Lost jobs but still got our van scotland wild camping advice please.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pigginchilli, May 31, 2016.

1. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

Hello, While we still have our van we would love to travel scotland and wild for 3 nights then hook up for one then wild again etc , Been one crap year so we just need to enjoy each others company in our van while we can. nade x.

• Like Like x 7
  2. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Head west to start with and wild camp on the coast away from tourism

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello really sorry to hear this news, horrible when these things happen, love your positive attitude, Scotland is perfect for that so many places to wild camp . Skye is worth a visit all car parks free beautiful scenery and the cost of the Ferry's exceptional value now.. Enjoy and relax Scotland is made for that. (y)

4. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Although I wildcamp most of the time I can't give specific advice about places as other than knowing where I am at a given time I don't keep sat nag locations etc. What I would say though is just get out there and enjoy it all, beware of midges though as you may find there are more than just the two of you enjoying each others company.
    Maybe you could try asking irnbru for specific locations as she is Scottish.
    Enjoy the trip.
    Norman.

5. pigginchilli

Thanks for the replies, life is too short to be negative! When i was full time farming i was lucky to get a week off, The simple things in life like the love of my wife nade and our humble savings will hopefully see us well and see what the future brings?

• Like Like x 14
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

Try loch morlich, close to aviemore. We went into the campsite but noticed quite a few vans just using car parks at side of loch. Otherwise just go along the coast and stop where your fancy takes you. Most of all, enjoy.

7. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

There are many places across Scotland, I'd heartily recommend turning sharp left when you get to the top of the M6, just turn onto the A75 & make for the Galloway Forest Park. Its an undiscovered
    Corner of Scotland. Sounds like you've had an awful time & Scotland is wonderful for recharging your batteries. A gentle run along The Raiders Road is not to be missed. Glen Trool is superb for wild camping & you wouldn't regret it. Lots of pubs will happily allow you to stay over in their car park if you buy a meal or have a drink.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful time.

8. The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple Funster

Hi @pigginchilli - sorry to hear your news
    We will be heading off round Scotland too in 10 days time - loosely following the NC500. We have two campsite stops planned. One at Sango Sands, Durness and the other at Findhorn Bay Caravan Park. The rest of the time we plan to wildcamp and are just going to play each day as it comes.
    Also I believe that the Scottish schools don't break up until June 24th so technically you will still be in the "quiet season". I'm sure someone will correct me if that is wrong
    If you plan to head out to Applecross, some funsters have suggested it is better to approach from the north so you might want to go anti-clockwise? I don't think it matters really but there are other NC500 threads with the details on here.
    Also the midges on the west coast are apparently something else! So you might want to stock up on Avon's Skin So Soft, Smidge and all things Citronella before you head off!!
    Lastly, we've armed ourselves with OS Maps from the library - useful for spotting potential wilding sites
    Happy travels

9. pigginchilli

Hi i wish we were that organised! signing on tomorrow in consett, no matter what happens our van will be the last thing to go, steve and nade.

10. patnlee

patnlee Funster

I moved down from a croft in Kinlochbervie (just south of Durness) last year and there were always vans dotted all over the place in summer. I think most of the "no overnight parking" signs that were in layby's have been removed so a lot of wild pitches available. Near KLB is Oldshoremore beach which is probably the best in the area and the carpark has a public toilet. Turning off the main road at Rhiconich and heading towards KLB there are several grass areas and a particularly nice layby at Achriesgill. Just south of Durness there are a couple of excellent stops overlooking the kyle but watch out for hollows when you leave the road. Scenery just gets better as you head down the West coast. Probably help with a few other areas if needed.

Midges are just arriving (mum still lives there so she keeps me informed...), I used smidge when working outside one summer and never had a problem. Watch out for ticks as they can be really bad news, tick remover essential !.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple Funster

Aw bless you both x
    Best advice is just to head up there and enjoy the beautiful scenery and the warm hospitality.
    You never know ....... every cloud .......?
    Give us a shout if you're still up there in a fortnight!
    Sharon x

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

Please try and keep your chin, s up.
    I have a business that has slowed to a crawl this last year,
    and it might sound daft but I wish it would all end.

Frightened, yes I am, but then it would give me the kick up the arse
    I have needed for the past few years.

I would sell my soul rather then our MH

• Like Like x 2
  13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

All the very best from us !!!!!!!

14. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

what ever happans make sure you keep the van (y)

15. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

I used to do a 24-hour-on-call, 7-day-week, 52-weeks-per-year job (animals of course!) and then when I moved into 'normal' jobs I just couldn't get the hang of days off - it wasn't till I actually STOPPED working that I began to realise that life was for - well - living, enjoying, maybe even doing stuff for ME - so you're right, take this time to enjoy yourselves, your van, and each other. Make fabulous memories. Scotland's a great place for that.
    Another vote for Loch Morlich as well as the west coast. If you can, climb Stac Polaidh - the most fantastic views from the top, and a neat little car park at the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Enjoy your life you only have your youth and health for a short time . Keep the van plenty of campsite jobs going

• Like Like x 1
  17. sinbad

sinbad Funster

You wont have any problems wilding for 3 out of 4 nights. That is what we do when we go to Scotland. If you do turn west after hitting Scotland then I can recommend three immediate places
    Gatehouse of Fleet - Stay in main carpark. Local shopkeeper said we were welcome.
    Newton Stewart - Main carpark, you will share it with Lorries overnighting.
    We stayed at Kirroughtree forest park centre and paid the £4 per day. The disabled heated toilet is open overnight.
    In all of he above, we did spend money locally.

In summary, there is absolutely no problem wild camping as long as you are not near the cities or south Loch Lomond. The more you do of it the less you worry about it until it becomes the natural thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Madeinengland

Madeinengland Funster

Oh dear. Sounds so much like the situation we are also in. After years of dreaming of one day buying a MH, by an unlucky/lucky chance a critical illness insurance payout enabled us to do just that. No sooner had we done that husbands work (oil industry) has stopped dead. Like others on here have said, and us also, the van will be the last thing to go!
    Have a wonderful time on your travels - you only live once. :):):)

19. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Just point and drive forget all your worries take each day at a time it will fall in to place.
    The best holidays are the ones not scheduled or planed
    Bill

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

forgot to say, if you do go along the A75, try Portpatrick. big car park at lighthouse. our first ever overnight when we got the van last year. Probably still bits of the rear lamp cluster on the wee bollard as my wife was saying, "keep going, plenty of room yet!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1