Looks like we'll be getting a new mh after all .....

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Diggerdi, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Diggerdi

Diggerdi Funster

In my first post on here to introduce myself, I said that we were looking for an older motorhome, possibly about 15 years old. However, we went to the Motorhome Show at Manchester yesterday and it looks like we might be investing in a brand new Elddis this time next year! I have a couple of questions though, and hope someone on here will be able to help me.

Firstly, Elddis do not fit cd players any more (don't know whether other manufacturers do). Is it possible to have a cd player fitted that doesn't look as though it's an "add on"?

Secondly, the ones we're looking at, either the Accordo 105 or the Autoquest 115, are both two berth, with seatbelts only for driver and passenger. Is it possible to have seatbelts fitted to the rear, side facing, seats so that we can take family on days out?

I know I'm going to have lots and lots of questions over the coming 12 months and I'm certain this forum will be invaluable. Have you ever barred anyone for asking too many questions!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

My Sunlight didn't have a CD player and it certainly doesn't look like an add on. The slot should be there just no unit so as long as you get one fitted it should be fine. I am sure you will get a lot of info regards seat belts, the legality of fixing to chassis and about the dangers of travelling sideways.
    Enjoy the build up to a new MH:clap:

• Like Like x 1
  3. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Diggerdi,
    I know nothing about the vans you have in mind but if you are considering taking more people than there are seat belts then you need to continue looking around.
    There is lots of information on the site regarding the seat belts issue but to put it simply.
    DON'T DO IT (y)
    Welcome to the forum, lots and lots of good advice that can save you making expensive mistakes, enjoy the hunt.
    Norman,

• Like Like x 5
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Welcome :)
    Some would say spend the money on a second hand European van rather than a new English one as the build quality is better.

• Like Like x 5
  5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

cds are history im afraid its all ipods and music on your phone now has the radio got an aux in connection for those?

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

retro-fitting a cd player is simple, retro-fitting seatbelts although it sounds simple is basically impossible

• Like Like x 1
  8. Diggerdi

Diggerdi Funster

Thanks for your replies. I did think that would be the case with seatbelts. Either we don't take passengers or look for a 3/4 berth. The CD player doesn't bother me as I tend to use my phone through bluetooth in the car, but my husband is a bit of a dinosaur (hope he doesn't see this!) and will not embrace new technology. He hates computers, mobile phones etc. I tried explaining that it's just the same as when they stopped putting cassette players in and replaced them with cd players. Saying that, he used to have an 8-track - well before MY time, I've never seen one.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Could I just say a leap in thought from a 15 year old van to a new one, I know at the shows all the new ones look marvellous, they can have as many issues as older ones, if you haven't already committed to buying a new one , I would keep my options open, a 3 or 4 year old van with low mileage and maybe a CD , you would have a bigger range of motorhomes to choose from.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. wanderingyp

wanderingyp Funster Life Member

For info, you don't have to have a 3/4 berth to get 4 seat belted seats, many 2 berth vans have 4 seat belted seats -they are usually the ones with dinettes. Hope this is helpful.

11. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

12. jonegood

jonegood Funster

I dont want to pour cold water on your dreams, but would suggest you have a very good look at the construction methods of whatever Motorhome you choose.

I personally would buy a secondhand Hymer etc, over a british motorhome every single time.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I'm with @Carol an older more quality van is a better option than a new eldis imo ..

And I sing the praises of brit vans ..

In relation to choice go for more berths than you need will give you more space too and a chance to show off to friends about where they sleep.

Good luck with your choice and welcome

• Like Like x 4
  14. parigby

parigby Read Only Funster

Just one little tip ( other than buy s/h for your first van ) - before signing on dotted line, make sure of three things :

1. you can fit into the bed / beds, without bits of yourself hanging off ends, sides, corners etc

2. when on loo you can shut the toilet door (on one van we couldn't )

3. you can actually get to sit on the loo (on same van we couldn't )

• Like Like x 5
  15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ha ha had some friends in similar position after spending 90k on a burster. .feet couldn't touch the floor when she sat on lloo

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I hear record decks and vinyl are the new "in" system now, better quality than cd's I'm told. You could sit in the back and deejay whils he's driving.(y)

17. sedge

sedge Funster

LOL @haganap - we know those folk too - and it was a surprise. A costly mistake too, so DO take your time.

People go on and on about British vans being rubbish - well some unlucky people get rogue products wherever they are made or whoever sells them, because nobody is perfect unless they actually are God. We were always happy with our van - it was only because I found the ladder up/down to the overcab bed in the Bessacar we had rather difficult/tedious to negotiate multiple times nightly that we even thought of changing it when we did.

We'd always been convinced that a fixed bed was a waste of space and here we are with a fixed bed, but they are a waste of space unless you can go for a longer van than us, because you lose length of 'sofas' in the lounge/dining area.

And Pete has just reminded me we were parked in Portugal for about a month the other year on a C&CC winter rally to a lovely couple from Geordie-land with a Burstner a similar age to our Pilote, less than a year. By that time - they had had to have the roof replaced no less than three times - since it leaked.

And we'd had to have the Dometic engineer out and the fridge flue 'swept' and a new bit (in the ignition ) as after about 5 months it stopped working on gas. Could have been caused by 'dirty' gas - but doesn't matter really, these things happen in vans and caravans and cause the van owner annoyance - it doesn't mean that either Burstners, Pilotes or Dometic fridges are rubbish !

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. parigby

parigby Read Only Funster

We all kind of know, that the majority of MoHomer's, , when they purchase their first van, get the layout wrong - l know l did, with my first ....... and then my second !

We also all know, that these are expensive mistakes, but that they are also mistakes which are difficult to avoid, simply because you do not have the experience bank to rely upon as to what layout suits your individual requirements. Therefore, if you buy s/h first time round, you are at least going some way towards minimising the almost inevitable loss.

Going back to my loo post above, l once stopped a somewhat larger than average lady from signing on the dotted line, by suggesting she did the loo test - salesman scowls at me as the lady waddled off to check out said loo - two minutes later she's back " l can't fit " - salesman's scowl turns to glower, as said lady walks away.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Go to another show and start afresh look at lots of makes and if you do decide to go new make it clear you are serious and want a deal. We are really happy with our chausson and the new models look good but each to their own with drop down beds don't need a huge motorhome to have a big lounge.

20. Debs

Debs Funster

:):hiya2: & welcome:)

Feel free to ask all the questions you need to.......you will get lots of answers.....only some of which will be serious:LOL:

All I would say is look at as many mh's as you can....when we eventually bought it was so completely different to what we thought we wanted layout wise:).....and take your time, it's easy to get carried away with all the showroom shine:D

Might be an idea to visit a few of the warners shows through the year if you can......lots of members rally at them so you can have a nose & see first hand how things work out in reality .......and you'd get to meet some very nice folk.(y)

(Have a look in the scheduled rally section).......there will be quite a few of us at the Chester Food Fair over Easter weekend.

Deb

• Like Like x 1