loves and hates, New Motorhome, touring park (1 Viewer)

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
I have a customer who has a 60 pitch site which is in its 3rd season.

All the usual facilities, toliets, showers, shop, cafe, black and grey waste etc.

Couple of unusual offerings, fresh water tap on each pitch and you can position your van on the pitch however you like. He also has three smart cars available to hire (insured by site owner) £30.00 per day return with full tank of fuel for motorhomers only. You can book the car when you book the pitch. The smart car has the site name on the doors so returning advertising and taxation benefits.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Wide enough acess to to pitch without going on grass,good luck with project going there in may

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Oh ! Just another suggestion to add to the myriad of others ... No bouncing of footballs up and down the road. That thwack,thwack,thwack. Drives me loopy....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Agree with most of the other Funster's, hard standing, black water disposal, fresh water, decent EHU but I think that given this age of technology that wifi is a must (particularly on a new development) and one thing we really enjoy is the opportunity to sitting outside around a fire pit which is available on a number of sites we visit. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Often by people who book multiple sites as soon as possible & cancel at the last minute.
I know a few caravaners who book up loads of pitches as soon as they can at the start of the year, but only ever use a fraction of them.

Has always been my grouse. .. All that needs to happen is for them to take a leaf out of the C&CC book and take a deposit...Roy

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Couple of unusual offerings, fresh water tap on each pitch and you can position your van on the pitch however you like.
That is usual in the rest of Europe
He also has three smart cars available to hire (insured by site owner) £30.00 per day return with full tank of fuel for motorhomers only. You can book the car when you book the pitch. The smart car has the site name on the doors so returning advertising and taxation benefits.
What a great idea. I for one would certainly be interested in it, but I wonder what returns it would give outside of high season.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hard standing, electric-metered 16amp, no straight lines, varying pitch sizes, no small vans on pitches meant for large RVs if practical. Lowish level CDP, hand washing facilities at CDP point. Ideally i would say no dogs, but possibly an area where dogs are not allowed, love dogs, but sometimes travel with someone who is afraid of dogs. I don't like the idea of paying extra for showers, pricing system will take account of the number of occupants, paying £1.00 a time to shower 3 youngsters who are now too old to go in with Gran and papa, makes a big dent in the spending money. Quiet area for those who would prefer an adult only site. Separate area for ball games. Some sort of shelter, meeting room to encourage rallies. Drying room spin dryer in washing area, have only ever seen this at 2 sites, great when you do a hand wash. Like the idea of a fire pit too and motorhomes or caravans and tents able to be sited together. Almost came a croper when half the family were using a tent and we had all the cooking/toilet facilites.
Reading the above i realise when looking for a site my priorities are hard standing, drinking water and waste disposal and electric. Good if near public transport, even better if near public house. Totally different ball game when taking the grandchildren though.

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
One thing that has been overlooked, a good discount for Funsters. LOL. Seriously, wishing you well in your new venture. We love Scotland,especially the CC site at Bunree. Looking forward to visiting your site, when it's available. BillyS(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have been to a site that had a key code on the shower block that you could either pay for or not. This would give the 'we don't need anything' group what they require and we want everything's too. Outside covered washing up facilities for campers is a help. Barriers to stop movement 22.00 till 07.00 with a small parking area for late comers otherwise I think it's pretty muched covered elsewhere.
Good luck with your venture and may see you 2017! (y)

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Nice pub with good food within wheelchair distance.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Relatively flat, firm well drained ground. Facility to fill up with water, empty grey water easily and toilet cassette empty point. NOT adult only, families have Motorhomes and our grandchildren love travelling with us. Don't need electric or showers etc as we are self contained. Please please do not make it look like a CC site, we are Motorhomers not caravanners. More like a Stellplatz in Germany would be my choice. Is it going to be in the Oban area, that would be good?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Well drained (we are talking Highlands here), easy access, electric. Take a look at Loch Ness Shores as a new, successful, site in the Highlands, hard to beat and very popular.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I'd love to agree with the no dogs, picked up so much dog mess from site from all those responsible owners ( sorry to offend just saying it as I see it) but you'd lose a big percentage of your customers, same as saying no kids.

Shawn.

Don't think so.
Not everyone thinks its ok to be up to the ankles in dog crap.
There is a demand, same with adults only, which I don't want.
I pass several adults only sites, which are always full.

This isn't :reel: by the way, and I'm not anti dog, just anti dog shit and inconsiderate owners (which is most of them).
Last year at the Misterton fund raiser (not Runrig's meet) the central area between the vans was covered in the stuff to the extent that folk were unable to walk / ride bikes, etc.

I'm sure there is a demand.

Just answering the original question regarding what do we want in a site.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
hard standing level pitches that's the essentials.
readily available fresh water and easy dump for grey are like t haves.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
metered electric, take-away deliveries, pub, hardstanding, ability to get a sat-lock, drive-over grey waste dump for all MH types, communal area, inclusive activities, easy access, dog and adult specific areas, loyalty card, pitch reservation, security and a warm welcome......

