Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Cant find anything on this, just brought a 2003 Ducato based Kon-Tiki, one of the small problems I have is the Tacho is reading low, i.e. on tick over there is no movement but changing up through the gears I get a reading of 1k to 2k.
Any ideas, head unit, sender or something else?
Where do they take the sender signal from?

Cheers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Diesels generally take a signal from the alternator....but modern ones may use the engine management computer.

is it charging ok using a meter.
above tickover it should read around 14.2v

If thats ok it could be the head.

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Thanks good place to start will get my meter out :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Could be a sensor on the flywheel. It should be visible externally somewhere around the bell housing, or what passes for one.

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Thank you,
Yes that was part of the problem, don't know diesels much so did not know if im looking at the alternator or for a sender for a problem.

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Having had another look at my tacho it seems that the needle has zeroed way lower than the zero indicated on the dial, hence reading low all the way up, any ideas if this can be reset or is it a gauge fault?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the sender puts out a variable voltage to the gauge (not ecu driven as i recall on 2003) if its reading low, either the sensor is faulty or there is an earthing fault. no idea where my service manual disk is for the old models. should be still able to get a pirated copy on ebay. this will have everything you need to trace it

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Needles now showing correctly when turned off can be a sign that the dash has been removed and not put back together right. With the engine off but the ignition on is it still showing below 0?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
All the gauges on my 2004 Ducato started sticking. I suspect it was because I'd had a long journey with the screen demisters on flat out.
I took them apart (quite easy - two screws I think) and carefully lubricated all the needle pivots with silicon spray.
Sorted

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Thanks for all the reply's, Yes used of dials sitting back on to a "stop" pin opp the zero position, on this dial doesn't seem to be a "stop so needle goes almost down to the 6 o'clock position with ignition off/ on, then rises with engine revs but only round to about the 8 o'clock position ?
Guess the needle could have slipped but wondered if the dial could be zeroed electronically?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back