Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I have been found by a Staffordshire bull Terrier that wandered in through the back door this morning.
You would think he lived here all along.
I gave him some water and made some enquiries via telephone so hopefully someone will claim him.
At the moment he is curled up at my feet and every time I so much as glance at him, his tail wags.
I am on crutches (whole other story) and was worried how he would react to me taking him out to the garden but he walked really slowly at the side of me.
He wasnt interested in going to the loo, as soon as we came in he was happy as larry, gruffling and snorting and rolling on my best designer rug. He is now snoring at my feet lol.
I have rung round everyone and the one person I was sure owned him has his Staffie with him and she is lighter.
Its a small community here so someone should come and get him...hopefully?....dont know bowt taking a dog in a motorhome full time lol never came into the reckoning.

Stroudwaterboy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one currently
Exp
10 years
If you contact the local council the dog warden will come and check his chip for you and then he can be reunited with his owner. Sounds like my dog who has some Staffy in him (we think), totally friendly and will cuddle up to anyone who gives him a rub. A piece of chicken and you will be his friend for life:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I think Ill have to report him as a missing dog. Just no joy in finding the owner round here. No I think the pit bulls are an illegal dog. Staffordshire bull terriers are ok methinks, well my friend has two similar and equally as friendly.
Poor thing, mind you as I say it is perfectly content here and is sleeping, apart from when I move then it follows me.

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Arn't they an illigal breed in the UK?

Boo

You are thinking of pitbulls and even they are not illegal,just highly controlled .

Jornel , welldone on giving the little fella sanctuary :thumb: If the dogwarden takes the dog and he is not claimed in 7 days his fate will be in the lap of the gods ,if you want to hold him yourself you must notify the dogwarden then wait 28 days to see if he is claimed.

Sounds a nice fella :Smile:

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I think Ill hold him here myself. I am waiting for the dog warden to ring back. My friend is calling in at lunchtime with some dry food and a spare lead.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Its very kind of you giving him tlc rather than evicting him, but have you tel any local vets in the area, they might know of him also his owner may have contacted the vets

If ever any of my dogs had strayed hope they meet someone as caring as you:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
The council said that the warden will come and check if he is chipped and that chances are as he is so well behaved, the owner has probably gone to work and doesnt know he is missing. They asked when would I like them to collect to take him to the dogs home. Ha ha! no chance, I said he can stay here with me till they find his owners. If no one claims him then we will look after him but I am sure someone will he is such a nice dog.
Ahh Champers, who could be cruel to animals? Didn't really have time to think about wether I should see him off anyway haha he just came in and decided he was now part of the family:Smile:
The Dog warden just rang and his on his way with a chip detector.

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
they are NOT an illegal breed in u,k . and you are very lucky he came to you , we have two and they are the best dogs ever . in the right hands they are a very gentle breed , you can always take it to a vet to see if its micro chipped. but if you do decide to keep it you will have a friend for life , our two love it in the motor home , and lets face it they are good security :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Well done!!::bigsmile: hope if any of our dogs wandered they met someone like you.

He may have been dumped, a lot of dogs are suffering this fate with the credit crunch.

Hope for a good outcome

Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
No chip. I am surprised. Yes I never thought he might be dumped but looking at him, his coat is glossy and he is adorable.
RSPCA said if he went to the kennels today they could rehome him after 7 days so doesnt see a problem with me having him after that. I am already attached to him but hope someone is missing him and finds where he is.
If not? dog insurance, vet checks and worming and flea check I spose.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
No chip. I am surprised. Yes I never thought he might be dumped but looking at him, his coat is glossy and he is adorable.
RSPCA said if he went to the kennels today they could rehome him after 7 days so doesnt see a problem with me having him after that. I am already attached to him but hope someone is missing him and finds where he is.
If not? dog insurance, vet checks and worming and flea check I spose.

Don't be surprised people are strange to us dog lovers.

We had dealings with a poodle rescue centre and one was brought in because it did not match the new carpet, and they wanted another they left their old one but the center would not give them another so off they went.

