Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
renault machzone high top
Exp
since 1998
Long long ago I was a trucker. The holies on A5 a great overnight for truckers. This is in the days we struggled to get permits for trips to Europeand back empty... Norbert didn'thave this problem. They could come over. Tip and load in kKent. Deliver to the north then load back to Europe. The hollies ?????? Well they bought the fuel station behind. Brought tankers of no tax fuel over. So their lorries had cheap fuel. No wonder British haulage went to the wall. No level playing field...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oddly, I cannot remember ever seeing a Norberts wagon..
I will have to watch out for them in future..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I could be wrong but he started out with one wagon in silloth many moons ago? Robsons of Carlisle used to put names on the front of there wagons each one started with borderer Eg wanderer, They had Foden 2 stroke wagons which sounded brilliant and made my dinner hour at school better, what a bloody anorak iam.:whistle:
I used to drive one, sounded brilliant but unreliable engine. Busby.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Patinter" Patinter.com www.patinter.com/en/.
Portugals answer to Eddie and Norbet "Dis-entangle"/"Dressing-table" etc LOL... TOP MAN!!
Tea Bag.
PS. One of "Patties men" Edgar,not only help load the contents/scrap/cr*p,from our daughters place in Lincoln but delivered it to an,"Adobi hacienda ?? here in Portugal and helped unload it,PROPER trucker 10/4

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
I used to drive one, sounded brilliant but unreliable engine. Busby.
That's why love old bikes and deltics, Imagine trying to get a two stroke wagon through emission laws now. Iam glad iam old enough to remember foden 2 stroke engines .(y)

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi.
"Patinter" Patinter.com www.patinter.com/en/.
Portugals answer to Eddie and Norbet "Dis-entangle"/"Dressing-table" etc LOL... TOP MAN!!
Tea Bag.

I am quite used to seeing more Patinter wagons trundling up and down the A20 Vierzon - Limoges then Norbert's. On one trip back to the UK last year we (something for the grandsons to do) counted more than 30 Patinter trucks. I understand they have / had a contract delivering parts to the German Ford factory on a just-in-time basis.

J

Tom'n'Gill

Free Member
Jan 3, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Some experience.
Am an agency driver, worked for a lot of companies but never Stobarts, guess they are just lucky.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
My favourite haulage company that I see very often trundling up and down the M5 is Downtons.....
index.jpg

Reactions: f6c

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
We spot JODA husband used to know all drivers but now agency workers there too

Liz

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't start me. They used to be a customer of mine when I had owned a software company. I won't go any further in case I say something undiplomatic.
It must be something about transport companies because John Dee also used to be a customer. They were at one time one of the largest transport fleets in the UK and I fell out with them too. They went bust shortly after. Karma.

I grew up in Potto, used to clean old man Preston's boots for "Bob a job" often in the winter the wagons would get stuck on the small lanes back to the depot, either in the snow or mud running too far over to pas traffic, they kept an old Field Marshall "pop pop" tractor for pulling them out, great entertainment for us kids.

Martin

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
TNT started in Aus by Thomas and a checq fella call Peter Ables with just 2 ex american army GMCs 6x6 21/2 tonners. Ables took control and the "Empire" expanded to world wide.
He bought the Union Steam ship Company from P&O. All the old ships (about 35 or so) he sold to his wife for a $NZ1, she formed the Muldive Shipping Company and sold the lot for a few Squillion to Imelda Marcos.

I think the company is now owned by FedEx, could be wrong though

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
My game is spotting GB trucks in Europe; not so many now though! Have to differentiate between genuine ones and European tractors in GB company colours pulling genuine G B trailers. Some of the British ones can be of unexpected identity, such as : a northern firm (identity escapes me) hauling steel on old flatbed trailers hauled by dark green Daf Spacecabs in northern/central Italy; one of our local hauliers, Mansel Davies, on Welsh milk haulage near Brugges. Anorak? No - geek and proud !!! Not called Toby Trux for nothing ! Incidentally, the Bedford TM also had a two stroke engine, a Detroit diesel. I love the old Merc SKs with the V8 lumps, beautiful sound and smell .... I prefer old Mercs more than any other motors, probably why I am happily living in one full time (as we speak, in fact).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back