Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
pontypridd
Funster No
MH
lunar champ
Exp
three months
Can anyone tell me if my van should have a tool kit...wheel brace/jack etc...cannot locate one and going to france very soon so need to know....bought van second hand from Webbs last year...thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can anyone tell me if my van should have a tool kit...wheel brace/jack etc...cannot locate one and going to france very soon so need to know....bought van second hand from Webbs last year...thanks
All base vehicles leave the factory with a basic kit, and most motor homes seem to have one
a jack and wheel brace would be absolute minimum assuming you have a spare tyre Other essentials are
Gaffa Tape
Tie Wraps
Sockets
Spanners
Pliers
Mole grips
You may not consider yourself handy but you will be surprised just what you can fix,even temporary to help you along the way.
If you ever get stuck dont be afraid to ask a fellow motorhomer for help
weve all been there
Safe travels
Geo

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It may be an obvious question, but have you checked under the driver's seat, in the seat box??:Smile:

Otherwise, I would be off to the supplying dealer to have some strong words. I think that it is fair to assume that a dealer supplied vehicle should have the essential emergency kit included. Any dealer not checking to see that it is present, and not informing a buyer if it is not is guilty of misrepresentation and negligence.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Manufacturer supplied jacks and wheel braces are a joke really.

Goto a car accessory shop, buy a decent bottle jack and an extending wheel brace wrench and chuck em in the back of a locker. When you need to change a wheel it will be the best £25 you ever spent!!!:thumb:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I fully agree with dazzer. And after buying the bottle jack, get some very thick marine ply (WBP, actually) and cut pieces of 19mm glued together to make 38mm, each, say, 20 cm square. Glue some thick rubber two one surface. I have four of these for use with the stabilising jacks that I use for the rear of the Hymer. Used with a decent bottle jack you will make a better job of lifting the van when you get a puncture.

The only draw-back with using a bottle jack is the limited lift height. They are really more useful when lifting under the outer suspension components rather than the body/chassis. So make sure that you check the stroke length when you buy.

And the telescopic wheel nut wrench is a great idea. I have used one of those for many years.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes it should come with one.

No, it won't be any use to you whatesoever - they are poorly designed for vans - not the motorhome!

Buy yourself a bottle jack, telescopic handle and socket. What I also keep on my hire vehicles for such an occasion are the following:

Hi-Viz vests for all occupants (so you can be seen roadside)
Warning triangle ( keep well behind for a safety zone)
Torches/Strobes (People can see you & you see what you are doing)
Sheet of tarp (If you have to wait on the side of the bank, it provides shelter from sun/wind/rain - it is also something to kneel on when laying beneath/ changing a tyre)

Hopefully you will never need it, but at least you will be safe and dry should the worst happen. These are on top of tools/bulb kits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

saab95

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
pontypridd
Funster No
MH
lunar champ
Exp
three months
It may be an obvious question, but have you checked under the driver's seat, in the seat box??:Smile:

Otherwise, I would be off to the supplying dealer to have some strong words. I think that it is fair to assume that a dealer supplied vehicle should have the essential emergency kit included. Any dealer not checking to see that it is present, and not informing a buyer if it is not is guilty of misrepresentation and negligence.:Angry:

i have checked everywhere but cant find it......should there be a box under drivers seat?

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
how old is your van and is it fiat .from this info we should beable to say were the jack is kept:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back