There is no accounting for some people

Hope you get him he deserves you

Dave:thumb::thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
my dogs are not chipped but are tattooed(ear) they are oldies now but chipping wasn't always successful years ago also not always the same type chip reader used

Sounds a great dog

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As long as you are happy to keep him there, there is no need or legal requirement for the RSPCA to take the dog, besides after 7 days they would only charge you a £100 donation to have him back, no sure who they think they are.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Yes, I just looked up illagal dogs in the UK............it says:

•​
Pit Bull Terrier

•​
Japanese Tosa

•​
Dogo Argentino

Fila Braziliero

In short they mean Landsharks or chavdogs :thumb:

Awwwww! is sounds sweet :Smile:

You could go as far as putting a poster/pic in the local shops/postoffice to find the owner..........................that is unless you want to keep him :winky:

Boo

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
We had dealings with a poodle rescue centre and one was brought in because it did not match the new carpet, and they wanted another they left their old one but the center would not give them another so off they went.

:whatthe: Blimey! what kind of peeps are they? Im glad that the poor dog stayed at the centre and hope it got a nice home. There should be laws against some people owning any animal.

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Most of the local shops have an Ad in as I rang this morning Boo. I wonder if he has walked a long way as he is sleeping a lot.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
How long have you lived there ? perhaps he belonged to previous owners of the house.
Anyway you are a lovely person to look after him :thumb: most people would have shooed him away

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Did the vet give you any idea how old he was?

Looks like you might have a new member of ya family ::bigsmile:

Boo

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

:whatthe: Blimey! what kind of peeps are they? Im glad that the poor dog stayed at the centre and hope it got a nice home. There should be laws against some people owning any animal.

If you want stories that will make your hair curl just get to know people who run the centres you would not believe the stories they can tell.

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Lived here for years Dylan.
No boo it was RSPCA guy that came out and he was a stand in for regular guy, not sure how old he is, I would guess at about 10 -months to a year old.
He is very attached to me though.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Don't worry they know where they are well off.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
What a great thread!!! Please keep us posted, won't you!

I know, it has brought my soft side out in me (coughs) :Blush:

Had a bearded collie called 'Scoobs' for 15yrs before she died................I WILL get another dog when I retire for deffo :thumb:

Boo

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
On the offchance no one claims him and we keep him and we have purchased the motorhome of our dreams by then, I have sourced info on taking pets to Europe including rabies vacs, blood tests, passport etc and ferry crossings but what about coming back? will there be any issues like keeping him in quarantine etc?
Have any of you taken your dogs abroad in a motorhome? also what about sites? are they dog friendly to responsible owners? just curious in case you know, he stays with us.:winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
You have my respect for looking after the fella:thumb:

He will need a pet passport for abroad.

If he's OK with you I hope you can keep him rather than the RSPCA.

Good luck.

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
comeing back is easy as long as his passport is in order . you just have to tke him to the vets no less then 24hours and no more then 48hours before you sail . if you do keep him get the passport under way as soon as you can . word of worning . france and spain do not like staffies they are on a list that says they have to wear a muzzel when in public places . let us no how this pup gets on . if you cant keep him i can always work on other half to let him join my two :thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
On the offchance no one claims him and we keep him and we have purchased the motorhome of our dreams by then, I have sourced info on taking pets to Europe including rabies vacs, blood tests, passport etc and ferry crossings but what about coming back? will there be any issues like keeping him in quarantine etc?
Have any of you taken your dogs abroad in a motorhome? also what about sites? are they dog friendly to responsible owners? just curious in case you know, he stays with us.:winky:

Jomel, first what a nice thread you have started and what a kind person you are. If this will be your first dog let me tell you that you are about to embark on a journey the like of which you could never imagine. Once the little fella is truly established in your home it will be his constant endevour to keep you all together. Dogs far exceed humans in their desire to keep the 'pack' together and their devotion and faithfulness belittles us mere humans ::bigsmile:

Don't worry about 'fulltiming' there are many who do it and take their dogs with them, the MH will become his home and the problem might be if you should decide to move back to bricks and mortar again in the future.

Likewise don't worry about quarantine, if you stay within the EU and have a 'Pet Passport' all will be sorted, there is some requirements on return but lots of vets around Calais can do the necessary jabs.

If he has a 'proper' owner and he is found then so be it, but sadly in these 'credit crunch' times there are many dogs just being 'dumped' I just can'timagine how anyone could do that but it does happen as others have said above.

Do please keep us updated, I shall look for this thread every day now ::bigsmile:

ETA:-
I am 'wobbling' around on crutches just now as well!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
:ROFLMAO: Ha ha ha Slickmouse, just re read what I typed.

Aww Theresa, thats kind of you. I shall bear it in mind. Hes luvverly!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back