Lovin our first French trip! (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Might move on Saturday - a friend has reccomended a site but not been there for several years - la baie d'aunnis at tranche sur mer - only about 30k south of where we are. Right on the beach and town - which is lacking where we are even though the site is top notch. Gotta get some use of my new boards without a 3k cycle with them strapped to my back:Doh:

Just wondered if anyone has been there???

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Arrived at la tranche sur mer yesterday and pitched up on a site called la baie d'aunis. Lovely 4* site right on town and beach with free wifi on the pitch as well as fully serviced - but €27 per night:Eeek:

The weather is still hot and sunny (was 34 in the van yesterday:Cool:)

Market this morning then beach :thumb:

Prob stay till Monday then find somewhere in the acsi book again (much cheaper!!!) for the rest of the week before heading slowly north again using aires towards Calais for next Wednesday.

Views of il de re on the horizon - but not heading there as it's a tad quiet by all accounts! Will stay in this bit of the vendee and may head down to le chateillon plage Monday - 75k south for our last stop ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Stayed there last year, weather rubbish but lovely spot. Met a nice elderly Dutch couple who had been going there for 40 years. Since retirement they stay from April to October so you can't miss them, skin like leather! Easy walk to the Super U.:Smile:

Apr 27, 2013
essex
Funster No
MH
auto trail
Exp
15 years
Sounds wonderful we are also in france for 3 weeks found a nice little

campsite in the Ardenne with free fishing on 4 lakes and free wifi

hubby is in heaven and omg footie :cry:hope you have a great time

hugs and waves from france

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Views of il de re on the horizon - but not heading there as it's a tad quiet by all accounts! Will stay in this bit of the vendee and may head down to le chateillon plage Monday - 75k south for our last stop ::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

You would be missing out not to go onto the Il de Re in my opinion.We were there just five weeks ago and it was one of the nicest place on our trip.Great cycling, huge skies, shabby chic shops, wonderful light, bobbing boats, a bit of history and airy but warm weather.....absolutely fabulous!:thumb:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Ile de re

Hmmm - might do!
Heard conflicting reports - a few Brits here have said very quiet and expensive though beautiful. We prefer a more lively place - but as I'm on the doorstep might have to pop over for a couple of days - maybe later this week before heading home. Site 1399 in acsi book seems ok and near the town of la flotte.

Down to le chatellion plage today (1385 acsi) so will see after a few days there.

Need to leave Friday or Saturday to head to Calais and would like a night or two at the highly regarded Neufchâtel en bray site before the ferry next Wednesday
:thumb:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hmmm - might do!
Heard conflicting reports - a few Brits here have said very quiet and expensive though beautiful. We prefer a more lively place - but as I'm on the doorstep might have to pop over for a couple of days - maybe later this week before heading home. Site 1399 in acsi book seems ok and near the town of la flotte.

We stayed 4 nights at that site (Le Graintiere ) and liked it.Well positioned and an easy cycle into La Flotte or St Martin.Both very pretty.Yes if want to eat out and sit in bars it is expensive but we don't much being happier to picnic on nice foods and drink good wine! Do go up the church tower in St Martin for a great view of the island! We also spent some time at Loix which was very quiet but still liked it there.:thumb:

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
Can recommend Les Druids at Carnac, in ACSI book. Carnac does a good line in Neolithic stones. Good walking/cycling and Super U in walking distance.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
France

Aire at Orleans, not good to look at but 5euros including electric and water etc. right on the river is not a bad deal for overnight and only 10 mins from motorway

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
If you're going to Neufchatel en Bray, the campsite has a beautiful new aire. Came today intending to use the site (ACSI of course) to find an aire next door. 12euros for 24 hours but about 18 pitches, each hedged, hardstanding, grass to sit out on and 10amp electrics. We are the only van here, dog is loving it!

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
If you're going to Neufchatel en Bray, the campsite has a beautiful new aire. Came today intending to use the site (ACSI of course) to find an aire next door. 12euros for 24 hours but about 18 pitches, each hedged, hardstanding, grass to sit out on and 10amp electrics. We are the only van here, dog is loving it!

Hi does this new aire take RV's, it is on our route at end of June
thanks

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
A length limit of 8m. Anything longer goes next door to the camp site according to the notice board.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we cant get away yet but you lot are making us green with envy.we will make it sometime this year.have fun dave.:thumb:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Aha - got more wifi!

Well - we did chatellailon plage - nice site but not much else! Pretty beach - massive oyster beds - and the promise of a 'seaside town' but to be honest was a bit of a let down. I think even if everything was open it would still be dead!
Also - the wind got up and made it a tad chilly so was time to move on!

Left there this morning at 10, and after the obligatory stock up
at lidl drove all of 40 minutes to the la gratiniere site at la flotte on the ile de re.

Till booth man only charged me €8 on the bridge! I'm sure the signs said 18 but didn't argue - maybe the funster sticker got me a discount:ROFLMAO:

Great site here - and although haven't ventured out yet can honestly say it has a lovely feel about it! Both the site and the island.

Suns out, winds dropped, beers cold and alls well with the world :Cool:

Will stay here now till Saturday then head to Neufchâtel en bray via Le Mans aiming to get there Monday or Tuesday. :thumb:

And - haven't spotted another funster anywhere - and checking windscreen stickers on site is the first thing I do!!!

Still lovin it::bigsmile:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Did I happen to mention the most important thing about this site ???

Cheapest beer at a bar I've seen in France - pint of Stella €4.30 :beer::thumb:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
::bigsmile:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 27

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
€4.30 a pint!!!!!

And you are happy!

You need to get your beer drinking around here BD.:beer:

(6 litres of Sagres = €7.24)

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
€4.30 a pint!!!!!

And you are happy!

You need to get your beer drinking around here BD.:beer:

JJ :Cool:

I will JJ I will - 2016 I will be away full time!
But for France - trust me that's cheap:whatthe:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
La Flotte

Lovely day out today - cycles down to la flotte - local town.
A bit like st Ives in Cornwall - only smaller, less seagulls and pasties, and hot!!!

Very busy mid morning - great market - and found a shoe shop making leather moccaison type boaty shoes - handmade by an old boy on site! Had to buy a pair - and a few photos of the cobbler with Jak made his day!
And only €45:thumb:
I will be modelling them at the next meet so don't tread on my feet:ROFLMAO:

Seafood lunch and a couple of beers and back the site for a swim and a few more beers - whilst watching the staff cook a massive paella in a 4' pan for tonight! I know it's not spain - but it looks good:Cool:

Very glad we came to ile de re - top place::bigsmile:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The girls are cooking MY paella - and we even just got 2 free beers::bigsmile:
Keeping the funster Francais spirit alive:thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
OMG!!!

Wow!
Well - left ile de re this morning and stopped at an aire at La Flèche - about 35k south of Le Mans.
Nice riverside aire with a view if a chateaux and a weir - an offshoot of the Loire - and free!!!

So - went for a wander around the town expecting not a lot - and WOW!!!

I think we were very lucky - there's only a bloody great music festival going on - all the roads are closed after 6 an there are stages set up in the streets and squares with live bands on all night ! ::bigsmile:

Currently in a riverside bar paying €3 a pint and waiting for the rock to kick in!!!!

Man - I'm gonna be in heaven tonight!
And the bar owner has given me access to his personal wifi! Touch:thumb:

There's a distinct possibility we won't be moving on tomorrow as I have a feeling I just might have a serious rock hangover:Eeek:

......just been informed by a local froggie that today is officially the first day of summer and many French towns have beer and music festivals on - how bloody civilised!!!!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
Same here in Millau. Roads closed in town centre and staging and outdoor bars popping up everywhere. And there was me fancying a quite night in!

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
It's the Festival of Music which is celebrated on the summer solstice in many countries around the world. But not England. Wonder why! Have a great night Dave. We were in that aire 2 weeks ago so I know it's not too far to stagger back from the town centre

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back