LPG warning labels

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Molls-Phot, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Molls-Phot

Molls-Phot Funster

Hi

I'm trying to find out if it is a statutory requirement to have an LPG warning label on a campervan carrying gas. If so, are there rules on where it should be placed?

Thanks,

Gary

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Im not sure if its law, but the guy that services my outfit puts them on the gas locker of all the vans/motorhomes he does. At the end of the day should the outfit be involved in an accident it lets the rescue services know where the bottles are and they can take appropriate action to safeguard against further incidents should the need arise

3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

I have never seen any legal requirement on this - some vehicle seem to have them on but others don't. You can easily pick these up at most accessory shops - our 5'er did not have them on but I put them on within a few days of getting it - in case of an accident saves them ripping all the lockers open.

I know for commercial use it is a legal requirement to have hazard markings on if carrying bottle gas.

4. JumboBeef

JumboBeef Read Only Funster

Different I know, but my Disco V8 is LPG converted and, like every other car I've ever seen running on LPG, it has no warning lables.

5. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

As far as I know, an LPG sticker should be applied to, (or immediately adjacent to) the gas cylinder storage locker. Although we have a bulk gas tank, the old gas cylinder locker still houses the 30Mbar regulator and BBQ point isolation valve, so a sticker is on that locker door.
    We have also applied an LPG sticker adjacent to the bulk tank isolation valve access point.

For me, it is just best practise.

Mark at CLS got them for me.

Cheers,

Jock.

6. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

there is no regulation saying that such a sticker is required

in any case wouldn't it be more logical to have stickers saying ...this vehicle contains petrol , as petrol vapour is much more explosive than lpg ?

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Trouble is with this sort of thing if people keep fitting them next thing you know it will be compulsory. as its campers we are talking about dont just about all carry gas.
    next thing will be stickers saying this vehicle carries people. ha ha

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

9. JockandRita

I knew it would take me a while, however, I knew that there would be some reference to the original posters question.....
    2. LPG HEATING SYSTEMS FOR STATIONARY USE ONLY
    2.1. The LPG-combustion heater and its supply system of an LPG heating system that is
    intended to be used only when the vehicle is not in motion, shall comply with the
    following requirements:
    2.1.1. Permanent labels shall be attached on the compartment where the portable LPG
    cylinders are stored and in close proximity to the control device for the heating
    system, giving instructions that the LPG heater shall not be in operation and that the
    valve of the portable LPG cylinder shall be closed when the vehicle is in motion.
    2.1.2. The LPG combustion heater shall comply with the requirements of section 1.1.1.

For further details, http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:153:0100:0109:EN:pDF

Regards,

Jock.

10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hi Jock
    this only refers to portable LPG cylinders so any fixed tanks eg on RVs are not included

Larry

11. JockandRita

Hi Larry,

I am in the same boat as yourself,ie, bulk tank, however, I was trying to help Gary, (Molls-Phot) whom I am assuming is carrying cylinders.

Cheers,

Jock.

12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Have just checked my gas locker, large LPG label inside locker door :Doh: Following other posts think I will put a label on the outside of locker.