Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Jomel, I have been following this thread since this morning.

What a lovely person you must be and that dog is lucky to have found you.

Please keep us posted. I do hope you can have him.
Lucille

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What have you named him :RollEyes: Sounds like he has gotten his feet under your table already.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
dogs

so glad you were a dog lover seems he must have known when he came to your houseyou will get lots of pleasure out of owning him and they are no bother whenin motorhome in fact a good watch dog for you we have a border terrier and he loves to go on hols in motorhome:Smile:

ralphman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
pevensey bay
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
4 years
hi
as you can see i have a staffie, he had been on the run/dumped in london ,we got him from battersea dogs home , if you went to stroke him he'd crouch on the floor & wet himself he was so scared and timid so we named him ralph as he was so gentle,he was about a yr old, two weeks in when he felt at home he shook off his sheeps clothing :ROFLMAO: but i wouldn't swap him for the world and now he's a confident adorable, loyal dog that is my shadow (literally) we've had him 3yrs now.

i have read that you cant take them to ireland(staffies) not sure if the whole of ireland or not, but worth checking out countries, probably if you google ' what countries are sbt banned ' you should get an answer

have you still got him/her ?::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Morning everyone. No one called to claim him yet.
Gave him a bath last night as he was a bit whiffy. He was good as gold.
This dog has a sense of humour I swear.
Retired to bed and gave him strict orders to stay on his bed. I warned him that my fave program was the dog whisperer so he couldnt pull any tricks with me. I woke at 3.am to loud snoring ...in stereo..Dog snores!! hubby snores! oh the joy!. 'Oi matey' I say, prodding him,...off! ...go! and he plays dead. Use my good foot to push him to edge of bed and he spins round bury's himself in quilt and plays dead again. (dog, not hubby, hubby is comatose after long lorry trips) I get up with a view to sleeping on dogs bed for peace and quiet and he follows me slowly. When I turn to look at him he looks the other way??
Having got him downstairs I repeat harshly 'Stay'.
So at 7.am am woken by the canine version of Tigger bouncing on my head and licking my face. Ok! Ok! I get up take dog for wee in garden, looking like I have been plugged into the mains socket and pray my neighbours arent awake. Dog dashes in jumps on his bed and snores his head off.

I am not sure what to name him damondunc although I did think of a few things during the night::bigsmile:
'Chance' comes to mind? maybe we should have a name the dog comp?
Ralphman Im glad hes ok now poor thing.
I never thought much about owning a dog, or it owning me, Horses have been my thing really. Had hens and quail and have a few rabbits that we are looking after for the grandkids we had a cat that cost us a fortune over the space of a year and ended up on 3 legs after a car accident.
Now he was a character. Used to chase the postie on 2 legs! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Ralphman, what do you feed your Staffies on? he has turned his nose up at Bakers complete. I am a bit weary of giving too much cooked meat.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
We moved to Spain some years ago with our two Dobermans in tow……They enjoyed a few happy years before old age and illness caught up. The “Never Again” soon gave way to 4 “Westies”, rescued from a rouge breeder………

Sky, the skinny German Shepard that arrived at our gate took a few months to trust humans again, but is now as loyal as they come……Lisa, a Siberian Husky didn’t wait outside, she jumped over the wall and has used that as her coming and going route since. Dumping the rubbish one morning revealed 4 puppies in the bottom of the community bin. Weak and mangy they made a slow but good recovery and have since taken to guarding the yard where we keep the Desert Detours vehicles and office.

Buster found me in a Marrakech alley early one morning, while I was looking for a baker. He scrounged breakfast and never left. Scrubbed up and medi-checked he later boarded the support truck heading back for Spain……

Sidi [Sidney] only found his way to our gate a few weeks ago. The others beat him up a few times, but he persisted. He’s a long legged “Russell”, with a patch over one eye, and has now become my shadow. He was clearly he is someone’s pet……but no collar, no chip and extensive enquiries mean he has moved in…..But is the LAST ……

No, we do not live in a smelly dog-house…….Only the Westies live-in and our “Campo” location with far too much land, and attached Sierra mean they can wonder, hunt, roam, poo n pee all they wish……….But don’t mention the cost of dog-food……

It’s a dog’s life…………

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t245/detourer/ADogsLife.jpg

ralphman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
pevensey bay
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
4 years
Ralphman, what do you feed your Staffies on? he has turned his nose up at Bakers complete. I am a bit weary of giving too much cooked meat.

