Lost satellite at.Port-la-Nouvelle, France (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We've had satellite signal up until now. We've just lost it for anyone that wants to know.
We have a 64cm Dish
We had it last night when we were at Félines-Termenès.
I know some say they don't watch TV but we like the soaps and documentaries so there.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Too be quite honest I'm surprised that you got it all being so far south. It is my understanding that with the new satellite footprint you would be lucky to get it south of Paris. But I'm sure someone will be around shortly to explain.

Doneromin

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Swift-Kontiki
Exp
8 yrs
We have just returned from Perpignan, I have a 66mm Maxview manual dish, While travelling from Perpignan along the coast to Monte Carlo I managed to log into Astra 28.2 but could only get the Sky news channel, heading North, we stopped at Grenoble, where I managed to get all the other usual channels, including BBC & ITV. My biggest problem was finding the Astra 28.2 satellite, I found that by setting the channel to tune into the Sky News channel, after I had found that, I could fine tune to get BBC etc, if there were are any clouds, that would effected the reception, (digitalize)
Since returning, because of the problems I had in locating Astra 28.2 (usaully in the dark) I have changed my "satellite finder" for a new model, "Teleco DSF80" this unit allows you to only locate the satelite you enter.
Hope my experience helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Terry finds the best channel to find it was on the bbc news channel then fine tuned it.
He found bbc earlier and Itv tonight but it was pixelating too badly to watch. It annoys us when it pixelates. Had to admit defeat and turned corrie off!!!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Regarding the south of Paris reference above, has the satellite footprint changed since mid June 2015? We got all the regular free to air satellite channels via Avtex TV with inbuilt satellite tuner and Snipe satellite panel at Parc Verger back then...

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We were at Dignes-les-Bain in August and BBC and ITV 1,2,3,4 were receivable plus Channel 4 & 5 on my Avtex 21 drs using an 85cm with autoskew

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
I'm at the very beginning of my search for a Dish, and have spent hours looking at the wealth of information available here.

My perception ( and this could be way, way off ), is that unless l am prepared to stick Jodrell Bank on my roof l can more or less forget about getting a decent, regular signal for English speaking channels once l am South of Bordeaux.

This leads me to the next bit - if the above is more or less accurate, is there really any point in say spending £1,300 - 1,400.00 on a dish when l can get the Snipe variety at a fair bit less. From what l can read on here, the Snipe is (signal wise ) very reliable down to Bordeaux, just like all the rest, and if reception thereafter is all a bit iffy on most other dishes, would l be wasting money on forking out an additional few hundred pounds.

Considered and experienced views would be most welcome.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Nothing has really changed with the satellites recently.

However, the current UK satellites have two beams for uK TV.
A European beam that is available over most of Western Europe nice and easily.
And a UK beam whose reception varies a lot the further south you go.

So if you have "lost" channels, it my help to know which channels you have lost.
Sky News (and a lot of the Sky pay package channels) are on the European beam and should be available.
BBC ITV C4 and Five's are on the UK beam, so harder to receive.

So if you are in a UK beam weakspot, then yes you will lose channels...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Getting FTA UK channels in the Aude on a 64cm dish seems pretty good. I reckon to lose them on a 40cm Camos dome around the level of Bordeaux. Sometimes the atmospheric conditions are favourable beyond that but not often.
To the earlier poster - you will get a UK FTA signal south of Paris as indicated in my sentence above. When the new satellites and beams were being brought into operation about 18 months ago, there was speculation that the signal might fade below Paris. This was based on the indicative maps supplied by SES (the Astra operator) although in practice, signal strength has proved better than that.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We were in Cabo de Gata last January/Feb and had 60cm sat dome ( Autosat) and got good signal no BBC or ITV but most of Sky channels lost signals north of Castro Verde,Portugal got them back again Caceres and all way home.

Last edited:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
If you really want BBC, ITV etc. you can find them on Intelsat 907 at 27.5W.

With the right sat box, you can decode and receive the channels in HD right across Spain and no doubt, Portugal and France too.

:cooler:

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Mariner.
Which decoder do you for the Intelsat 907. We have a 85cm maxview crank up dish on the van so this should be ok. would I have to alter the skew angle. Thanks for any help

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
One or two receiver by Icecrypt, GI, Technomate work with I907.
Not all receivers will work, due tot he high frequency settings for this I907 service.
Most bought new will need to have their firmware patched, to allow you to hack (so read illegally) into the i907 encrypted feeds.

I907 is at 27 west, so you will have to adjust the LNB skew accordingly, which is very different to the skew required for UK TV at 28 east.
It can also be tricky to locate, but a starting point it 30 west...

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
This is the one I use,

Broken Link Removed

You need to input the Transponder 11495 V and the Symbol Rate 44100, which is not difficult.
I did not need to enter the BISS codes, as a search on BBC, brought up the decoded channels.
See,
http://www.lyngsat.com/Intelsat-907.html

:cooler:

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks to satandpcguy and mariner. I shall get the sat box after xmas and give it a go. See if I can pick it up and set it up with the van at home

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Of course this is assuming the service continues...or continues to use the easy to hack BISS coding, or it does not move to a uk specific beam when they replace the satellite I the next year or two (sine it is coming toward the end of its mission life).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back