Lurking through old posts !

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Stephen & Jeannie, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Just wasting time (retired old codger just like hilldweller and ShiftZZ) trawling through old posts and I came across a campsite in Portugal called Chicken Run !
    Has any one been there ? It looks a great site and if you are there for a month the price is only 7 Euros 50 per night !! that's with Leccy as well !!
    I just might spend 1 month there after 2 months at Zahora with young Pitstop and her gang !! :party2::blonde2::youbetcha:

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Dont know about this one, but have heard about the "Chicken Ranch":Wink:

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stephen & Jeannie

bump !!

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I was there last spring, a new site run by an English couple and their two daughters, the site is about 12 miles NW of Portimao.

When I went there I was under the belief that parking only, without using the facilities was 1 Euro, but when I come to leave they charged me 5 Euros. I never questioned it so a few days ago I sent them a email asking what the park only charge was and they confirmed that it was 1 Euro, so I will give it another try as it was a nice spot.

Doug...

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Would that be near the race track ?

On google the area looks like the kind of place you'd dread breaking down.

7. Douglas

Yes, the race track is in the area but on the other side of the motorway and yes the the road to the site is a track but definitely not the racing kind.

Doug...

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

you say you can 'park' for €1..

so what extra do you get for €5 ... there is nothing on their web site about this.. and as far as I can see the €5 does not include leccy and this rate only applies if you stay for more than 30 days ... otherwise it's €7 per night ..

leccy is extra at €2.50

unless of course you have special deal and do work on site ?

9. Douglas

No special deals Jim, just no power,water or dump, just parking which is all I want to do as I am self contained for electricity and the water lasts 5 or 6 days and we can make the toilet last 6 or 7 days, then we go somewhere else to get water and dump.

As I said earlier they are a bit funny with the prices, but the next time I will make it clear when I first arrive.

Portimao has a site with the dump for 2 euros a night, water is (I think) 5 euros a tank full.

Plus if you know the Algarve, there are literally dozens and dozens of places to park up if you prepared to wild it.

Doug...

• Like Like x 1
  10. keith

keith Funster

We stayed there in March 2011 & really enjoyed it. It is a project very much in the making.
    We paid €7 a night plus €2,50 for electric.
    Great couple run it, Andy is a scouse & Lesley came from Darwin (I think).
    They are in the process of developing the site & if you like rural this is the place for you.
    Half their land is planted by the local farmer and he grows too much so we all had loads of veg together with the fruit that grows on the camp site.
    The last I heard they are still improving the site, even got WiFi now, before, they would lend you their dongle to access the internet.
    We will be returning again this winter, it's really the place to relax. It's very laid back & if you want super efficiency stay away, it's not for you. Marjal it is not, no pool or fancy bars although you can walk to the closest village where you will find local authentic Portuguese bars & restaurants.
    Andy & Lesley will take you shopping when they are going or run you to the local towns for a day out at a reasonable cost for the transport.

11. Stephen & Jeannie

I sent them an e-mail regarding weather and prices, the reply said the weather is mostly fine and for a stay of 30 days the price would be 7 euros 50. I will most likely be there for February until I go to the Marjal meet !:thumb: