LPG

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by sciac2001, Oct 11, 2012.

1. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

Hello all,
    Everywhere I read that calor gas is not the preferred system for extended touring. Can I assume that experienced members would agree with this?
    The Gaslow range seems to be the only option that I can research on websites as an alternative. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated as I need to kit up the camper sooner rather than later.
    Many thanks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

We have Alugas.2 X 11kg bottles..same as Gaslow ....but the bottles are half the weight:thumb: Better
    http://www.autogas.co.uk/alugas-cylinders.htm

Also a Fellow FUNSTER Dave Newell fits them in his work shop .I think Dave still gives a funster discount..that is where we had ours done at Telford ...we came over from France for the work to be carried out by Dave:thumb:

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

Dave has done several jobs for us and I would recommend him, it is a family run friendly business.

Or you could go for the under slung tank....its up to you there are for and against for both it depends what suits you and your motorhome

Mel

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

more and more UK garages are not allowing refilling of gas bottles on their forecourts so you will also need an external filler kit.

basically the same thing as fitted to dual fuel cars...filler point on the exterior and a hose to the bottles inside the locker.

4. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

As Heyupluv stated above, we have had an alugas with external filler fitted with discount by Dave at Telford, his advert is often at top right of home page.
    A quick job. He can also install at most major shows he attends.

5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We had a Gaslow 11Kg cylinder fitted this summer, with external filler kit. We got a registered gas/MH/Caravan fitter to do it a) because it made sense and b) because our gas compartment is very compact and I couldn't face trying the job myself. I also have all stainless steel pipes to avoid problems with goo deposits building up, and I've stuck a Fiamma security lock on the gas compartment door, as it wouldn't be too hard to nick the whole Gaslow kit in a few minutes if the door was forced.

I bought a set of 3 Continental Adapters by Gas-It from eBay, which were cheaper than the Gaslow equivalent, and the French one worked with no problem at a supermarket pump.

We also have a 6Kg Calor cylinder as a backup in case we ran out of refillable and there was nowhere convenient to refill, for example if we wanted to stay put for a few days and the gas went on the first day. You can get a free Autogas Supplier SatNav POI file from the Autogas website.

The only issue I've had with the Gaslow setup is the indicator round the neck of the cylinder seems a bit overkeen to show it's empty. The needle was virtually at the bottom of the scale after a couple of very hot weeks with the fridge on full, but when I refilled it only needed 11 litres, which is about half the tank's full capacity.

One other thing - your continental adapter will get extremely cold as you refill, so have a work glove or similar handy for unscrewing it to avoid the risk of cold burns.

6. JayDee

JayDee Funster

We went for the underslung tank (fitted by Conrad Anderson) on the principle that it was cheaper than getting a Beany Box and fitting Gaslow.

We needed somewhere to stow the generator and it seemed we would need a Beeny Box, then somebody suggested the tank which freed up the gas locker for the generator. Perfect:thumb:.

But horses for courses, as they say.

John

7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

do remember the extra weight

While I have a big LPG tank fitted as a factory item on my Winnebago RV.. I would remind members that if you have one fitted you need to be aware of the extra weight of the tank and the contents.. you may find this reduces your allowance for carrying other items.

Bob:Blush: