Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
how does the weight of the filler and hose decrease as it gets lower? surely the bending force exerted by the weight remains constant?
In the skirt the hose is on the floor and takes the weight of the nozzle
Imagine a cobra poised

High up the nozzle has to carry the weight of the hose as well

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Our skirt mounted fill-point is not as low as the waste water drain and refilling with gas is not as regular as emptying that.. Also, as Techno says, most of the weight of the hose is on the floor.. Our skirt hardly flexes when connected to the gas re fill nozzle. Remember, the skirt is supported inside (a) By the skirt support strut and (b) by the hose that goes to your bottle/s...
My only problem was the "arsewinkey" experience of drilling a 70mm hole in our brand new van !! But not a single regret since.. (Fitted Gas-it)
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.. (y) Mitch..

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
i have mine fitted in locker saves cutting a large hole in side of van,only told once i shouldent be filling that way but got he gas any how[should have said that was in france]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In the skirt the hose is on the floor and takes the weight of the nozzle
Imagine a cobra poised

High up the nozzle has to carry the weight of the hose as well
Of course if the UK didn't insist on supertanker hose & a nozzle that takes two to lift it it wouldn't be an issue. The French filler is an elegant piece of kit.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Is the skirt area really strong enough to take the filler point with the weight of the nozzle/hose connected to it? On my Autotrail the skirt is a flimsy plastic affair that I wouldn't fit anything to!

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hi cossieg , the skirt is metal and I will fashion a support bracket to steady the fill point . thanks for the warning though , all input is gratefully received as I am a complete m/h novice . I still have to go and look at an LPG filling station to see what is involved when filling up though to satisfy my worries about the height off the floor .

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks , and all from the comfort of my bed . I can see that there will be some downward force exerted , so the support bracket will be a necessity to stop the skirt being bent .

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have had filler point inside locker for 5 years, never a problem anywhere filling up.
however, you can now buy a hose where one end screws into filler point, and the other onto external gas bottle. Easy peasy when set up for a while or overseas with different gas bottles.. Will consider moving my filler point for this reason.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have had filler point inside locker for 5 years, never a problem anywhere filling up.
however, you can now buy a hose where one end screws into filler point, and the other onto external gas bottle. Easy peasy when set up for a while or overseas with different gas bottles.. Will consider moving my filler point for this reason.

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
@ScotJimland Thanks for the clips! (y) Took my moho to put lpg in the refillable gaslow bottle for the first time this week...and came away unfulfilled. :whistle:Couldn't work out how to connect the hose and neither could I lift it either. Im very aware look young & healthy but I have invisible conditions that means I have no strength or dexterity. Methinks I may have to work more on my smile and feminine charm to get help with a refil...:makeup::giggler:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you can now buy a hose where one end screws into filler point, and the other onto external gas bottle

really.. ? This should result in some interesting comments ..

(fetching coffee and bikies , brb )

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
on the skirt is fine... but how is it in practice.. ?

is bending down low to fill , particularly on a wet day, going to be difficult if you have problems with your legs or back ?

just a thought..
I took the opportunity today to take a photo as it always says far more than words. My fill point is only just below my knee and as you can see there is realistically no weight on the skirt as the fill hose is largely supporting the connection.
I must add that this arrangement is far superior and user friendly than inside a locker for those who advocate that :LOL:
CA_03251511211766-XL.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fitted mine to the skirt twice now.. When I removed it from the miller I spent £2.90 on a blanking plate where it was.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I took the opportunity today to take a photo as it always says far more than words. My fill point is only just below my knee and as you can see there is realistically no weight on the skirt as the fill hose is largely supporting the connection.
I must add that this arrangement is far superior and user friendly than inside a locker for those who advocate that :LOL:
CA_03251511211766-XL.jpg
If there was any flex on yours techno I'd be disappointed ! . that's how mine looked when my chap filled mine and mine doesn't have a strengthening support like yours .
Again a great pic to help any future installers , thanks .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@ScotJimland Thanks for the clips! (y) Took my moho to put lpg in the refillable gaslow bottle for the first time this week...and came away unfulfilled. :whistle:Couldn't work out how to connect the hose and neither could I lift it either. Im very aware look young & healthy but I have invisible conditions that means I have no strength or dexterity. Methinks I may have to work more on my smile and feminine charm to get help with a refil...:makeup::giggler:
You often find the outer collar on the filler nozzle is not fully rotated back to the stop, without it in this position there now way you will get it to connect.
It is a lot easier if two of you do the job as often the locking clip on the pump leaver does not work or is broken, one can hold the nozzle in place and the trigger while the other pushes & holds the button on the pump.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Thats why I went inside locker. Simple right angle sheet fixed to bottle slide, carries filler. Allows spare 6kg bottle to fit behind, not got round to fitting BBQ point yet.. Fully removable if we change van.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I hope I didn't read above that the OP has contemplated fitting the filler and pipe to a part of their MH open to the interior?!!!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back