LPG PROBLEM AGAIN (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We had a LPG port fitted on the outside of our van to get found the problem of garages not liking the cylinders.
However the first time we tried to fill it up it poured out of the bottom of the locker. Clearly it wasn't sealed inside. It had a bayonet attachment inside our pipe and the garage gas pipe also had a bayonet fitting.. if I had used one of our continental gas low adapters I don't think it would have fitted. We opened both valves prior to filling.
Any thoughts appreciated as we are stuck on in Holland with hardly any LPG
Does anyone have any idea what we did wrong

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We don't have a refillable system but have read about them and I think you should have the valves closed?

Just checked on the Gaslow website and it gives these instructions....

Upgrade & Fill Anywhere

Broken Link Removed
The Direct Fill Cylinder can be upgraded to a permanent system by installing the Broken Link Removed on to the side of your vehicle.
The system would then meet all the requirements of the UKLPG trade association directives, enabling you to fill up at any LPG Station in the UK.
Also by purchasing the set of three foreign adapters you would then be able to fill at thousands of locations around Europe.

UK Filling Instructions

Broken Link Removed
1) Always ensure that the cylinder valve is switched off before filling

2) The UK filler nozzle uses a bayonet fitting. Line up the two lugs on the fill adapter, then rotate the nozzle a third of a turn clockwise to seal it securely.

3) Pull the trigger and locate the small clip. Use the clip to keep the trigger in place.

4) Check the display on the pump reads zero and depress the (red) button on the pump to dispense the gas.

5) Hold the button (if you let go, the gas stops) until the pump stops automatically. The Gaslow Cylinder is fitted with an 80% automatic shut off device and will not allow filling above this level for safety reasons.

6) Un-clip the trigger and remove the nozzle by rotating it a third of a turn anti-clockwise. Note that the nozzle may be very cold and there may also be a sound of gas as the nozzle depressurises.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If they are refillables you should close the cylinder valves when filling and you certainly need to use an adaptors as the pump will not connect correctly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You shouldnt need any adaptors in Holland.....even the UK boyonet fitting is known as the Dutch bayonet.
Sounds to me like something has come adrift/loose.
Dont attempt to fill until its been checked and rectified.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As John says.. I suspect a hose connection has come loose.. have it checked asap

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
As pappajohn says I think pipe not tightened up properly or come loose. I had this exact problem when I had mine fitted (alugas system but same thing) upon filling up for the first time clods of gas pouring from the bottom of the locker underneath so lucky I was not far away from installer and went back and they got underneath the locker tightened up a few things and was perfect after this so go to a local installer or check all the nuts yourself Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Check each and every hose and other connections with a strong solution of washing up liquid and water, it will bubble if there is a leak. I carry a reserve 6kg lightweight calor cylinder which can be directly plumbed onto the original gas connector should there be a problem with the LPG system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Could it be because we opened the cylinder valves? Is it definitely the case that we should NOT open them? Does anyone know for sure?
It would certainly explain the leakage.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
So we should open them prior to filling? Sorry - conflicting advice here!
It has only just been done.
I'm sure there are no loose connections

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
if all nuts are done are done up properly nothing should leek with or without cylinders closed or open. where are you in Holland ?????? (coordinets would help if poss but don't matter) might be able to find an installer near you??????? Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No the valves should be closed to protect your regulator. The instructions have been posted above
I would be asking whoever fitted it why it is leaking

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Couldn't it be our fault for opening the valves ?
Wouldnt that cause the leakage?
Also when we fitted on the bayonet pipe coupling it didn't appear to give a gas tight fit.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

The has to be a lose connection somewhere probably by the fitting to the filler but system is completely sealed so there has to be a leak, turning on or off cylinders should not matter (but would advise closing both of them on filling up for your own peace of mind) as they are sealed themselves as well. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Does anyone know anywhere we can have it checked around Amsterdam?

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Thanks
Couldn't it be our fault for opening the valves ?
Wouldnt that cause the leakage?
Also when we fitted on the bayonet pipe coupling it didn't appear to give a gas tight fit.

This sounds like you did not fit on the bayonet properly as you have very little gas then you did not get any into the tanks as was leaking out before it got into the bottles, try again and make sure fittings are tight on nozzle and gas pump Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
This is the only place i can find at the moment, give them a call or if not to far away ypop in and have a word, the worse than can do is shthghsho you hot to use nozzle correctly as this sounds like what your problem is
Installer's name
Bodo-lpg
Address
Appelweg 46
1033 av Amsterdam
Netherlands
URL
http://www.bodolpg.nl
Schedule
Mondays: N/A
Tuesdays: N/A
Wednesdays: N/A
Thursdays: N/A
Fridays: N/A
Saturdays: N/A
Sundays: N/A
Holidays: N/A
Contact
+31 (0)20 6315272
bodolpg@tiscali.nl

Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds to me like you did not put the nozzle on straight why don't you contact the people who fitted the outside refill point for advice? By the way we have an in the locker point never had a problem!!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks very kind
A mechanic camping next to us had a look and there was a loose nut due to it being over tightened and then cracking as we could see the split nut.
He has suggested trying again as he has tightened it with a spanner and thinks it might be ok. If not we will try the place you mention Garry. Thanks again

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We have emailed Simpsons of Yarmouth but not had a reply
My phone will not permit uk calls for some reason maybe because it is not a three feel at home country.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Another one here may be the better out of the 2 as they do motorhomes

Van der Bilt Autogas BV | LPG installation & Airconditioning Installers
Address:
Bolstoen 38
1046 AV AMSTERDAM
Netherlands
Telephone
+31 (0) 20 614 55 81

Monday to Friday
8:00 to 17:00

Email
info [at] vanderbiltautogas.nl

Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would be carefull about how much gas to put in I had a problem originally and the gasit bottlea at least still have gas in the refill pipe aftre refilling there is a safety valve to stop the cylinder contents venting if the refill pipe splits but a slow leak will continue until the gas has all gone with a chance of a big bang meanwhile. If the nut is split go to the gas fitter recomended only a small job and it will need doing anyway.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Thanks very kind
A mechanic camping next to us had a look and there was a loose nut due to it being over tightened and then cracking as we could see the split nut.
He has suggested trying again as he has tightened it with a spanner and thinks it might be ok. If not we will try the place you mention Garry. Thanks again

Thought that this might be the problem as system is sealed so has to be a leaking nut somewhere, see if you can as very dangerous, get the nut replaced if split at the second place I gave you. Make sure you get the receipt for replacing the nut and send the gge a message that you expect them to recompense you in full but may not be much just a nut ????
No feel at home is not on the 3 network in Holland, Belgium, or Germany, but is in France No good I know but just in case you start racking up phone bills,, the second place looks a perfect place as they do motorhomes :)
Good luck, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I would not attempt to fill with a damaged system..... That would be asking for serious trouble...:eek:

Find a qualified fitter..... It's just not worth the alternative....

image.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back