low mileage on motorhome's

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by chesterfield hooligan, Apr 21, 2011.

1. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

We are looking at buying a Hymer and a lot of them give very low mileage's, my question is how preveliant is clocking on motorhome's. Our van conversion has done 250000 mile's and run's like a dream and would not even think of altering the mileage, 500 mile's on a tank of disel at 60mph Spain and back twice in two week's never missed a beat towing a trailer with two large motorbike's on. I also have a 316 Sprinter I am converting for work 350000 mile's again it fly's and again drive's mint, so the question is it happening on motorhomes has anyone suspected their's has been cloocked.
    please excuse the spelling/grammer

2. mick noe

mick noe Funster

silly thing is when you speak to dealers at shows etc any more than 5k a year is considered to be high mileage ( my works van 50k / year sweet as a nut every three years replaced) so dealers shudder at a five year old van with more than 25k on clock (6 months use for white van man:Rofl1:)

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

very low milage on MH's is the norm, we go to portugal every year and our milage is never more that 6000 a year, some times as low as 4000 miles.

Doug...

4. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

I don't think that more than 5k a year is excessive, nor do I think that dealers really do either. Trouble is, they use this 'supposedly' high mileage as a stick to beat you with when you try and sell them, or part exchange a vehicle.

It's a different story when they sell it on...... 'High mileage sir?? Not at all 10k a year is nothing at all. Don't forget that the base is a commercial vehicle specifically designed for high mileages.......'!!!!!

They really do like their bread to be buttered on both sides - it was ever thus!

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We do anywhere between 8 and 14k miles a year, we've done 4k in the last two months, everywhere is a long way from West Wales:Smile:

6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Well Doug, salesmen are second cousins to politicians you know!

Doug...

7. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Mileage ...

Average UK motorhome mileage is 3500 :RollEyes:Source was a insurance database.