bigwhitethingonwheels

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
west yorks
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all. So in 2 weeks I'm off touring the french alps, Italian lakes and Switzerland, I'm planning 4 weeks for the trip. I/we (the family, 4 kids mrs bigwhitethingonwheels and myself) can get through a 13 kg cylinder in 1 week away, and from what I can gather France, Italy and Switzerland all use different cylinders and connectors, my motorhome gas locker can accomodate one 6kg and one 13kg cylinder. So what should I do

a. go out with gas locker full with 6kg and 13kg cylinders and try and squeeze in an extra two 13kg cylinders somewhere in the motorhome? (not practical as space is at a premium)

b. go out with one 6kg uk cylinder and purchase more cylinders and connectors when entering each country and do what with the empty cylinders?

c. Purchase a universal connector to refill the calor gas bottles at any auto gas station although I am not sure on the legality of this or whether it can even be done? Link Removed

Advice please

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My advice is if your using a 13kg bottle a week at this time of year.............Get a gas test done on the van.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We've just returned from a month in France/Spain and have used only about 8Kg of gas. I think you must have a problem.
If you're really bothered about gas get a refillable setup (Gaslow, Alugas or the other one) then you can fill up at most forecourts in France, though few and far between in Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

bigwhitethingonwheels

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
west yorks
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Yeah 13kg is on the top side but with 6 showers, washing up 2/3 times and getting through 100L+ of water a day! Running the fridge on gas you soon get through it! Not to mention all the cooking, three burner hob and oven on full two times a day.

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Yeah 13kg is on the top side but with 6 showers, washing up 2/3 times and getting through 100L+ of water a day! Running the fridge on gas you soon get through it! Not to mention all the cooking, three burner hob and oven on full two times a day.

Save gas and eat salad at least once a day, go swimming and - healthy option and saves on gas. If you use up all your gas bottles there is little or nothing you can do. When holiday is over get a refillable gas tank slung underneath and then you can fill it anywhere in Europe.

Norman

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In 9 months and 9000 miles we have still not used the gas in the 6kg bottle that came with the van!
It's just me and the wife and we do use sites for showers (not every day), washing up, EHU for heating but I cook breakfast, some meals and make tea using the gas.
You might be able to reduce the gas used but if not the connector on ebay looks good - enjoy your trip, sounds like you're going to be busy - too much cooking and washing up for me
Anyone used one of these adaptors?
Vic

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you go for a Gaslow refillable cylinder make sure you get the appropriate European adapter for the Autogas pump at the petrol station. The standard fit one is UK only.

As far as I know, the biggest capacity cylinder Gaslow do is 11Kg, and the gauge will show as empty after 80% of your gas has gone. You can go for a dual cylinder installation with automatic switching but it's all money. I'm having a single Gaslow cylinder fitted in the next couple of days so I'll be interested to see how it performs abroad. We're taking a 6Kg Calor cylinder as a reserve, but it normally takes us at least a year to get through a 13Kg cylinder, so I suspect we may not have to use it.

As others have said, your existing gas consumption seems a bit excessive, especially for summer.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all. So in 2 weeks I'm off touring the french alps, Italian lakes and Switzerland, I'm planning 4 weeks for the trip. I/we (the family, 4 kids mrs bigwhitethingonwheels and myself) can get through a 13 kg cylinder in 1 week away, and from what I can gather France, Italy and Switzerland all use different cylinders and connectors, my motorhome gas locker can accomodate one 6kg and one 13kg cylinder. So what should I do

a. go out with gas locker full with 6kg and 13kg cylinders and try and squeeze in an extra two 13kg cylinders somewhere in the motorhome? (not practical as space is at a premium)

b. go out with one 6kg uk cylinder and purchase more cylinders and connectors when entering each country and do what with the empty cylinders?

c. Purchase a universal connector to refill the calor gas bottles at any auto gas station although I am not sure on the legality of this or whether it can even be done? Link Removed

Advice please

All of the above is exactly why I had a 40ltr underslung tank fitted.
The e-bay adapter looks good-BUT most garages have notices prohibiting the filling of gas bottles on the forecourt-there may or may not be legislation (as it states on the e-bay advert) but I wouldn't be happy trying to argue the toss at a busy garage in French,Italian or whatever.
Staying on campsites now and then would ease your water and gas usuage-but would increase your costs.
We found that trying to live in a Motorhome exactly as you live at home is quite difficult,and soon learnt to make compromises.
Any way,all that showering,washing-up,cooking etc takes up valuable time when you could be out having Fun ::bigsmile:

Mike.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We use about 100ltrs of water in about 4 days. Our recent scandinavian trip, 9 weeks, used about 55ltrs gas (about 27kg).

Before we went we had the alugas system fitted with 2 11kg bottles which meant that we could fill up in Norway. Well worthwhile, otherwise we would not have been able to carry enough gas. With 3 weeks above the arctic circle we did not stint on use of the heating!

As others have said I find the consumption figures quoted in this thread hard to understand. Seem excessive.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the germans have been filling bottles for years .so have hundreds in the uk. if you arent going to spain there are cheaper versions of the fillers . but dont worry most spanish garages will lend you an adaptor if they have one. just follow the instructions .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

With reference to the oven use, it sounds like you need to ween those kids off the Turkey Dinosaurs and Potato Smiley Faces!!!!:roflmto:
Mind you, they are on holiday and we let our healthy eating slip on holidays too!

Are you all having 'Navy Showers'? The water consumption sounds excessive.

Kid training might be the order of the day. No running of taps, no leaving the fridge door open for ages, etc.:thumb:

If you are doing all this already, I apologise, but it does say 'Newbie' on your profile.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back