Low slung exhaust pipe on the Ducato

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chris, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I was looking at our Scout the other day and noticed that the exhaust pipe is quite close to the ground.

Since then I have checked other Fiat base vans which look the same.

Do they ever hit the floor on speed ramps or ferry ramps?

Our previous van was an A class on a Fiat base but I am sure there was more clearance with that one.

2. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Ours is quite low But then the whole lot seems low to me, just hope the ferry ramp is leval otherwise there will be Big queue of traffic behind me when I refuse to scrape it onto the ferry.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I too have noticed this on our Apache and although initially I was very wary about speed humps, lowering the window a little to listen to any tell-tale clank or scrape, I have never had a problem. I have used a couple of ferries and likewise no problem. What I do find I have problems with is the rear overhang of the bodywork, the rear Towbar I fitted often catches the ground if turning into or off a steep incline. However I must admit, I added a little extra steel to the endplates of the bar to assist in protecting the actual bodywork by making contact with the ground before the GRP corner panel would, much like the effect of caravan corner steadies (in the raised position obviously).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Because ours also seems to stick out slightly, I have on a number of occasions heard that awful grinding sound when it catches low kerbs in fuel stations and when tight to high kerbs sur le continent!

• Like Like x 1
  5. iandsm

iandsm Funster

We have a Rapido and that is low at the front. The exhaust does occasionally scrape over speed bumps but I take them slow and of course the exhaust is on rubber hangars/ mounts so it can move up an inch or so of scrapped. Every time I look I don't see any damage just a little mark or two on the bottom of the box. So take it easy and you should be ok. I have to say I would be a bit concerned on a ferry ramp or other steep slope and I avoid steep slopes when I can.

• Like Like x 1
  6. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Having seen a fairly disasterous entry by a long MH onto the Largs ferry (and intending doing a lot of ferry work myself). I opted again for a minimum rear overhang Longish WB van) and the standard FIAT ducato metal chassis. Which is quite high in the fist place.

Went on a lot of ferries in my Elddis 115 with no problems and the pug chassis. I also had to go up and down a very rough track with oversized speed/drainaige bumps in that van (which saloon cars often grounded on) and again no probs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

We to like @mikeyrv, noticed how low they are. But touch wood, have not had any problems so far. First time out, we had to reverse onto a ferry (think it was Portsmouth) that was awkward, managed to take the rubber end-cap of the tow bar due to the angle of the ramp. But exhaust was fine. (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  8. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Actually this may put your mind at rest...Carado T132 on FIAT cab.......go Carado....go (y)

I put mine up on a small kerb and was ok.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho Funster

You do need to be careful when there are high curbs or approaching tolls or car park barriers. The end of the pipe will scrape. Haven't noticed it scraping on speed bumps. cant comment on ferries

• Like Like x 1
  10. peter marshall

peter marshall

I am on my third Fiat with that type of Pipe no problems. Pete

• Like Like x 1
  11. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

I think is always wise to carry spare rubber exhaust mountings, at a fiver apiece if any snap because of being brittle they don't take long to replace. A damaged exhaust can be expensive to replace.

• Like Like x 1
  12. makems

makems Funster Life Member

We have a 30" tag axle Fiat based MH with the low level Alko chassis and the exhaust pipe is ridiculously low.
    On the day we collected the van we were heading for a C&CC rally near OCford and had to cross a small hump back bridge.
    The inevitable happened and the exhaust grounded with an awful grinding sound. And we had jus had it a few hours.
    We have since clobbered it numerous times even on innocuous looking bumps and lumps. Once even under up with a great big lump of turf jammed in the exhaust when we were reversing onto a grass pitch.
    No idea what we could do about it though apart form just grin and bear it and avoid obvious hazards like big bumps and kerbs.

13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I hope the place where we used to hire from doesn't read this forum! :D
    One of the vans we rented, I bashed the exhaust pipe into a kerb, and destroyed the rubber hanger. Luckily we were in Italy, so I popped into a Fiat dealers and purchased a new hanger, and kept quiet when we returned the van! :D
    Now we have our own, I am very concious that the exhaust pipe is very low.

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Scrapped ours a few times but so far it is all good.
    It is actually the same height on the Autotrail as is fitted to our old Miller