Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
south east london
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
Hi! First timer on any thread so excuse nervousness and mistakes! My husband and myself are 56 and its always been a dream of mine to have a motorhome. We havent got one yet but are looking and there is an awful lot to trawl through! Tony thinks we should start small to see how we get on but i dont know as we arent exactly small(6'2" and 5'8" and not skinny::bigsmile:)Also theres the problem of parking, it would have to be outside the house on the road, which isnt wide! Lastly i am not very mobile due to arthritis so any imput from old hands at this would be gratefully received!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and a warm welcome.:thumb: there loads of info and "experts" available with a wealth of knowledge. trawl some of the posts as there are a few threads with similar questions. the first of which depends on how deep your pockets are; depends on where you start.:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun, don't worry about posting you have made a start and thats what counts, to get a idea of what may suit you try visiting a few dealers or better still a Motorhome Show, with out a sales man with you, sit in them imagine spending some time in the space, is there room for a barbecue maybe a couple of chairs, so you want to carry a couple of bikes on the back

. Work out what you think you will need and take if from there. Keep asking questions thats what we are here for. :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Lost of people don't keep their motorhome at home, they use a caravan or motorhome storage centre. There are lots of these all over the country, choose one that is insured and members of Link Removed and you should be fine:thumb: Meanwhile, welcome to the fun:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, posting is just a matter of chatting with your fingers. you are a woman, nuff said, hee hee
Now as to a van the first thing you need to sort out is where to keep it. outside the house on a narrow road is asking for problems, or do you mean a driveway?
Even if you are allowed to park there is the matter of possibly causing an obstruction due to the width of the van, and secondly the danger of vandalism from the nimby's kids. So from that point of view a panel van conversion would be easier to park, however making up a bed out of the seats especially when its raining outside is not recommended. Arthritis etc can really make things difficult. Size wise most coachbuilt vans will accommodate you both. bed size is generally quite generous even for 6 footers. So the next thing is what your budget is and any other limitations/expectations/wants/needs/ Size (over 3.5T) brings license problems and limitations depending on your ages and when you got your license, will you need to tow? Is an oven essential as a lot of vans just don't have them. Have a think and give us something to go on.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi & welcome. We are about the same age and were in the same situation about 2 years ago. Rather than spend a lot of money when we were not 100% if it was for us we decided to buy a 1993 Hymer at a reasonable price and used it for 12 months to see if we enjoyed it - which we did ....lots:thumb::thumb:. 2 years later we have now sold the Hymer and invested a lot of money in our new motor hiome knowing it is what we enjoy and are going to get a lot of use and enjoyment from.
The Hymer suited us well and we actually had a real job finding a newer van that matched up to it but we did and have now sold the Hymer to a couple who we know are going to love it as much as we do. I think the older Hymers hold their price very well if they are good and well looked after so you shouldn't lose too much money.
It was good because, as a learning curve,we found out what we needed from a motorhome and then looked for a new van that had everything we wanted. We managed to find one that had about 95% of our needs so consider ourselves very lucky.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi howeller2 and welcome to the fun.

I see you are based in SE London so one point you will want to take into consideration is the LEZ with which many older motorhomes will not comply:Angry:

Good luck with your search:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi :welcome: to fun. :thumb:

The first thing is to check you can park outside your house.
And another thing that caught my eye was your in London.

howeller2
New Funster

Funster No : 19552
MH Type: dont own one yet
Years Motorhoming: im a newbie

So you would have to buy a motorhome that's not effected by the LEZ. :cry:

Do your home work before you spend your hard earned cash. :thumb: Bob.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The one thing about having a small or below budget van first is that you can always move up to bigger and better without losing a fortune.. I think you will find that most motorhome owners never get the right van first time.. Once you have one you start to understand what you will use it for and the facilities you want.

Good hunting...

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Hello, welcome, please have a good look around before you decide to make sure you have the best one for you.

We have wasted silly money by jumping in straight away and I wouldn't want anyone to jump into the same boat.

Good luck

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
:welcome: howeller2

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy

I've got just the thing for you..........easy to park...sleeps eight.....

FiatPandora.jpg

OP
OP
H

howeller2

Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
south east london
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
Picking it up slowly!

Didnt even think about the LEZ! What do we do? Lots of good advice, thanks all! Thought there would be a reply button after each message!::bigsmile: Hope I get the hang of it.How much do these campervan parks cost? Yes it would be kept out on the road. I like the look of the old Hymers but can you drive them on ordinary licence? Also do they get much rust? How does a cassette toilet work?:Smile:
THANKS ALL
Lesley

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
First choice

Hi welcome to fun, my advice is get a coach built but dont go over 18 to 20 ft,gives you room to manoevre on most supermarket car parks, the advice will be endless, there is a lot to learn.Good luck Regards Ronboyracer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back