Rattys

Free Member
Sep 26, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 months into a 6 month trip around Europe, about to drive into the Algarve from Spain.

Fitted an 11Kg Gaslow system in November to the 20 year old Elnagh Columbia. Using a 37mBar regulator supplied by Gaslow, via a rubber hose to the solid gas main on the van.

Other than on very windy days, gas system has been working fine, until a couple of days ago. Suddenly there's only enough gas available to do one thing at a time (i.e. One hob ring OR the fridge OR the hot water).

Done some fault finding.
- Cylinder is 90% full, and a good flow of gas comes out with the regulator removed.
- No oil in the flexi pipe, can blow air through with a hob ring pressed in, can't blow anything through with everything off (i.e. no leaks).
- With the regulator fitted and the flexi hose removed, there is very little flow out of the regulator. Light pressure from my finger completely stops it. I've tried cleaning out the small vent hole, and the main outlet. No gunk or oil found.

I suspect the regulator is knackered, but it's a pressed metal sealed unit so I can't do anything else with it.

Am I right in thinking that the Gaslow fittings on the regulator are unique (i.e. I can't buy a spare out in Portugal)? I'll be ringing them in a bit, but just wondered if anyone had any advice on other things to try, as I suspect we are stuck.

Thanks.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Where did you last refill with lpg? Spanish lpg has a high percentage of butane so does not work well when its cold. To prove if this is the problem pour hot water over the in use gas cylinder. This will raise temp of the lpg enabling a higher pressure, (but not for long)
Is it only a problem early morning or later in day when warmer?
If ok later in day points towards butane in gas.
Portugal is better gas as nealy all propane.
Can you borrow a regulator from another van? to prove it is faulty? I guess unlikely.
The gaslow regulator is 21.8 lh thread input as used in spain! and portugal for hoses outputing from a local regulator.
So you should be able to get local bits to get from gaslow cylinder 21.8 male to hose. Then need to find inline 37 mbar regulator.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree it could be high butane content in the gas, it is only the Truma bulkhead regulators that had major problems. Your tests won't show much as 37mb you would hardly be able to feel.
Another point a lot of continental vans before 2002 were fitted with 50mb systems, have you got the correct regulator? There should be labels on the appliances stating pressure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rattys

Rattys

Free Member
Sep 26, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks. As it happens, it is much worse in the morning, it was almost back to normal last night. I didn't realise the butane content varied by country - we've had no problems in France at -5, and as it's above freezing here I'd discounted that as the fault.

Useful information about the fittings too - much obliged.

OP
OP
Rattys

Rattys

Free Member
Sep 26, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I think the system was originally configured for butane, around 30mBar I think, but it was running propane when I bought it and it's run OK on that in the UK, France and up until now.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We had a similar problem last year in the summer with the gas flow, could only run one thing at a time.
Changed the regulator sorted.

Chris

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks. As it happens, it is much worse in the morning, it was almost back to normal last night. I didn't realise the butane content varied by country - we've had no problems in France at -5, and as it's above freezing here I'd discounted that as the fault.

Useful information about the fittings too - much obliged.
Butane content varies on time of year & country. UK, Portugal & Germany (probably Austria as well) are 95 - 100% propane, France, Spain and other countries vary the content up to 65% Butane. Propane is lighter than Butane so the butane settles to the bottom of the cylinder and the propane gasses off first then you are left with a cylinder of Butane. We filled up in Granada last year but it was April and night temp not much above freezing must have been 100% propane not had any problems.

OP
OP
Rattys

Rattys

Free Member
Sep 26, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It's running alright again this evening, so I can only surmise that it is the butane in the mix causing us problems.

I'll burn my way through what we've got left and make sure I fill up before we leave Portugal.

Thanks for the help.

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
Suddenly there's only enough gas available to do one thing at a time (i.e. One hob ring OR the fridge OR the hot water).
Hi Rattys, wondering if new gas fixed your probelm? I currently have a similar problem after refilling gaslow bottle in Spain (worked ok for 7 days then low flame on burner). If I swap to a another seperate bottle all works fine so doesn't seem to be a regulator problem. BTW, i don't have a filter installed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back