Lpg

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by ShiftZZ, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I wonder if any funster has worked out any of the following:

A) Return on investment?
    B) Availibility in the UK and Overseas.

Considering converting our 2 x 6kg to lpg.

Thoughts would be appreciated

ShiftZZ

2. wasp

wasp Funster

Have you got blue bottles then shiftzzyou didn`t say but if you consider gaslows it would cost you about 350 ish to convert but then every time you fill up at the service station yoiu save around £12.00 a bottle so it depends how much you use your mh
    and if you go out in cold weather and use the heater then you would obviously use more gas so a gaslow might be better.:thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers Rob W BTW I am currently paying £18 for a 6kg refill

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have convinced myself that they are blue.

I have been offered two conversions quotes, £679 and £600.

We tend to use the van mainly in the summer.

Availability in France?

ShiftZZ

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

shiftzz . better have a word with wildman he can tell you the best way to go. dont forget you wont be changing to lpg ,you are using it already. liquid petroleom gas =butane propane ,pentane,etc . i think you mean autogas. i have recuped my outlay several times over . i think you know the way forward , cheers alan.

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Oh dear, here we go again. blue or red, well the red "propane" bottles are LPG, just change the tails on your regulator. Then use a propane refill adapter to refill them. Safer and cheaper than the other conversions which rely on a fallible valve to make sure you don't exceed an 80% fill. adapter is paid for in three refills. a no brainer really. There are at least three gaslow bottles suffering from failed valves a year at some repairers. Thats 3 too any to be safe. you know it makes sense, however if you have plenty of dosh to throw around send Jim some for the site, hee hee
    total cost under £100 by the way

Disclaimer neither I or the site are responsible for my opinions. In my case I know I'm stupid and Jim, well he is too polite to say owt, hee hee

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Why did you specify solid gold cylinders ?

Look here:
    http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products/list_6.htm

Most on that one page: Looks more like £400 than £600 for parts and an easy DIY job. Plenty in here DIYed it.

Maybem just maybe £600 if someone had to come out to you. For someone well equipped it's under 2 hours to fit.

7. hilldweller

Not quite baldy.

How about convenience ?

How about turn up, clip on to proper filling point, fill, go. Proper job.

Or hide furtively behind the pump hoping ms le flic does not spot you and fill one tank then change adaptor on to second tank even more nervous by now.

No problem of availability in France either method. Just carry the froggy adaptor.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

save over 600 pound get a filler adapter .if you can change a bottle you can fit the adapter. autogas ,lpg ,gpl what ever is available just about everywhere in europe. even spain is getting their act together. new tanks being fitted at garages all over the place. dont forget new spanish adapter. there seems to be two sizes of thread to fit your adaptor. both now available to borrow at malaga. i guess all the spanish stations will have them soon.

9. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

well , if you spend all your time in the uk you will save some money
    in france you will break even , more or less
    in spain you will pay more if you can get in a standard euro sized bottle , if you can only get in baby bottles you will save a little

eg , could you fit in 300mm diameter by 500mm high bottles

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Baldy? that was last week, you are out of date, mine grows back, hee hee, unlike some.
    I just drive in and fill at my home station, why fill two bottles, refill one as soon as it runs out. adapters fit the refill adapter as well all of them do.

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Mr Shiftzz,
    Don't look at it in monetary terms, look at it in how easy and how you will no longer throw away half full bottles because your unsure how much you will need on your next trip.

I have 1 gaslow bottle the big one and one ordinary bottle. I use the the gaslow and then in case of an emergency (rare) i have an ordinary bottle. If on th ecouple of occasions I have had to use the ordinary bottle, I have done and then just let it run completely out.

£600 is well over the top for a quote, 1 bottle would be less than £200 , fit it ya self and away you go.

I personally would never use Roger's system because I am way to thick although others do of course.

Ps welcome back vwalan, where have you been? seems months since you were on?:Eek!:

12. hilldweller

Well if I'm trying to make a point no point in doing half a job :Smile:

Actually I have to ask why 6kg. Is he the unfortunate owner of a van with small parts ? If he could fit a single 13kg tank then he's saved £130. That's what I have a 13kg Gaslow and next to a small calor as backup and BBQ supply.

I wish there was an adaptor for the small green calor tank - rip off price and it's got a built in fuel gauge. Come to think of it I do have an adaptor to enable me to screw in the standard regulator that's screwed into the Gaslow, I wonder if it's bi-directional.

13. ritaderek

ritaderek Read Only Funster

I could only fit 6kgs exchangable cylinders in my old van but could take 11kg galsows as they don't have a collar. once you have them you have them for life as they can be transferred from one van to the next. I apid nowhere near what you are bein quoted.

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

brian ,there is adaptors to fill all the bottles and you can.

have a good look on the webb .

try rpi engineering ,bes. etc .
    there are lots of places to get adaptors from.

hi hagnap i have been in spain n portugal for 5 months . no telly or internet. met a few funsters missed some by days or hours. back home for summer have a rest.

cheers alan.

15. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Got 1 x big gaslow bottle and a smaller standard backup (never needed). Proper filler fitted on side of van so just pull in and fill up every couple of weeks and laugh at how little it costs.

Have no idea when or if it will pay for itself but that isnt why I fitted it. Long periods abroad means you just fill up every now and again and forget about it.

Got the whole thing installed including French / Italian adaptors for £250.

16. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

what about spain?
    at least one member hear reported that the only time he uses his gaslow 's is when he is changing his spanish bottle ...half an hour

17. manu54

manu54 Read Only Funster

Anyone tell me where i can get one of these adapters to fill my bottles, please !

18. JJ

JJ Funster

Google gas filling adapters and it will come up with your answer. I got mine through ebay at about £35. It is beautifully made and has a one way valve fitted in it.

Despite the impression given by some Funsters, filling your own cylinders is not always straight forward. I have come across filling points where they do not let you fill your own Calor (or similar) cylinders. When this happens to me I am relieved that I also have a gaslow system... I could not be without gas.... !!!

JJ

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the answer is use a bulkhead exterior filling point with pipe work to your bottle .to all it would then look just like any lpg filling. have used it all but the ebay fillers are convieniant,cheap and usefull sometimes we need bottled gas not in the van so a tank is not so use full. i have never been told not to fill a bottle,but then i have never asked if i can. made my own filler about 25yrs ago using an lpg car filler and pipework to a normal bottle . that was when uk used the acme thread at filling pumps in garages . still have a beam california convertion and a landi harthog dutch convertion here. the tank was supplied by calor in 1975 and is a 64litre tested to 23 bar. like a new one.ha ha. cheers alan.

20. JJ

JJ Funster

Great idea to have the external filling point. This would overcome all the downsides of self refilling other than having an empty bottle so you get the quantity right with out over filling.

JJ