Lorry ban in Germany and a wide track weave

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by campa cola, Sep 26, 2016.

1. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Just been reminiscing about driving through Germany a week or so ago on a sunday.....no lorries. For those of you that dont know they are banned from autobahns (over 7.5 tons) for the entire day.

Sunday is a good day to drive apart from the evenings when the Germans return home or relocate back to work at warp factor 10! Later on a Sunday You could also easily get caught up in a long queue, as Germans are extracted from the 100 mph shunter they just did in the roadworks.

On a lot of autobahns they keep lorries on the inside lanes during the day, The only downside to that is they have made tramlines in many of the roads. My wide track FIAT chassis dislikes this and goes into an unstable weave even at 56 MPH. I did what I used to do avoid a tankslapper on my bike, gently backed off the gas and lightly held the steering wheel but let it ride out the instability. It was very difficult to get any kind of sweet spot on these tramlines, and a little dangerous particularly at speed. It could get you caught out :(

Anyway the lorry ban is something the UK should be considering, its much better all round.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Yep(y) every day:p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Move goods around the country by canal barges I say(y)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Or train;)

• Like Like x 4
  5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I didn’t realise till I went to an aerial photo exhibition of 30's Scottish industrial sites, just how extensive the old branch line system was
    Basically most factories or industrial estates of note had a branch line going to them, plus of course the intergrated post office system....Successive govts and The road lobby destroyed all that.

6. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

Doubtless everyone probably knows this anyway, but the French have had a "No HGV (except refrigerated) Sunday ban" on their Autoroutes for years - I'm not sure, but it may apply to the Route Nationals too.

I don't know that we'll ever see it being adopted in the UK, we're too much of a workaholic * nation. Nice to dream though.

[Edit] * and money grabbing

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I wonder how long it would take a canal barge to overtake another.
    A lot longer than it takes a truck to pass a truck which seems like a lifetime. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. campa cola

campa cola Funster

The Germans would no doubt consider themselves the hardest workers in Europe....but obviously adding in eastern european and German HGV drivers into the mad sunday evening rush was causing to much carnage.

9. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

(y)Yep I worked at a old Slaughterhouse years ago and that still had the sidings and loading bay for trains, the site is now a housing estate, often wonder if the big hole with hundreds of cattle bodies covered in quicklime because of foot and mouth are still under the houses:eek::eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I visited one of our mills in the States, raw materials (Polypropylene pellets) all came by rail into a siding, did away with the need for silo's for storage, just move another truck into the mill when required.

11. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

May have been posted in jest, but in reality too slow and long-winded. Trains "MAY" be quicker over a long distance, but you've still got to get the goods to and from the depots. Until someone invents teleportation I'm afraid trucks (and cars) are here to stay because they're the most versatile means of getting goods (and people) from A to B.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

Somewhat different scenario though. USA, big country, plenty of space and a single type product, delivered in bulk to (presumably) a large plant. I'm sure the same applies to large plants in this country. But undoubtedly sizeable quantities of goods will be delivered by road in both cases.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

There is a fixed amount of product that needs to be shifted each week. If you ban lorries on 1 day in 7 then that traffic will just move to other days.

You will end up with worse congestion on the roads the rest of the week with a Sunday ban. Deliveries would take longer and costs would rise.

Just saying :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The HGV ban is not just in Germany. The HGV ban is Europe wide from midday Saturday until midnight Sunday. The only HGVs allowed on any road other than the corridor through Belgium during these times are those carrying perishables. The service areas of Luxembourg are like a Le Mons start at midnight Sunday and to avoided by all other than the foolhardy.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Supermarkets not being open on Sundays in France and Germany make a difference.

Dick

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just ban cars etc . let trucks use the roads . most car drivers could use trains or buses much easier then the goods folk. agter all most car drivers are the dangerous drivers racing around .
    be far better if car drivers had a test every ten years as most seem to have forgotten rules etc and most cant see more than a few feet in front of them . and never if it doesnt suit them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

And it was the relaxation of Sunday trading laws plus the shift to an "I want it and I want it now!!" society that has seen such a massive rise in vehicle (truck and van) movements in this country. That move will also rule out any possibility that we might ban trucks even for a few hours on a Sunday.

The other advantage of a Sunday ban on trucks is that at least almost all truck drivers get their weekly rest!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rob Turner

Rob Turner Funster

I used to run to Italy with hanging lambs so the weekends were no problem and the best times to drive apart from the holidays. Know what you mean about the tramlines though. Could pretty much get to the M25 from Rugby without holding the wheel at one time

• Like Like x 2
  19. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    How strange! We had a local goods shunting yard (over the hump and wgons switched into the required siding) and the same happened there with cattle carcasses at the time of foot and mouth (not the recent outbreak).
    Anyway, that yard and the liime pits beneath now display a large sign "........... every little helps" :)

You just never know what lies beneath your feet while you do your shopping.

20. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I agree with you ! The Germans are allowed to drive far to fast for an average persons driving ability. Its also uncomfortable for MH users as the vortex created by cars doing 150+ mph is less predictable than even a lorry one, plus a kind of sonic boom !!!! :Eeek: