M6 Toll - Further increases from March (1 Viewer)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I have to ask both why is this necessary, and what are the improvements they need to make? More lanes will make no difference as it is empty most of the time, and how is more IT going to benefit us all?

"BBC Midlands Today transport correspondent Peter Plisner said it was one of the most expensive toll roads in Europe.

But Tom Fanning, from Midland Expressway, said customers would feel the benefit of the investment from the latest price rise. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"This is a rather large operation," he said.
"There are things that we are planning for the future.

"We are looking to improve our lanes, we're looking to improve our IT."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8500556.stm

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This is the usual bulls##t offered by organisations when they want to make more profit , ripoff ! :Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We haven't been on the thing for yonks, just too expensive. I said when I heard it last night - why can't they learn from Dartford - make it affordable and they'd make far more money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

And the bit that fell off the bottom.......

"We are looking to improve our directors' pension fund".

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We haven't been on the thing for yonks, just too expensive. I said when I heard it last night - why can't they learn from Dartford - make it affordable and they'd make far more money.

How very true, I used it once and it did save me a lot of time and avoided a tail back on the free motorway, but these and other people cannot get through their heads that if an transport system is affordable, more and more people will use it.

A motorway used 80% does not cost any more to run than one being used 20% same as a train.

Peter

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
This is the usual bulls##t offered by organisations when they want to make more profit , ripoff ! :Eeek:

But a year or so ago I was told by some on the forum that we don't have "Ripoff in the UK" Has something changed?

Doug...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Dartford is going up in April

Dartford are increasing the charges again from April... The only good thing is it is free between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m (for now)

Bob::Eeek:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Every time I go past on the "free" motorway and look across its empty almost, so it will not be for maintenance as it cant be worn out:ROFLMAO:.I would not use it on principle I do not agree with it being "free"

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have never used it myself - but one thing worth noting for those disabled travellers who do use the road - or have the opportunity to ude the road on a fairly regular basis - you can use for free. There is a registration fee of £15, but passes last for three years.

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Much of the congestion further down the M6 M5 junction would be reduced if this toll road was cheaper or free. Might be an aid to getting Britain moving..Increase in cost is only going to make matters worse.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I see no point in paying to put miles on my vehicle just because you can travel a few more at speed, yes brum is a pain at times but not enough to make me want to pay to go from the m6 accross country to join the m42 which also has its traffic problems

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I must admit, i have never been held up for any serious amount of time. Usually 10 or 15 mins going up - I avoid peak times. To me, when travelling the distance - it really is not of much consequence and really I cannot justify the price for an extra 15 mins - especially when it could take that time to get through the toll booth!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We should boycott it on the grounds that if its successful and makes a profit, it will give our wonderful government ideas.

Doug...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We should boycott it on the grounds that if its successful and makes a profit, it will give our wonderful government ideas.

Doug...

That is a very good point! there will be tolls everywhere...be like Dick Turpin days....only his ancestors are working in thr HM Revenue noawdays!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
really I cannot justify the price for an extra 15 mins

Neither could anyone else. But when it is busy or there is an accident or roadworks it can take us a couple of hours to get from Jct 3 to Jct 7.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
really I cannot justify the price for an extra 15 mins

Neither could anyone else. But when it is busy or there is an accident or roadworks it can take us a couple of hours to get from Jct 3 to Jct 7.

In that scenario, then I guess it could be worthwhile! I know it can be bad during an accident - only had that once, and took an age (pre toll road days)

In that scenario, I would give it consideration. Thst is the problem with motorways- you never knoew what will happen and every decision is a gamble.

Still prefer to be in that jam, than 'operation stack'

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I live in the Midlands, just south of the M6 toll.
I would always recommend sticking to the real M6 or using the A5 between its M42 junction and where it reaches the M6 north of Wolverhampton. Much of the A5 is now dual carriageway. Equally, south of Tamworth, the A5 is a pretty good road south to the M69 or M1. That way the problem bit of the M6 can be avoided.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The only people I know who use the toll section are those who can claim the cost back on expenses.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
We only have ourselves to blame.:Angry:

We moan about the salaries of footballers, and celebrates yet continue to support them, here is a good example in my opinion of where people power would work after all the M6 still exists doesn't it?

If everyone stopped using the toll road for a week I'm sure something would happen, don't the pillocks realise if they charged a reasonable rate say 50p for every vehicle they would I'm sure be back in profit, but no just like the railway system prices UP UP UP customers down down down.

Mick

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
m6 toll

Tom Fanning and his Midland Express crew are just typical of the greedy buisness corporations that rather than reduce prices will go bust.

When opened the M6 toll was £2.00 in 2009 it had risen to £4.70.
Now at £5.30 they are saying it`s great value for money and claim that 55.000 vehicles use it everyday, whilst true figures suggest 44.000.
As it was designed to accomodate 100.000 vehicles it doesn`t take a genius to see that it`s running less that 50% capacity whilst the non paying section is bumper to bumper.

Of course they know this as do the goverment so it is clear that releaving traffic congestion, saving the planet from o2 omssions, safety issues etc etc never were the reason for building the road.

It was just pure profit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have to ask both why is this necessary, and what are the improvements they need to make? More lanes will make no difference as it is empty most of the time, and how is more IT going to benefit us all?

"BBC Midlands Today transport correspondent Peter Plisner said it was one of the most expensive toll roads in Europe.

But Tom Fanning, from Midland Expressway, said customers would feel the benefit of the investment from the latest price rise. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8500556.stm
just answered your own question....not enough use, not enough profit.

as others have said....if the cost decreased, the usage would increase....more profit.
blinkered management. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back