Sep 15, 2008
Hastings
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
not long at all
Hi there
I thought I would introduce myself as I have been lurking in the shadows for quite a bit, basically because all the good info and chat here however commitments have been high workwise which has limited my free time and application. I have recently moved to Hastings in Sussex and am planning for the ramp down to retirement - not sure I will get there with pension performance.:Sad:

I have always had american pickups and bought a Chevrolet 3500 dually Quad cab pickup a couple of years ago as a tow vehicle and toy and grasped the opportunity to buy a Dutchmen fifth wheeler a year or so ago. The wheeler was in a bit of state, grubby and run down more than anything, howeverI have been bringing up to standard when I have time.

I have a load of questions but thought that I would introduce myself and when possible contribute to the "knowledge and banter"

I am very interested to read your experiences as these are special vehicles with lots to offer and pleasantly different but also because we seem to be in a grey area regards construction and use. People seem to think I am a bit weird about this interest however from this forum and driving about I can see that there seems to be more and more fifth wheelers about so reckon I am not so much as a "Johnny no friends" as I thought.

Best regards

Simon

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Hello jonny and welcome to the FUN
I know nothing about fith wheels but agree that I am seeing more of them about recently.

Rebuilding one sounds like good fun.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Simon and :welcome:to MHFun.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi, from another Simon....

5th wheels, can't decide whether I like 'em or it's just a good excuse to have a gert big pickup truck:thumb:

Probably both, but sticking with MH (RV) for now....

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Simon and welcome:welcome: don't matter what you've got (Ive got nothing!!) I think we all just like the freedome:Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
:welcome:Simon to MH Fun
Don't matter what you have, just enjoy it

Dave:thumb::thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi n welcome to the fun. there is no grey area its black or white. cheers alan

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Lurker

Hi there
I thought I would introduce myself as I have been lurking in the shadows for quite a bit, basically because all the good info and chat here however commitments have been high workwise which has limited my free time and application. I have recently moved to Hastings in Sussex and am planning for the ramp down to retirement - not sure I will get there with pension performance.:Sad:

I have always had american pickups and bought a Chevrolet 3500 dually Quad cab pickup a couple of years ago as a tow vehicle and toy and grasped the opportunity to buy a Dutchmen fifth wheeler a year or so ago. The wheeler was in a bit of state, grubby and run down more than anything, howeverI have been bringing up to standard when I have time.

I have a load of questions but thought that I would introduce myself and when possible contribute to the "knowledge and banter"

I am very interested to read your experiences as these are special vehicles with lots to offer and pleasantly different but also because we seem to be in a grey area regards construction and use. People seem to think I am a bit weird about this interest however from this forum and driving about I can see that there seems to be more and more fifth wheelers about so reckon I am not so much as a "Johnny no friends" as I thought.

Best regards

Simon

Hi Simon

Welcome to the site from another Hastings resident. Always somebody here willing to assist.

Regards

Tony & Debbie

OP
OP
simon_simon

simon_simon

Free Member
Sep 15, 2008
Hastings
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
not long at all
lovely response

Hi Guys
Thanks for the lovely welcome, VW alan is correct insofar that the rules are clear, just a question of finding them out! always drool when I go past John Cross, popped in occasionally, you are busy people! and always helpfull::bigsmile:, didn't realise that Hastings was such a hot bed of Caravan deviancy.:winky:

Just to add my happorth about a common thread, I took the opportunity to get my Pickup MOTed at a VOSA station this year, mainly because it is down plated to 3.5 tons from about 4.5 tons GVW. The examiners were very fair and helpful and advised me that they could not MOT with the Fifth wheel plate in place as "we can not assess the weight that you could potentially be carrying" the difference between the weight of the pickup and new declared gross weight is about 1 ton which is less than the pin weight of my 5er, so I felt there was no problem however I was not prepared to argue at the time, I guess they could be thinking about the Gross train weight. This is potentially an area for all 5ers so worth looking for come MOT time and ensuring there is good support from Calder for example for those buying european 5ers:thumb:.

Either way I am considering "plating up" again and going for an HGV MOT, I wondered what the implications were, this seems to be VWAlans approach. With the limited information available I assess, as a non commercial user(Private HGV) the age and the body style (4x4), that I can get a number of exceptions against Tachos, spray reduction, side protection and run under bars however am unsure about brakes etc. Is there any experience here?

Certainly in the US 5er forums a main topic is the weight of rigs, optimistic declarations from manufacturers, the weight of stuff added and the jaw dropping realisation of the weight of daily tat, when pulled over or run on a weighbridge.:Eeek:

Engine wise I have a fuel injected 5Ltr monster so that has not been a problem but I guess it is understanding the Construction and Use regulations information.

In discussing with the VOSA inspectors they could see the difference between a 5er caravan and a 5er trailer and the potential and dispersion of the weight however their experience was limited. Certainly it is an education watching them dealing with their day to day work so can understand why they are conservative, however I could see that the results of any discussions could end up poles apart depending upon an unguarded or ill informed response. Difficult to back track in a conversation like that.

Either way I am not letting it restrict my plans as we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves and chilling out!!

Best wishes to all

Simon

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Simon and welcome.
We looked at the 5th wheels at a show but the double s bend over 30feet in our single track lane means it was no go for us. They look extremely comfortable.
Lucille

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I have recently moved to Hastings in Sussex and am planning for the ramp down to retirement - not sure I will get there with pension performance.:Sad:

:Cool: Hi simon_simon and a BIG WARM WELCOME to MHFun. I sometimes wonder what kind of lifestlye some people live and expect when they retire?
I retired October 1996. We have basically been living on £8,000 a year income (sometimes not certain if family would pay the nominal rent).
Last December I reached the magic age of 65 and received my BASIC State Pension. We have NEVER been so well off.
I must point out that in the time since retirement, I have toured Europe and the USA, bought several RV's and Motorhomes and still have a little change left for a rainy day.
You only live once. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back