hi jomel, when ralph 1st came home he wouldn't eat dried food so used to mix in tinned food/gravy with it, but decided i hated having it hanging around so basically just gave him complete dried food( bakers) turned his nose up for a couple of days til he got hungry :winky: so many e numbers in bakers (used to make him pace all night & not settle) so now he has wagg complete dried food & happily eats it and its £10 for a big sack 17kg from asda probably get it elsewhere too. when ralph occasionally sleeps on the bed he goes under duvet to the end of bed and spins round & round usually taking quilt with him !! we also have a rescued 3xlegged cat who hates ralph (he's moved out to the conservatory (his own choice) but when we had our boxer they used to sleep together (strange eh) but there you go thats cats for you ::bigsmile:

keep us informed
sam

good luck

ralphman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
pevensey bay
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
4 years
p.s if he turns his nose up -leave food down for say 20mins to start with & if he doesn't eat it put it back in the pack so he sees you & try again a bit later( so he knows he has to eat it)

ralph has one teacup full in the morning and another in the evening. he's also patial to cheese, fruit of all kinds, peppers, cucumber & especially raw carrots :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Great advice, thanks Ralphman. I got some minced cooked chicken and mixed it in but he picked around the dry stuff, dropping it back in the bow. I bought some waggs from the local garden centre. Lets see how we get on.
Took him for a walk with me on crutches and he was a star. Constant 'slowly' repeated when he pulled ensured he stayed at heel. Hubby didnt like the idea and insisted he took over but dog paid little heed to him and pulled badly, so we swopped back. We walked quite some way in a big circle round the village and he listened and paid no mind to other dogs or people. The best bit I have found is he stays stock still at home whilst you take his collar off then he dashes to his bed and back gruffuffling. thats the only way of describing the noise, and tail wagging.
Detourer, bless your heart you must be the pied piper for doggies over there.:Smile: Im going to look at the pics now.

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Chance is a great name :thumb:

If my dogs snore ( i have 4 ) it doesn't bother me at all but if Dunc snores he is sent off to the sofa :Smile:

You could try soaking dry food in boiling water then when it has cooled add a bit of meat and mix well ,it works with mine ( i always buy the supadog sensitive from pets at home )
Can make the poo a bit granular :winky:

Chris

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I got some minced cooked chicken and mixed it in but he picked around the dry stuff, dropping it back in the bowl.

You may have to try a lot of different mixtures, soaking the dry in soup might make him eat it but the manufacturers told me that they don't recomend this because the dry is supposed to help clean their teeth.

We found that Bara would drop the most expensive (and supposedly the best) dry granules back inher bowl, or not even touch them, latter I read that Royal Cannine is a very rich food, we now give Bara Nutrigrain which is cheaper but she likes it.

Likewise we found (By accident really) that a few large spoonfuls of a very cheap tinned food which is 95% vegetable and rice helped with their poo :whatthe:

As I say it's a bit of trial and error 'till you find something that works, the makers all claim that their dry granules are a 'balanced' diet but most dogs need something else as well.

As for a name, well I like 'Chance' 'Lucky' ' Happy' 'Boomerang' (or Boomer) what ever you call him as I said before he will enhance your life and you won't regret him comming to your back door that day :Smile:

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
try mixing some of your left overs in with a bit of bakers ours love it when we do that . dont give him to much tinned meat as he may get the runs and i warn you our two . are champion farters and yes they do snore a lot :thumb:

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Not one to put cold water on this but dont get too attached because you never know in a few days you might get a knock at the door and its the owner wanting him back.....

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What a great thread!

My husband always had staffies when he lived with his parents, lovely dogs and such characters.

We adopted "Indie" a German Shepherd/Boxer cross from the local rescue centre here in Spain, she loves motorhoming and from our point of view having a dog when travelling adds a whole new dimension, good excuse for long walks on the beach or in the country..a reason to get up early and watch the sun rise over the sea etc etc. We dont have a huge van, just over 6m but she has decided her place to sleep is in the foot well of the cab on the passenger side, curled up in a ball!

I am sure if you keep him you will enjoy many happy years of motorhoming with your new family member!

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Hes still here. I know! I know! slickmouse, but 4 days to claim him back or he be mine according to the RSPCA chappie.
Anyway in all honesty, if the real owners turn up and want him back then you couldnt wish for a better end.
I am kind of thinking he has come for a holiday, with a la carte menu, bathing facilities, enclosed garden, comfy bed, lead & collar provided and free worming. Not to mention great fun playing hide and seek and 'wheres the ball?' dog training and 'leave the rabbits alone'

Blimey think Ill open up a dog respite home lol :RollEyes:
Unitedgirl, I was wondering where hed sleep. I took him to the shop in the car but he was a bit agitated and pined. Even with hubby holding him. Maybe he thought he was going to the vets.
I hope in the motorhome, if we keep him, it will be different as it will be our living space.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Jomel

Dogs always seem to attatch more to one person in our case it's my wife I expect that as she is disabled and does not go out so often and I do all the shopping etc they get used to me going out. But if the wife goes out with our daughter then they always give me hell looking for the wife to come back. It even happens in the motorhome if the wife goes anywhere on her own.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Jomel
ref the pining in the car
It could-be that his last car trip ended with him being dumped at the side of the road !!
We've got two rescued staffs, they were worried at first as their last car trip ended at the kennels !!

