Low profile - pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by acropolis22, Oct 16, 2016.

1. acropolis22

acropolis22 Funster

Title says it all really. Bit of a basic question I guess, but I'm just trying to understand what is the point of low profile motorhomes? I used to own a Hymer 584, which was quite tall..........

2. Bart

Bart Funster

So that they can go through Rouen without making themselves a convertible :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Low profile means a harder ride.
    Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. acropolis22

acropolis22 Funster

Interesting, do you know why?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Our next MH will probably be low(er) profile. Main reason is we don't want to sleep over the cab any more so we can lose the Luton, which will make it a bit more aerodynamic and fuel efficient up front and possibly a bit more stable on corners. Another reason for limiting the height to 3m or less is we can use SANEF toll tags in France - the Telepeage barriers have a height limit on them. I'm not mad keen to lose too much storage up there but at the same time I can see the benefits of better top ventilation in warmer climes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. andy63

andy63 Funster

I'd guess better aerodynamics and hence fuel saving over its lifetime... but stick the usual bits on them like awnings ,panels ,dome etc and not sure how that stand's up as a point in favour..

Most seem to have a lovely panoramic skylight ,but some think that's a waste of space...
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

I have totally misread and misunderstood the OP's thread.
    I was onto low profile tyres. :rolleyes:
    I think low profile M/H's are a great Idea, but we are only short people..
    Our Autotrail is 3.05 Mtr high and only a 2 berth but we like extra storage above the cab for bedding and other light stuff.
    We also have a large panoramic opening light up there too, which we really like for the hot places we tend to visit.
    I can't see the point of having a very high van (unless you are claustrophobic).
    Good luck with what you decide.
    Mitch.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ours also is 3.05 mtrs high and has a drop down bed. When it's up most people are amazed how much spacial it is inside. It's a 4 berth but only ever used the gigantic upstairs bed. There are advantages for lower Moho's and also design preferences

9. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Another factor with a low profile - there is less risk of damaging the roof on low branches or other obstacles. I think it's easy to forget just how high the roof is with a 'luton' - have certainly seen quite a few damaged.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Hate low profile tyres with a vengeance,most uncomfortable ride ever .thought they looked cool on my car and being a bit of a poser had them fitted when bought .but never again might look cool but a very hard ride .. So never again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowbirds

snowbirds Funster

With a lo-profile, less wind buffer,look prettier, better fuel consumption,and I for would not like to sleep in a coffin shaped box over the cab even if i could get up there after a few bottles of wine.I love my fixed bed in the back.

Snowbirds.

• Like Like x 1
  12. acropolis22

acropolis22 Funster

Thanks everyone, for your replies. What about ground clearance? Do low profile vans have less, or is there just less headroom inside?

13. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

We've had three vans; a 3.1m tall overcab, a 7.3m long, 2.5m tall, low profile and now a 2.9m tall A class. To be honest, headroom was not an issue, all had plenty. Our low profile gave great MPG, around 32mpg compared to 24/25 for the overcab and 26/27 for the A class. The bigger issues with the low profile {Chausson Allegro 96} was the very long overhang, the very poor payload and the meagre storage space, particularly that we could access from outside. Obviously if you pick the right van, a low profile can meet all of these requirements. But ours didn't. Current van suits us.

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Really the low profile ones are a bit miss-named.. The only real difference is the frontal area usually.
    With no big bulbous bit to accommodate a bed over the cab the fronts are that much lower.
    They run on the same chassis gear as high profile units so there is no difference in ground clearances, and my limited experience of low profiles has shown me there is no difference in head room either.

We prefer high profile as I snore like a dragon and fidget all night.. Woman uses the rear double fixed bed while I occupy the cave over the cab.
    With 20+ feet between us we both get a good nights sleep ! :)

15. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

East Sussex, Nr Bateman's & West Sussex, Horsham
    Agree with Jaws, there's not a lot of difference with the hi profiles to low profiles. Hi profiles just give you a little more space, and storage. Also, the ability to easy cater for littles one's / kids is easier. We use our over cab for the kids when they want to come, or for storing vast quantities of beers and wines on our beer runs. The Mrs also stores a lot of the big bulky soft furnishings up there, and extra cushions etc... The large opening panoramic roof is also great...