Lunar Landstar RL

Discussion in 'Lunar' started by Jim, May 21, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The CC has voted this as the Motorcaravan of the year and for once I agree with them.

On a Merc, 2 full size sofas, (=Big Bed) a decent fridge, three burner hob, loo with big separate shower. It's narrow and IMO The perfect van for going around the world in, I love it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxva_GfnmCY"]Lunar Landstar RL - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuH_6DlhtXw"]The Lunar Landstar RL - video review from Rona Bromley - Which Motorhome magazine - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Too small. The new merc engine a few wee problems with it as well.

3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Nice bit of kit
    Not sure Id trust a modern Merc to take me around the world though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The size is plus point for me and it is long, its longer than my Hymer and at only 2m wide, for me its perfect for exploring which is my favourite type of motorhoming. Though I hear what you say, if the Merc stops, no matter how narrow I am, I won't be able to travel down those sandy lanes to a beach, otherwise its perfect.:BigGrin:

5. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Aye Jim it's your choice. Not trying to put u off but the engine on the new merc has and still does have problems. Over heating sensor faulty not teaching u to suck eggs Jim but I think there's better van out there.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Isn't it sad.. we have been building motorcars for over a century and we still can't get a reliable panel van.. in fact they seem to be getting worse.. :Doh:

IMO it's too much electronics, and a lot is under the bonnet, one of the most hostile locations you could find to mount electronics. ..

No wonder the old Merc vans are so popular for expeditions and those going off the beaten track.. they can be repaired by a blacksmith in Outer Mongolia ...

I do wish we could get a 'back to basics' modern diesel engine van with no black boxes ..

So what do we chose ?

who makes the most reliable panel van ??

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I think all the manufacturers today are a bit incestuous with many sharing the same components. That said I think we all hark on back to the good old days with rose tinted glasses. I remember every Sunday most everyone would have a bonnet up working on a car that wouldn't work.

cars used to break down every few miles, yes they were easy to fix, yet modern cars and vans just work. Years ago on a hot bank holiday the verges would be littered with break downs, these days seeing a break down is almost rare. The crappiest little motor does a quarter million miles without blinking. IMO The good old days of motoring are now :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

My opinion and it's just an opinion is the Peugeot French engine great gear box great.. Rest of the van is not bad too. Yes I know fiat and Peugeot build in same factory same van but different badges. Merc your paying for the name. The Los merc is a different animal. That's my opinion. :thumb:

9. Forestboy

Same with motorbikes
    People harp on about British bikes but all I remember is how crap they were.
    My GS has done 60000 miles in some of the harshest environments in the world and all that's gone wrong has been 2 blown lightbulbs. Having said that I bought one with no electronic crap on doesn't even have ABS. Electronics are the downfall and Merc seem to be pretty bad, on a trip I did the electrics failed on our support vehicle Merc Sprinter ended up being towed and carried 1500 miles. That was the nearest town to get parts flown in to, not great for a support vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

maybe.. but there were a lot of disappointed X250 owers.. and as I said.. no one wants a van depending on a puter under the bonnet to go on an expedition..

old workhorse diesels are hard to beat.. Cummins, Mercedes, Ford, etc .. with reliable manual controls, no electronics, and will go on forever..

11. scotjimland

:restmycase:

12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I went inside one that was enough to put me off it is so narrow especially around the kitchen its claustrophobic and not for me

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Not been in one yet, saw one at Peterboro and Newbury but I was too busy to take a look

14. Forestboy

Like the idea of a PVC but not seen one yet that would suit our needs.
    Quite like the look of the new Auto Sleeper Kingham but not been able to find one to view.

15. scotjimland

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Theres quite a bit of bare metal on the rear doors. I think it would be too poorly insulated for winter use, especially as thats where the bed is.

17. Forestboy

Yeah they're in Tewksbury been in and asked them, no chance only one in the whole country and that's sold and not available for viewing apparently limited numbers and all sold out before they're even produced.
    Obviously got it right or they're being clever and controlling the market by limiting supply.

18. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Not for me, we got fed up squeezing past each other in the Starspirit and the cab seats were only useful for driving or storage when parked up. Horses for courses I know but I'm happy with what I've got now although it is only our second van, one more to go?

19. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Horses for courses but too narrow and claustrophobic for us. No complaints about the Merc 2.1 engine though - powerful and economical. I'm on my third one so far (in a car)

20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Cramped, claustrophobic.

"You could sit 6", only if they are in intimate contact with one another and hope that 4 of them did not need a pee.

I hate the way all the doors open. It emphasizes it's a cobbled up delivery van. Why don't they weld up the back doors ?

And the sliding door, you exposes your home to the world. It also loses you valuable wall space. All your heat vanishes in an instant in the winter. And that noise ! You can spot PVC owners a mile off, they have the right arm of an Olympic javlin thrower.

You just can't have comfort in the width of a PVC, that's my view.

Do the job properly !