LPG Tank installer in Somerset?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jimiol, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Hi all, 2 questions;
    Q1, does anyone know of an LPG tank installer in Somerset Taunton/Langport area. I am looking for a underslung tank chassis mounted so I can get rid of my gas bottles for a bit of extra storage space. I have asked VanBitz but they don't do the tanks they do gaslow which I am considering but I would prefer locker space.
    Q2, has someone had this done recently and could give me an idea of the likely cost please?

Not a question. I know that many of you would do a job like this yourself and it probably is easy, but I am not sure which end of a screw driver to hold and therefore messing with gas is not an option.

Thanks in advance Jim

2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Hmm

On the naughty step for you......:Blush: he already mentioned that Vanbitz only did Gaslow.

There must be a mobile installer who can do this, but unfortunately I don't know any. Maybe Mousy can help as I think they just had a system installed and they live not too far away in Wales

4. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

5. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Thanks I have emailed them. I dare say if they have converted the engines to run on LPG then they would have done quite a few tanks in their time.
    So I'll see what they say.

6. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Just make sure they fit a vapour tank, not a liquid take off, which is what they'd put in for an engine LPG conversion.

7. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I did hear that they have stopped fitting tanks for gas usage now, they can make more money fitting the tanks as flotation devices:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. jimiol

jimiol Funster

As you can guess that would also be quite handy as I am currently living in Somerset and about to move to the West Coast of Ireland.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Instead of replacing your Gaslow system, have you instead considered having a Beeny box fitted to give you extra storage? I enquired about the cost of installing an underslung gas tank on our PVC but as it was going to be £770 we stuck with our single Gaslow bottle - I imagine a Beeny box won't be anything like as much as a fitted gas tank.:Smile:

10. jimiol

jimiol Funster

The van is based on a 05 Ducato, its about 6 m long and already has bikes on the back and I did think about a roof top storage box but I know once something gets put in there it will stay there. I have not got gaslow just standard gas bottles but from this year onwards I intend to spend 4/5 months touring in the winter and want space and the flexibility of a re fillable tank but I am going to fall back to gaslow system if I can't get a tank.

I might then have to shower more and wear my clothes for more than one day as I have not got much room in the van.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Jim

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

A beeny box is a large 'drawer' which is built into the skirt of a MH, not a roof box:

http://www.beenybox.co.uk/

12. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Oh, I did not know and had not thought of that, something to consider and in a place that is accessible and useful.

13. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Looked at the website but they are based in Camborne and its rough there:RollEyes:.

Just in case there are few Cornish people out there, no offence intended I grew up in Portreath.

14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Autogas in Thirsk are experts in fitting both Alugas refillable bottles and underslung tanks. I'm not suggesting you go to Thirsk for installation (although if it were me, I would probably make the trip and stop up there for a few days) but I have spoken to them in the past and found them very helpful. They might know of a fitter nearer to you.
    http://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/index.html

If you decide on the Gaslow route (I have that system) then as posted earlier, Vanbitz is on your doorstep in Taunton.

15. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Thanks I will get in touch with them, as for the trip and stay I off to Ireland soon and don't really have the time.

16. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Could your trip include a detour to Telford or have you time to go there first? I have just noticed that Dave Newell now fits underslung tanks (apologies Dave for not mentioning you earlier as I thought you only fitted bottles). Dave is a Funster and offers a discount to members.

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/Products/Gas

17. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Thanks Telford is doable. I will get in touch with Dave.:thumb: