Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
My son has fitted low profile wheels to his wv transporter, converted to campervan, is there any advantage to doing this ? to me it doesn,nt look right,

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
None what so ever :ROFLMAO: apart from appearance which you say does not suit the van ::bigsmile: They usually get bigger wheels to compensate the smaller rubber :Eeek:
The ride will suffer as the now elastic bands will not absorb the bumps any where near as much as the normal tires :winky:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
None what so ever :ROFLMAO: apart from appearance which you say does not suit the van ::bigsmile: They usually get bigger wheels to compensate the smaller rubber :Eeek:
The ride will suffer as the now elastic bands will not absorb the bumps any where near as much as the normal tires :winky:
terry

Agree 100%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
He needs to advise his insurance company of the change - they may increase his insurance. Failure to do so may invalidate his insurance. They are looking at any opportunity to refuse or reduce payout these days. Any modifications should be advised. The other thing is low profile tyres have a very short mileage life circa 12500 miles compared with double or treble on standard rims.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
They tend to fit a bigger wheel and fit a smaller profile tyre on the rim so in fact it is the same size, what I would be cautious about is the weight factor, the low profiles dont have the same weight limits as the campers cos they have commercial tyres, heavy duty.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Low profile tyres may also affect the accuracy of the vehicle's speedo.

Yep , i agree, as his wheels are now 16 inch
the altered ratio (and speedo error) due to larger radius wheels will be cancelled by the lower profile tyres.

the rolling radius will be very close to what it was on standard wheels.

points against....expensive and more difficult to remove/change
harsher ride.

points for ...much less tyre roll on corners so greater stability

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the worst example i've ever seen of this was Suzuki's Vitara 'Fatboy'

A 4x4 sat on ultra wide low profile tyres....absolutely ridiculous vehicle....neither a road car or an off roader.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back