Lost satellite at.Port-la-Nouvelle, France

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Welsh girl, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We've had satellite signal up until now. We've just lost it for anyone that wants to know.
    We have a 64cm Dish
    We had it last night when we were at Félines-Termenès.
    I know some say they don't watch TV but we like the soaps and documentaries so there.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Too be quite honest I'm surprised that you got it all being so far south. It is my understanding that with the new satellite footprint you would be lucky to get it south of Paris. But I'm sure someone will be around shortly to explain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doneromin

Doneromin Read Only Funster

We have just returned from Perpignan, I have a 66mm Maxview manual dish, While travelling from Perpignan along the coast to Monte Carlo I managed to log into Astra 28.2 but could only get the Sky news channel, heading North, we stopped at Grenoble, where I managed to get all the other usual channels, including BBC & ITV. My biggest problem was finding the Astra 28.2 satellite, I found that by setting the channel to tune into the Sky News channel, after I had found that, I could fine tune to get BBC etc, if there were are any clouds, that would effected the reception, (digitalize)
    Since returning, because of the problems I had in locating Astra 28.2 (usaully in the dark) I have changed my "satellite finder" for a new model, "Teleco DSF80" this unit allows you to only locate the satelite you enter.
    Hope my experience helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Terry finds the best channel to find it was on the bbc news channel then fine tuned it.
    He found bbc earlier and Itv tonight but it was pixelating too badly to watch. It annoys us when it pixelates. Had to admit defeat and turned corrie off!!!

5. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Regarding the south of Paris reference above, has the satellite footprint changed since mid June 2015? We got all the regular free to air satellite channels via Avtex TV with inbuilt satellite tuner and Snipe satellite panel at Parc Verger back then...

6. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

We were at Dignes-les-Bain in August and BBC and ITV 1,2,3,4 were receivable plus Channel 4 & 5 on my Avtex 21 drs using an 85cm with autoskew

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That is indeed a long way south. :)

8. parigby

parigby Read Only Funster

I'm at the very beginning of my search for a Dish, and have spent hours looking at the wealth of information available here.

My perception ( and this could be way, way off ), is that unless l am prepared to stick Jodrell Bank on my roof l can more or less forget about getting a decent, regular signal for English speaking channels once l am South of Bordeaux.

This leads me to the next bit - if the above is more or less accurate, is there really any point in say spending £1,300 - 1,400.00 on a dish when l can get the Snipe variety at a fair bit less. From what l can read on here, the Snipe is (signal wise ) very reliable down to Bordeaux, just like all the rest, and if reception thereafter is all a bit iffy on most other dishes, would l be wasting money on forking out an additional few hundred pounds.

Considered and experienced views would be most welcome.

9. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

Nothing has really changed with the satellites recently.

However, the current UK satellites have two beams for uK TV.
    A European beam that is available over most of Western Europe nice and easily.
    And a UK beam whose reception varies a lot the further south you go.

So if you have "lost" channels, it my help to know which channels you have lost.
    Sky News (and a lot of the Sky pay package channels) are on the European beam and should be available.
    BBC ITV C4 and Five's are on the UK beam, so harder to receive.

So if you are in a UK beam weakspot, then yes you will lose channels...

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Getting FTA UK channels in the Aude on a 64cm dish seems pretty good. I reckon to lose them on a 40cm Camos dome around the level of Bordeaux. Sometimes the atmospheric conditions are favourable beyond that but not often.
    To the earlier poster - you will get a UK FTA signal south of Paris as indicated in my sentence above. When the new satellites and beams were being brought into operation about 18 months ago, there was speculation that the signal might fade below Paris. This was based on the indicative maps supplied by SES (the Astra operator) although in practice, signal strength has proved better than that.

11. Speve

Speve Funster

We were in Cabo de Gata last January/Feb and had 60cm sat dome ( Autosat) and got good signal no BBC or ITV but most of Sky channels lost signals north of Castro Verde,Portugal got them back again Caceres and all way home.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

If you really want BBC, ITV etc. you can find them on Intelsat 907 at 27.5W.

With the right sat box, you can decode and receive the channels in HD right across Spain and no doubt, Portugal and France too.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  13. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Hi Mariner.
    Which decoder do you for the Intelsat 907. We have a 85cm maxview crank up dish on the van so this should be ok. would I have to alter the skew angle. Thanks for any help

14. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

One or two receiver by Icecrypt, GI, Technomate work with I907.
    Not all receivers will work, due tot he high frequency settings for this I907 service.
    Most bought new will need to have their firmware patched, to allow you to hack (so read illegally) into the i907 encrypted feeds.

I907 is at 27 west, so you will have to adjust the LNB skew accordingly, which is very different to the skew required for UK TV at 28 east.
    It can also be tricky to locate, but a starting point it 30 west...

• Like Like x 1
  15. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Thanks to satandpcguy and mariner. I shall get the sat box after xmas and give it a go. See if I can pick it up and set it up with the van at home

17. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

Of course this is assuming the service continues...or continues to use the easy to hack BISS coding, or it does not move to a uk specific beam when they replace the satellite I the next year or two (sine it is coming toward the end of its mission life).