LPG in Spain (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
First time tried filling up our refillable system in Spain. The attendant reckons on ly certain garages have facility to fill bottles. Is this correct? If so, how do you know which ones, is there a site that shows? I have mylpg.eu, but it was this that directed us to this garage.

Keith

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Do you mean refilling bottles or filling a proper installation with external or internal filling point. Repsol now have many GPL stations and I, up to last year have never had problems there.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We chose self service petrol stations in Spain to fill our system.
Never had a problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My LPG good App to find your nearest location, the attendant may have said that there are a limited outlets in Spain, which is true, but more are being made available. Repsol installations are increasing, careful planning will ensure you keep your system is topped up.....an essential part of having a refillable system.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
First time tried filling up our refillable system in Spain. The attendant reckons on ly certain garages have facility to fill bottles. Is this correct? If so, how do you know which ones, is there a site that shows? I have mylpg.eu, but it was this that directed us to this garage.

Keith
Could they not fill you up? Where was it?

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
It was a Repsol east of Benicarlo. There was a guy in front who tried to fill up his Gaslow system. Attendant said it would not work and we could not get it to. She was adamant that it would not work on bottles, but I don't see how it could tell if it was a bottle or a tank.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I,ve filled up at javea and amposta which is the closest at the moment numerous times here:
Repsol Cred Riu Ebre
40.70917, 0.5880556

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
I,ve filled up at javea and amposta which is the closest at the moment numerous times here:
Repsol Cred Riu Ebre
40.70917, 0.5880556

It was at the Repsol in Amposta. So it sounds like this lady was pulling my chain then. :cautious:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Technically, I think from memory that it's not legal to refill even the UK style gaslow etc refillable bottle system in Spain. That's not to suggest that you cannot do so in many/most garages however, in practice.

My understanding is that there's a legal distinction here in Spain between "gas bottles" and "gas tanks for fuel to propel road vehicles".

The distinction is because tens of millions of people across Spain use gas bottles for home cooking/heating, bought from and refilled by Repsol, CEPSA, or a couple of smaller suppliers.
For safety it is illegal to self-refill, or for an LPG gas retailer to refill them for you.
Empties have to be exchanged at one of the thousands of retail suppliers/garages across the country.....those empties are then returned to Repsol etc who refill them at their factory under controlled conditions.

Cars/vans that are factory fitted with fixed gas fuel tanks are legally allowed to refuel at garages with LPG pumps, but you can't refill there any other aftermarket or separate LPG bottles, whether fixed in place in a vehicle or not.

Now, in practice, if you pull in at a self-service garage, and the staff can't see what it is you're actually doing with the pump nozzle and thus they don't know if you're refilling your vehicle gas tank or a separate gaslow type system, chances are you'll be OK.

But if you ask the Assistant, or you pull in at garage where the staff operate the pumps rather than self-service, chances are they'll refuse to refill your gaslow etc bottle system, as it's not a factory fitted LPG road-fuel tank for the vehicle.

As an aside, I've not come across anyone (yet) who will refill a standalone gas bottle in Spain; but as many will know, there's a garage on the edge of Bolequieme on the Algarve coast of Portugal which'll refill just about any sort of gas bottle from any source across Europe....they have dozens of different adaptors to do so.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
for the record mine's an underslung tank filling point outside of course.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Maybe her burro was sick

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We chose self service petrol stations in Spain to fill our system.
Never had a problem

Robert, how do you target self service garages? By chance or listed?

Keith

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert, how do you target self service garages? By chance or listed?

Keith
Just by chance I guess, but I've never had a problem- I use LPG.eu app, to check if there is a possible fill point on my route.
I never let my gas run low and top up when I'm half full (ie when one of my two tanks is empty)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Never had a problem in Spain / Portugal / Germany but once in France they never turned the pump On I just kept pressing the button, ;) I was not going in and he was not coming out. :D
In the end he turned it On. :clap2:

;):france: Bob.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Lets not start a thread that puts doubt in the minds of future travellers please. We don't want another "Bloody Spain" type response because of one incident.....we live in Spain, we travel in Spain and we have never had a problem in the 3 years we have had Gaslow Cylinders fitted to our motorhome with an external filling point.
You could have a problem if you start opening locker doors to access a filling point, but a correctly fitted system should offer no problems....Standby.......

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
If you open the locker door you may have a problem ,but other than that never had a problem viva espania

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Lets not start a thread that puts doubt in the minds of future travellers please. We don't want another "Bloody Spain" type response because of one incident.....we live in Spain, we travel in Spain and we have never had a problem in the 3 years we have had Gaslow Cylinders fitted to our motorhome with an external filling point.
You could have a problem if you start opening locker doors to access a filling point, but a correctly fitted system should offer no problems....Standby.......
That`s good cause we set off next week with our new gasit set up,viva espana !!!!(y)(y)

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Had lots of probs when they see you open a locker door. point blank refusal, so much that I am changing my filler point before I go away in the next couple of weeks

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Well since my initial problem with one forecourt attendant, i have had no problems at all. Every station has filled for me and been very helpful. I have a locker fitting, not external.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
On our last trip to Spain I filled up twice at a Repsol garage after having to ask if I could borrow an adaptor.
Very friendly and helpful guy at the desk who had to come out to reset the pump gubbins (technical term).
No hint of a problem. :)

Richard.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The first time I filled up in France I was leaning on the button for ages with nothing happening. Eventually the attendant appeared and told me I had been pressing the emergency cut off button.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I tried to fill up in Belgium couldn't get it to work, asked an attendant she you have to go inside and pay first, then you have finished you go inside again and they give you your change. They don't trust anyone.

Buswhippet

Free Member
Dec 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 814D conver
We are travelling through Spain with butane gas. We are interested in having an LPG system installed though and wondering as you live in Spain, would you know how or where we would go to have this installment done? Thanks.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
one trick, if you need diesel and lpg, always get the gas first. If you fill with diesel first you may get stopped then filling with gas. Only had a problem twice in Spain as I got diesel first since then lpg first no problems.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We are travelling through Spain with butane gas. We are interested in having an LPG system installed though and wondering as you live in Spain, would you know how or where we would go to have this installment done? Thanks.
My Motorhome had LPG installed when I bought it, so I do not have the experience with this...however I know of two reputable motorhome dealers who could give you a quote.

hispavan.com based in the Almeria region.​

Caravanas Cruz based in the Alicante region.​

Google the above for more information.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back