M.p.g.??????? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Am definetly going to get motorhome this year!!!!
Wife wants nice compact Hymer, I want American RV because of all the extras but would like some info on MPG - are they gas guzzlers?
Anyone know of any websites etc.. that may help with info?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wife wants nice compact Hymer, I want American RV because of all the extras but would like some info on MPG - are they gas guzzlers?

Our 2 litre gets 25mpg, some RV types seem very pleased they get as high as 8mpg.

You must be old enough by now not to argue with a wife.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: gas guzzelrs buy a himnherer lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you are looking at an average of 6/12 mpg for an RV but then it will have a large engine.....6ltr/7ltr, V8/V10 petrol.

our 2.8ltr diesel returns 26mpg, which is a gas guzzler compered to my 2.5ltr pickup at 37mpg but economical compered to an RV.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

well theres here to start with :ROFLMAO:

Plenty of RVers that will help you im sure.

Personally, if I had storage space and knowing what I know now, I would have an RV. I would find a lpg converted one that in turn would work out the same as getting 16-18mpg.

My 2.8 returns about 20-22 mpg the reason is, I just drive to fast, 70mph on a motorway etc, I can't be bothered to drive at 5o-55 where i would return and have returned 25+mpg.
First, before you decide, you ought perhaps ask yourself how you intend on using your purchase before deciding on what you get. This will ultimately tell you what the most important factor is.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
mpg

hi jaygee,we have an rv,a four winds dutchmen dorado 31ft.it has a 6.8ltr v-10 ford engine petrol with gas conversion.it does about 13 to the gallon.but gas is between 50-52p a litre so not bad really.but the benefits of owning an rv far outweigh minus,s. my advice would be,your only here once,go for it,GET AN RV :winky::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Do you want 2 star or 4/5 star accommodation?. On LPG our mpg relates to approx 20 and you are only effectively paying the difference. King size walk round bed, full aircon, genny, swing your cat etc. An A Class RV is the only way, look at all of them first, good luck.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There have been a couple of threads on here in the last couple of days concerning restrictions which can arise with larger size vans - but those are only restrictions if they affect the style of use that you want.

Our 18 foot van is fine for us, not too big (for Jill) to drive and we can park it easily at home on our driveway.

We get about 30 mph from the 2 litre engine driving at around 55-60 mph.

We tend to want extra space in warmer months but a Khyam awning (which only takes a few minutes to put up and take down) meets those needs easily.

List all your requirements for where you want to go and what you want to do with your van. Also, where will you keep it when not in use. Listen to what others say, have a good look round and make a note of what fits best for what you want to do.

Hope you end up with what you need.

Graham

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi we get about 9.5MPG on our 8litre V8 petrol, you may find some salesmen telling you that driven carefully a petrol RV can get 15-18mpg, its bo**ocks :ROFLMAO: A diesel one like Jims got can but not a petrol.

Is the fuel consumption going to stop you using it? if the answer is yes; then don't get one.

Olley

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Its nice to get 30mpg from a motorhome, but size matters to me. l don't want to make a 3' x 2' double bed out of the cutlery draw and waste bin! l don't fancy sitting on the throne with my feet in the shower and my arm resting in the wash basin. Nor do l wish to stand on step ladders to peep into the oven that sits on top of the freezer. l am not too keen about having to pay extra for, awnings, oven, grill, air con, electric step, reversing camera, leveling aids, bulk gas tank, tv, microwave, generator, etc, etc, l am with you. The next vehicle l buy will be an American RV. As they say, "European motorhomes are for having holidays in, American motorhomes are for living in".
Craig.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi my 34 foot rv does between 10/13 mpg (5.9 ltr turbo diesel) which i think is quite good considering its size and shape,11 foot 6 in tall and over 8 foot wide with a vertical coach front.i have often considered downsizing, but my sons quite rightly point out that once you have owned an rv it would be near imposible to go to small euro box,(good point).in a few years when i retire (i hope).and have a fixed income it will be more apealing to get 20 odd to the gallon but at the moment i will just work a bit more and keep filling my 100 gallon fuel tank up at the rate of about 5 gallons a week over the winter so i start the summer with a full tank cause 500 quid in one go would not happen.. there is also the option of buying an rv of ebay because i have seen many rvs on there that state that they do 25 to 28 mpg:ROFLMAO: good luck with whatever you choose .steve.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A diesel one like Jims got can but not a petrol.

Is the fuel consumption going to stop you using it? if the answer is yes; then don't get one.

Olley

I get around 14 mpg , diesel pusher, .. which aint bad considering the weight and pulling a car.

Rule of thumb.. Petrol 8 - 10 Diesel.. 14 - 16

I agree with Olley, if economy is a worry forget an RV., there are plenty of European vans with a high level of comfort and just as many toys.. :winky:

If I didn't live in mine full time I would down size to a large German built A class .. but they are more expensive than RVs :Sad:

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
my 6.2 diesel does 15 mpg not bad for an old girl.
the original handbook says 18 mpg is possible and thats on an american gallon.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thanks for all the replies - we've just taken the plunge and bought a hymer. One came up for sale local to me so I could run it into garage and get it checked out thoroughly.
Have decided it's a good starter van and we'll see how we go, may progress to RV later!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back