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Assuming that the site is pre-determined:

Level hard-standing pitches that don't puddle.
EHU, fresh water and drain at each pitch would be great.
Drive-over dumps.
Small 'enclaves' to avoid regimented lining-up - see for eg Kinlochewe.
Indoor social area with either cafe or vending machines.
Outdoor social area with benches/logs and BBQ/firepit.
On-site shop & cafe.
Reserved areas for dogs, children, adults.
Laundry & drying room.
Warm & spacious shower/toilet blocks - see for eg Glenmore.

Tents as well? - basic kitchen/eating cabin or shed. Own drying area - lockable 'cages'. Bike lock-up.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Being able to have a pitch with out being forced to have EHU as in the CCC sites do. They say your paying for the hard standing not the electric so you might as well use the electric as your paying for it anyway. With vans being more self sufficient this is a waste.
Would agree that both EHU and non-EHU pitches should be provided.

Easy access to water points with taps suitable to take a hose I.e. Screw thread connection for hose not smooth tap outlet requiring push on hose. Proper tap, not push to operate.

Easy access to grey and black water disposal.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.(y)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Don't think so.
Not everyone thinks its ok to be up to the ankles in dog crap.
There is a demand, same with adults only, which I don't want.
I pass several adults only sites, which are always full.

This isn't :reel: by the way, and I'm not anti dog, just anti dog shit and inconsiderate owners (which is most of them).
Last year at the Misterton fund raiser (not Runrig's meet) the central area between the vans was covered in the stuff to the extent that folk were unable to walk / ride bikes, etc.

I'm sure there is a demand.

Just answering the original question regarding what do we want in a site.

If there was so much dog mess to pick up there were clearly a lot of dogs and therefore a lot of dog owners to alienate from this potential new site!

You and I will never agree.

As a dog owner, I don't like treading in the stuff or dodging it constantly, ultimately it is the owners fault, not the dogs. Kick out irresponsible customers, whatever rule they are violating. There are already enough places dogs can't go because 'man' says so!

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Ian

We took a orchard to an awArd winning, which we opened in 205

www.cornishfarm.com

Happy to answer any questions if I can

Regards

Eddie

I have stayed at Eddie's site it is great, take advantage of Eddie's vast experience, if he opened in 205 (I assume it was AD cause he's not that old) he has one thousand eight hundred and eleven years of knowledge:giggler::Grin:

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Are we talking a full blown campsite or a Motorhome stellplatz / aire?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A site I really enjoyed and would go back to was an ex-caravan club site now run by the National Trust in Wales.

Hard standing, EHU if you wanted it and at extra cost, no facilities block but black / grey dump, waste recycling and water at a central location. The downside was no public transport and the road wasn't safe for cycles.

There were motorhomes and large caravans on the site. The caravan people I spoke to said the lack of a facilities block didn't worry them as they had shower etc in the van and the waste disposal was easy to use.

The site was spotless :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A site I really enjoyed and would go back to was an ex-caravan club site now run by the National Trust in Wales.

Hard standing, EHU if you wanted it and at extra cost, no facilities block but black / grey dump, waste recycling and water at a central location. The downside was no public transport and the road wasn't safe for cycles.

There were motorhomes and large caravans on the site. The caravan people I spoke to said the lack of a facilities block didn't worry them as they had shower etc in the van and the waste disposal was easy to use.

The site was spotless :)
Where is that please?

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have stayed at Eddie's site it is great, take advantage of Eddie's vast experience, if he opened in 205 (I assume it was AD cause he's not that old) he has one thousand eight hundred and eleven years of knowledge:giggler::Grin:
yes eddies site very nice but only live down road

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have an opportunity with a brand new development here in the highlands. A 60 unit park, what do you want to see, what don't you want to see. What's important, flat pitches, toilets, showers, bins fire points , adults only, play areas, metered boxes, etc

Warts and all...... Hope to up and running for Easter 2017. Your thoughts

Your heading says "Motorhome" touring park. So is it a caravan site like many on here seem to want with all posh facilities, or are you after catering for the true motorhomers amongst us?
We spend a lot of money on buying a "Motorhome" that is self sufficient, even add other bits that make it more so, therefore why do we need all these bells and whistles that have been suggested?
With somewhere to dump, get water and be allowed to park in a nice spot, is all many of us need.
So which is it to be, a camp site or a motorhome facility you are looking to create?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hard standing
Good Wi-fi
HEATED shower block
No fixed head showers (or at least a mix of fixed and non-fixed)
Indoor pot washing area
Dogs allowed - with a good dog walking area
A indoor heated meeting room

Good luck with your venture.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Your heading says "Motorhome" touring park. So is it a caravan site like many on here seem to want with all posh facilities, or are you after catering for the true motorhomers amongst us?
We spend a lot of money on buying a "Motorhome" that is self sufficient, even add other bits that make it more so, therefore why do we need all these bells and whistles that have been suggested?
With somewhere to dump, get water and be allowed to park in a nice spot, is all many of us need.
So which is it to be, a camp site or a motorhome facility you are looking to create?
With due respect no business could succeed with no diversity..motorhome owners (yes I am one) like myself like to have a degree of security especially if disabled.so although I like your idea of a Scottish aire,I don't think it would suit me..but everyone to his own . Roy.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What I would want for myself is Just Water and Waste services, a pleasant view not regimented not too overlooked and peace & quiet.

No need for Showers or EHU or wi-fi or TV point or public services close by or shops.

What I would want if I was building a site would be all of what I want and what I don't want as everyone's needs are different.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back