Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Taunton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I have had a gaslow system fitted to my Bessy and am taking a gap year in Europe. I have purchased the adapters for filling, but 3 weeks in and I'm struggling to get the handset to connect well and fill my tanks. I'm in France, so using a dish type, but after the first ltr or so the gas starts spurting out the side... any advice on how to get a good connection? I'm scaring myself silly at the moment! Thanks, Robyn.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hello and welcome

very hard to advise on the problem without seeing it

what I would do is try to find an outlet where they serve you, let them do it and watch

If same happens you will need to find a solution, could be a faulty fitting adaptor, but that's unlikely

Did you fill in the UK before leaving to know the fill system is correct?

good luck

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If the adaptor is screwed in tightly and the hose is connected correctly, in theory, you shouldn't get a problem.

Is it worth asking the Fuel Station attendant to help you?

GASLOW 1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
notsogrand

notsogrand

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Taunton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi David, yes, the system was all working fine in the UK, and with the help of another motorist I have managed to fill up once in France so I know the system is working. Unfortunately the chap who helped did it so quickly that I didn't see properly. As you suggested, will try and find a serviced station, rather than self serve.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
The fact another motorist filled means system is ok. The french gun fits onto the dish with claws thatgrip inside of dish.
I have seen 2 types of gun . First has trigger like a petrol hose, the trigger is pulled up with fingers and a locking latch is moved at rear of trigger to hold it in place. Gun is now locked onto dish.
The other has a lever that is swung after offering up hose to dish. Once again gun is now locked to dish.
Do not let gas get on your skin as it will "burn".

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Be very very careful LPG can cause severe burns.

OP
OP
notsogrand

notsogrand

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Taunton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Keith, I wonder if I'm not screwing it in tight enough? ... I've got quite weak hands... if I get the attendant to help screw it in, can I leave the adapter fitted and leave the cap for the bayonet off? ... assuming I can shut the cabinet door... or does that cause a possibility of leaking gas? Thanks Robyn

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We had a problem the other day in France but closer inspection showed the " O" ring on the adapter had split and perished

OP
OP
notsogrand

notsogrand

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Taunton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks, will wear rubber gardening gloves to protect my hands... they might help me screw the fitting in tighter too...

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks, will wear rubber gardening gloves to protect my hands... they might help me screw the fitting in tighter too...

I was just about to say that, the gloves will definitely help as it does sound as if your not tightening it enough..

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had a problem the other day in France but closer inspection showed the " O" ring on the adapter had split and perished

As Alan says, we have also had this problem so worth checking, most garages will lend you an adaptor if you ask them. (y) Bob

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Leaving adapter on will not be a problem as the non return valve is in the original filler. That assumes it is in a locker so not protruding from side of van.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Do wear gloves!
If any liquid lands on your skin it will burn you.
I was not aware of any O-ring on my adaptor but have not had an issue with it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Do wear gloves!
If any liquid lands on your skin it will burn you.
I was not aware of any O-ring on my adaptor but have not had an issue with it.
The O ring is top of the thread. Bob

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 18
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Another point to consider is the way the fill hose is connected to the dish adaptor.
If the adaptor is not tightly screwed on the weight of the hose may well turn it back a little allowing the gas to escape.
Make sure that the hose is connected in a way that will not turn the adaptor anti clockwise when you let go to push the fill button.
I think it was someone on Fun who received serious burns to their hands when that happened.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back