regards...nige

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Jomel
ref the pining in the car
It could-be that his last car trip ended with him being dumped at the side of the road !!
We've got two rescued staffs, they were worried at first as their last car trip ended at the kennels !!

regards...nige

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Never thought of that Nige, Thanks.
Thanks Jim also for the nutritional site link, makes sense when you read it all through.
What a little character he is. Has his own personality and lets you know if he wants anything.
He met the little grandchildren today-3 and 4 yrs old and they loved him. He missed them when they went. Had to tell them he came to stay for a holiday, to save any grief later.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Should have said ours will eat anything, as long as it's not dog-food :Doh:
So as soon as they find a job they can buy their own steak etc, till then they get what we give them and it stays in the bowl till it's gone. (dry only)
Don't fall for the old 'i don't like that' flannel.
Staffs can be as artfull as a barrel full of monkeys.
A little boy once said to us "we like him, he comes in our house for a sausage" :whatthe:
That was news to us!!!! Soon fixed that hole in the fence, that i didn't know existed!!!

regards...nige

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
But if the wife goes out with our daughter then they always give me hell looking for the wife to come back. It even happens in the motorhome if the wife goes anywhere on her own.

It's exactly the same in our house Dave, when the wife goes out on her own Bara will follow her trail to the gate and then find the highest part of the garden and sit there howling like a wolf :RollEyes: It's a good job we don't have any neighbours :ROFLMAO:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
What a little character he is. Has his own personality and lets you know if he wants anything.
He met the little grandchildren today-3 and 4 yrs old and they loved him. He missed them when they went. Had to tell them he came to stay for a holiday, to save any grief later.

Well you never know, but I have a feeling that if his previous owners were really concerned about him they would have contacted the dog warden or the RSPCA or someone. On BBC Radio Suffolk they have a regular weekly feature where they read out messages from people who have last their dogs.

As far as feeding goes you may have to try different things soaking the dry in soup might make him eat it but the manufacturers told me that they don't recomend this because the dry is supposed to help clean their teeth.

We found that Bara would drop the most expensive (and supposedly the best) dry granules back inher bowl, or not even touch them, latter I read that Royal Cannine is a very rich food, we now give Bara Nutrigrain which is cheaper but she likes it.

Likewise we found (By accident really) that a few large spoonfuls of a very cheap tinned food which is 95% vegetable and rice helped with their poo :whatthe:

HTH

S

shaz1

Deleted User
Buccanneer Clipper owner's manual

Hi, Does anyone have a book or a copy or know the whereasbouts of obtaining an owner's manual for a Buccanneer Clipper Motorhome. Have just recently purchased one and has been of excellent use but we have no info on it as with regards to the gadjets, ie, tank sizes, auxiliary battery wiring, etc. Any help would be gratefully appreciated

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I think Ill hold him here myself. I am waiting for the dog warden to ring back. My friend is calling in at lunchtime with some dry food and a spare lead.
Wel done they are a beautiful friendly breed that absolutely love people and children,although they dont tend to get on very well with other dogs or CATS but as i say you will grow to love him very quickly once again well done:thumb::thumb::thumb:

ralphman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
pevensey bay
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
4 years
[Unitedgirl, I was wondering where hed sleep. I took him to the shop in the car but he was a bit agitated and pined. Even with hubby holding him. Maybe he thought he was going to the vets.
I hope in the motorhome, if we keep him, it will be different as it will be our living space.
I hope in the motorhome, if we keep him, it will be different as it will be our living space.[/QUOTE]

hi jomel, we've just got back from ralphs 1st trip away, we took his bed/cushion with us and at first he wanted to sleep up front through the curtains ( he likes to be enclosed in any sort of den) but then thought he'd try his luck on the bed but told him 'off' a few times & he slept like a baby on his cushion all night :winky: when we parked up on the beach we tied him to the step on a long lead & he kept whining so everytime he did it i told him 'quiet' & he was put in the mh, 3x times we did this & after that he 'knew' and was good as gold all day, we've just got back now & had a fab time. We woke at 7am at belle toute lighthouse (that's beachy head) went prawning on the beach, then drove to cooden beach where you can park right on the beach & stayed till 8pm, lovely lovely day & especially surprised how good the ralphman was :whatthe:

Last edited:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
On the offchance no one claims him and we keep him and we have purchased the motorhome of our dreams by then, I have sourced info on taking pets to Europe including rabies vacs, blood tests, passport etc and ferry crossings but what about coming back? will there be any issues like keeping him in quarantine etc?
Have any of you taken your dogs abroad in a motorhome? also what about sites? are they dog friendly to responsible owners? just curious in case you know, he stays with us.:winky:

No Problem

We came over on 5th August - straight through boarding and customs.

We are in Europe now, on our first 'dog attached' trip.

Shopping in Breda yesterday I was shocked to see shoppers with their dogs in the indoor shopping cventre.

Dogs are MORE accepted over here. It's Brilliant.

Returning on 5th Sept. Will post then to say how we coped.

June

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back