Low Van Batery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OddSocks, Sep 22, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

I have not moved the van for a couple of weeks or three and the van battery is getting very low, I checked it on the switch board thingy. I am going to take her out for a long run soon. If I find there is not enough battery to start the engine, can I jump it from the leisure battery? Or will this break something?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

HEY ODDY! Rumour had it that you had been eaten by a TORY!.....:)

Should be fine, just make sure that all your 12volt stuff that runs off your hab battery is turned off first.(y)

3. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I start my boat on a leisure battery all the time. No probs.

5. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

I was reading the above link from the c&cc and the advice seems to be they have different make up....you might be lucky with your boat????

6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Its my very last leisure battery..........And so it dosent matter what happens to it. I have replaced all the others with traction batteries, but a one off start wont hurt his battery, in fact, it might just jolt some crap off the plates!.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OddSocks

Ha ha! No tories here! Been house hunting, might even have found a place. Have to see how things pan out this week. Very exciting!

Thanks, interesting article, just had a quick look through. I was worried about the different construction.

It is too far away from a power outlet to hook it up. Might see if I can redirect the charging wires from the solar panel to it from the leisure battery. I always thought there should be a switch there so that I could decide to top up the van battery with the solar if needed. Might see about putting one in.

8. OddSocks

Might give it a go then. The leisure batter isn't great to be honest, bit old! Solar is constantly charging it even when not used, it should be trickle charging not fully charging all day!

It needs replacing soon any how, might risk it!

Thanks Guys :)

9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Couple the habitation battery up to the starter battery, then go and get a brew, read the paper, or put a bet on. After about half an hour, go fire up the van. The habitation battery should have put 'gently' put something into the starter battery during your break, and therefore any 'strain' will that the starting procedure may cause will be greatly removed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You need one of these: http://www.vanbitz.com/product/battery-master/ It's fit and forget so no switches to worry about or forget to switch back (y)

11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Lots of leisure batteries are just starter batteries anyway, if you leave them connected to the engine battery for a while before you start it will put some OOMPH back into the starter battery and put less strain on the leisure ones.

If they are all the same type of battery you could connect them all up together in storage with a light wire and just disconnect for starting, put a small fuse in and it will stop you frying the connection cables.

sorry Tootles just realised I duplicated your idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

As an aside, I feel a lot of the technical advice offered by the big 2 clubs is out of date, more relavent to caravans and is not based on real world experience.
    Motorhomers should take it with skepticism and caution.

The clubs haven't a clue about off grid use, do not encourage it and create fear of being off EHU within their membership! After all, campsite dependancy sells nights on their pitches!

A quick read of any article discussing such matters in their magazines is all the proof you need!
    The articles are usually very vague and present the products which make their advertisers the most money as best solutions!:doh:

• Like Like x 1
  13. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

From all the research I did before deciding on Trojan for use in conjunction with a large solar panel, it would appear that most "leisure batteries" are just starter batteries with a picture of a caravan or boat on the label.
    So to answer the OP I would think it's ok to use his leisure battery to start his engine(y)

14. Tootles

Tootles Funster