Low Wattage Hairdryer in Motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We are not big power users in the motorhome. I have a 600w inverter, is there any point looking for a hairdryer that will work with it?

I cannot imagine the 12v being any more efficient than a fan; are they?

And no,:BigGrin: I know I have no need for a hairdryer, it's for Sian, who got used to firing up the 5.5kva Genny in the Rv and running her regular dryer. :BigGrin:

2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

In a word No

You can get hot brushes that run off butane, but I have not found an alternative for a hair drier.

Anyway you thinking of growing some Jim:Rofl1:

3. artona

artona

The hot blowers in the Saabs are superb Jim. There must be a way of installing one into the water system of the motorhome via pipes from the engine. Start her up and there you ahve it after a few minutes warming.

As for the 12v ones they are naff but if a womens got to have a hairdryer to make her day at least it will keep her quiet for a few hours :Laughing::Laughing:

4. artona

artona

He was watching dancing on ice and thought he too had £20k spare :Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

My missus (Carol) uses a Revlon Hot Air Curling brush - like curling tongs but with a brush attachment that also blows hot air through the brush bit (hence the name) so it curls and dries at the same time and it's only 300w.

6. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

best bet is to shove her head out of the window, hee hee:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The daft thing is that there is no reason why a 12v hairdryer could not be effective, if you were prepared for it to draw 50A + from your batteries for a short while, after all your inverter will be drawing more, for the same amount of heat, as it is less than 100% efficient. It's just that no one makes one (no demand they would say)

9. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I bought one for Becki, as she has a thing about her hair being 'done'. She is a short-haired tom-boy type so never really understood it really. But if it thunders, she will sleep upright in case of power cuts!:Rofl1:

Guess it's a woman thing:Blush:

Anyway, as for effectiveness - depends what you call a good night. If you love spending time with your wife, then it is a definite no-no!

If not, then it is ideal- as by the time her hair is dry, you would have been out by yourself, had a meal, got a little drunk and stumble back to bed!:Rofl1:

10. Addie

Addie Deleted User

Forget 12v hairdryers, we've had about 5 now and you're better just putting your head in front of the cab blown air vents on hot.

We've opted for a 2100W Ring Inverter (£100) mounted under the front passenger seat and connected direct to the cab battery under the floor so my girlfriend can use her 2000W hairdryer (which actually only pulls 1400w in reality).

Only to be used with the engine running before a decent trip - but keeps her happy!

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just the job, but where did you get one for £100, cheapest I have found is £219

12. mick noe

mick noe Funster

hazel runs her normal home hairdryer on low setting off the 800w (peak?) inverter paid £40 new for it on eBay just need a polishing cloth for me these days :Rofl1:

13. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

14. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

One here for £130 :thumb:

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Exactly what we use. Got a 2000w one of a funster on here, a posh pure sine wave one and although older than others, works a treat.
    Check back to that post when I asked a similar question and i had nothing but negative replies telling me that batteries would be flat by the time Nikki had finished and what's the point. Well 10 months later on, Im pleased to say, a) We have never had a the batteries go flat and b) Nikki looks as beautiful as ever whenever we go away without me having to dig out the generator. :thumb:
    I would not allow her a 12v one as TBH it would be all right for you Jim, but I think Sian might struggle :Blush:

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I wouldn't buy from that site Dane, The copyright has not changed since 2008 and it looks like they still have the Christmas banner up:Smile: