Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi all,

Shortly travelling to italy via france and have previously seen signs at the entrance to tunnels that show a vehicle with a line through it and the letters LPG, does this mean that if your motorhome is powered by LPG you must not go through said tunnels but find an alternate route. As you may have guessed we run on LPG so if this is so we need to plan another route. Sorry if this has been brought up on a previous thread but dont remember seeing it. :whatthe:
cheers,
Mick & Sheila

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
your right, lpg powered vehicles are not allowed through the tunnel.
think its a crappy rule tbh.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Yup it powered only sadly (got loads of Tesco vouchers at the moment:cry:) always wonder if I had not registered my RV with the DVLA as LPG would they ever know?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi; Mick said "tunnels" from that I assume he means road tunnels abroad, not the chunnel.

That sign Mick applies to LPG tankers, not LPG powered vehicles.

Olley

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Page 3 of 12 details the regs for Mont Blanc tunnel - gas powered vehicles are allowed but only with prior notification and display of permit.
Link Removed
Might be worth Googling for any other tunnels you might want to go through to get specific info on each tunnel.
Channel Tunnel is a no-no for gas powered vehicles but ok, up to a certain weight of gas and tank, for gas used for cooking, heating and fridge. This is probably because of the smaller amount contained in most habitation gas systems compared to propulsion systems and the fact that hab systems gas take off is in gas form not liquid as is the case for propulsion. (small gas leak = small gas leak, bad enough! small liquid leak = BIG gas leak, bad news.)
Have fun.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I've not yet done it but I'm told that the Channel Tunnel put MH's into a seperate que and go down checking the tank valve is turned off (And that's all they require)

On one of the forums I think I read that they don't always do that either. (Just ask the question "Is your gas tank off?" )

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi we went through the Gottard in 05, nobody checked if we had gas or not, I expect they are all the same.

Olley

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I have been asked and then checked at check in, both on tunnel and Hull ferry, maybe they just don't believe me!
No separate line, but it was at a quiet (cheap) time for the tunnel.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi we went through the Gottard in 05, nobody checked if we had gas or not, I expect they are all the same.
After the criminal trials following the Mont Blanc tunnel fire, I wouldn't be too sure ,Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
From the Mont Blanc tunnel official website ..

Link Removed

1) To drive through the Tunnel safely:

- make sure your vehicle is in good working order
- tell the toll booth operator if your vehicle uses LPG: it won't cost you any more
- observe the traffic regulations
- follow the information given

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back