Lost Channels - BBC1 West and Channel 4

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by lunarman, Dec 30, 2010.

1. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Can anyone help.

I am having problems with my sat system. I have lost 2 channels BBC1 West and Channel 4. I am using a comag 30/12 receiver hooked up to a globesat dish and pointing at Astra 28.2e.

Everything was fine until we went away before christmas when I could not get BBC1 west, I can get BBC london and all other regions. We have come away today, still no BBC1 west but Channel 4 has has gone now.

Does anyone know how I can get them back.

Thanks

Lunarman

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I assume you're using free-to-air broadcasts rather than Freesat. We have one of the Aldi portable systems for the van which uses that system and have found that sometimes the broadcasters change the channel. We've got them back in the past by re-scanning the channels.

3. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Channel Four has been sold to the Chinese.

And BBC West has been closed down due to lack of interest

Some or all of this may be untrue

4. lunarman

lunarman Funster

The receiver is from Maplins but is the sane as the ALDI one. I've rescanned and got a second BBC1 West that works.:thumb: I still can't get Channel 4 but can get Channel 4 + 1, SWMBO will just have to watch deal or no deal an hour late:Rofl1:

5. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

In mid october some BBC1 and BBC2 regions were moved around to other frequencies, in a shuffle around to make some room for BBC1 HD.

BBC1 West, Channel ISlands, East (west), Yorkshire, South East and a northern region, BBC1&2 Wales, BBC1&2 NI, were all affected. A rescan will pop these back in, as you will have found out.

If you cannot get C4, (or BBC2 England - they both on HORIZONTAL frequencies) then perhaps your disgh is not aligned properly, or is not big enough to receive these channels where you are....

6. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Is there a list anywhere of the channel frequencies, Polarisation, Symbol Rate (Mbaud) and FEC. for both Astra 2 beams.

In Spain on South beam we are on 12207 no BBC or ITV but 5 is OK. I have had various frequencies quoted to get ITV which I have found on 11973 V 27.5 3/4 and saved to other channels under services menu. I have also been told try 12129 V 27.5 2/3 or 10891 H 22.0 5/6

If I had a list of frequencies available it would be much easier to make sense of all this.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

8. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

UK TV comes from 4 satellites - 3 astras and 1 eurobird.
    The 3 Astras use 5 different beams for UK TV.
    Astra 2D - 1 "narrow" beam
    Astra 2A and 2B have north and south beam.
    (Actually 2A or 2B also has another beam pointing towards Nigeria!)

BBC1,2,3,4 are only on Astra 2d, a narrow beam, and not on other "south beams"

The reason why you "change your default frequency" is to help the sky box boot up.
    Normally on boot, the sky box downlaod EPG data from 11778 - a north beam frequency. If you cannot receive this the box does not boot up, so you can get "some" EPG data from any other frequency you can receive - like ANY south beam frequency.

Once you have channel on your sky box, changing this default frequency DOES NOTHING ELSE...changing it does not make channel last longer.

BBC Channels (apart from BBC News, Parliament and Alba) are on Astra 2d - the "big dish" satellite, so you will not get BBC1,2,3,4 using ANY other frequenvcy that the actual frequencies they are on!

Dont confuse the default transponder with channel reception - they are two completely different things!

The reason why you can get ITV1 on 11973 is becuse they are nt on Astra 2d, where the free to air "no sky card" versions are as they claim to not have enough room for them on there, so they put them on another satelite, which, as it has a more "generous" footprint, they try to limit its availability over europe by making them Sky card channels.

Like FIVE, there is a free to air no sky card version on 10773h, and 3 FIVE regions on 12422h south beam that require a sky card.

On 12129 you will only find 1 channel - S4C.

Sure.
    Free to air channel frequencies: http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html
    Sky channel frequencies: http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html

Hope this helps you understand why, even if you input a south beam transponder you cannot get BBC1 on it...!