailer.. surprised at that.. it was about 30 miles...

I find that in France you need a great deal of discipline to stay off of the toll roads, especially if you just want to get to your destination. It is so easy just to hop on the motorway and forget about everything until you reach your destination. I normally do a combination of both A and N roads but it is still a temptation to stay on the motorway for just a bit longer.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back