LPG Availability in the UK

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DigglyDog, Apr 3, 2016.

1. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

Now, I've just completed a Gasit conversion to my little Bailey 620 and very nice it is too...

Last weekend on the way to an Easter break in Wales, dropped in at my local BP station for gas and the pump was being worked on. Never mind, I thought, get some in Wales...
    Big mistake.
    Spend much of easter saturday driving around mid Wales looking for a garage with lpg - the myLPG.eu app is useless, most of the listed garages no longer have gas pumps, only cylinders and one would only serve me if I had a commercial account with them !
    Eventually found one 23 miles from Rhandirmwyn ! The garage 'up the hill' that used to do it now doesn't..
    Never mind, got home to Milton Keynes, went back to my local BP garage to fill up to check usage - no pump.
    Attendant says all BP garages now pulling LPG from the product range. This seems to be confirmed by my trip to Norfolk this weekend where in spite of lit up signs with autogas prices, pumps taped up.
    Is it me or have I just spent a couple of hundred quid on a system that's being phased out ?
    :devil:

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I think morrisons still sells it.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I fill up at a local Calor depot.

4. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Watching this as I'm fitting a gaslow system in my motorhome and not sure where to fill up

5. Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan Funster

I fill up at local texaco garage.

6. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

If all else fails Asda at cribs juct 17

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SandraL

SandraL Funster

I have an account with countrywide farmers. I just registered my vehicle with them, they sent key to allow me to fill at their unattended sites. They get their money by debiting my bank account once a month. Quite often I don't use any for several months ( in Europe ) but they don't seem to mind. They aren't everywhere but do have a pump in Bath, lower Bristol road by windsor bridge adjacent to tyre depot.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Shell garages sell LPG as do some Morrisons but not all. Calor main agents will sell it as will FloGas agents. If your really struggling try to find a private hire driver and ask him where the lads fill up. I use Bolton Bottled Gas @42p a litre.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Looks like you are close enough to be worthwhile opening an account with countrywide farmers.

As an account holder you are provided with an electronic key (£5 returnable deposit) to access all 41 of their outlets, 24/7, and are billed each month by direct debit and is usually a bit cheaper than major outlets.
    All their outlets, despite their name, are along the welsh border area from Oswestry and down as far as Bristol.

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Content.ice?page=AutogasHome&pgForward=businesshome

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Filled up with 21 litres of Auto Gas at a Shell service station on the A3 south of Guildford last Friday.
    It appears that many BP stations are no longer supplying Auto Gas.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Try Flogas depots, Calor gas depots, many Shell filling stations (in partnership with Calor), some Morrisons store filling stations, and Autogas converters yards.

I am using the fillLPG App for Android, on my tablet, and it is very accurate with daily updates re availability and prices. Great if you have a GPS facility on your device. (y)

Like us, you are too far east to take advantage of Countrywide Farmers many Autogas outlets, which is the cheapest Autogas in Britain. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

12. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

Thanks guys, I'm obviousy living in the wrong place...

• Like Like x 2
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Good question, not just you..

Could be wrong, but I think LPG powered cars have been a flop .. so sales of Autogas will be disappointing.. keeping an Autogas pump just to refill campervan bottles/tanks is not going to justify having a pump on the forecourt with the associated maintenance and running costs .. especially as it wasn't installed for that purpose.. so envisage more closing .. our local Shell stations still sell it.. but may ask the next time I fill up with petrol if they have plans to stop selling it .

Hope I am wrong, last year I installed 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles..

• Like Like x 1
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I cant agree more Jim, but I think its the conversion costs putting motorists off more than the use of lpg.

I think an average cheaper system for a car is going to be around £1000.
    But, if I ever buy a large engined petrol car it WILL get a conversion.
    After using our rv on both petrol and lpg I really didnt notice any difference except the cost per mile....but then it was 6.8ltr, 360bhp and 7500kg.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Chrisy

Chrisy Funster

BP has announced that they are moving out of LPG at their service stations. All sites are under review as they are mostly losing money due to the decline in LPG powered vehicles.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. scotjimland

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

I'm hoping that the situation in Europe is better - that's the main reason I did the Gasit conversion. I suppose I could use one of the leftover 'normal' tanks on one side of the changeover valve when in the UK..

18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

My last two fills have been at BP stations. There are still plenty about but I don't understand the preoccupation with BP?
    There are plenty of alternative outlets and BP is not the cheapest by far. ASDA currently 47.7p Last BP was 59.9 at Chester

• Like Like x 1
  19. scotjimland

yes.. hopefully , my reason as well..

but isn't it ironic.. .. just as Spain is catching up installing LPG stations.. the rest of Europe may be winding down..

• Like Like x 2
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The BP announcement about removing LPG from their service stations was about a year ago wasn't it? Maybe more now, can't actually remember.

However, there are plenty of places that sell it.

Like @JockandRita I use the FillLPG Android app. They also have a web site - http://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.php. It shows BP Linford Wood as still having LPG (but expensive) in 1 March plus Shell at Leadenhall and Broughton (updated 21 and 30 March respectively) in the Milton Keynes area.

When this subject was last discussed, back in October, I mentioned that the nearest (independent) garage to us selling LPG had its pump covered. It was out of order for a while and we feared it had finished but we went past a couple of weeks ago and it was back working again

We tend to fill up as we pass somewhere.