Looks like that low price diesel is going to be a thing of the past (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have a link about a petition to the government concerning foreign aid contribution being set at 0.7% of GDP.
If I knew how to download it to here, I would so some of you could sign it if so inclined !!
If I knew how !!!
Mitch.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have a more simplistic view on this.

I work, or rather did work until very recently, in the oil and gas business and am rather enjoying being a house husband but with no income as I'm one of the victims of the low oil price. Time at home with my family is great, but the mortgage still needs paid and I don't have an infinite amount of savings to last us through the downturn. Trying to reinvent oneself is proving rather difficult, too.

I'd rather the fuel price rocketed as a consequence of a rocketing oil price rather than bemoan how fuel that has plummeted in price of late is now steadily creeping up. The oil price isn't moving much higher and this is terribly bad news for me. Diddums, I know.

I don't give a rat's ar$e how many monopolies or cartels there are, as long as the oil price heads ever higher and my phone begins to ring again with agents needing my skills. Likewise, the higher the pump price, generally the happier I'll be. It's a selfish view, but one that's relevant to an ever increasing amount of people.

Alas, I don't see the above happening for quite some time. The world has changed and the Government will continue to extract as much tax from fuel as they can. I think Diesel is especially at risk as all the guff spouted about it being a 'green' fuel in recent years has now been correctly proved otherwise. The pump price has to rise to dissuade users (in part, at least) and to start paying the environmental price that it is now costing our country.
Really, you want us to pay more for our fuel, your right it is selfish and I understand that from your personal point of view.
Maybe if the tosspot at the top wasn't paid 14million (1 million would suffice) then maybe you wouldn't be out of work
This bollocks about environmental issue didn't bother you when things were going ok I assume ;)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Pl

Ok, but how is the CEO paid £14 million out of such a shit businesso_O(y)
.....I didn't say it was right (it is very wrong indeed) but although BP is a shit business, it is an absolutely huge shit business....... he doesn't deserve it and hasn't earned it but as before, these pay awards are not done on a whim by the chairman rewarding one of his mates; it is normally precisely calculated (mine was calculated to three decimal points) based on performance targets (yes, I know.......) and fixed criteria. The big problem is the definition of what those targets actually are, it can go horribly wrong in both ways as clearly this has done. Rightly or wrongly (and it is certainly the latter) he is "entitled" to it under the terms of his contract, which will have been legally examined by both sides.

Is it right? Emphatically no.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Really, you want us to pay more for our fuel, your right it is selfish and I understand that from your personal point of view.
Maybe if the tosspot at the top wasn't paid 14million (1 million would suffice) then maybe you wouldn't be out of work
This bollocks about environmental issue didn't bother you when things were going ok I assume ;)(y)
My line of business suffered from the downturn as well but was simply glad to get out

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
.....I didn't say it was right (it is very wrong indeed) but although BP is a shit business, it is an absolutely huge shit business....... he doesn't deserve it and hasn't earned it but as before, these pay awards are not done on a whim by the chairman rewarding one of his mates; it is normally precisely calculated (mine was calculated to three decimal points) based on performance targets (yes, I know.......) and fixed criteria. The big problem is the definition of what those targets actually are, it can go horribly wrong in both ways as clearly this has done. Rightly or wrongly (and it is certainly the latter) he is "entitled" to it under the terms of his contract, which will have been legally examined by both sides.

Is it right? Emphatically no.
Comrade (I feel you are one deep down DD) but as you said it's a loss making company so how did he get paid 14million based on precisely calculated performance targets o_O(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Comrade (I feel you are one deep down DD) but as you said it's a loss making company so how did he get paid 14million based on precisely calculated performance targets o_O(y)
Without a good look at the accounts I can't say, but at a guess (as previously said) the loss and more is classed as an exceptional item accounted separately. His bonus would be calculated on the rest of the business which will be profitable. There is always more to these things than meet the eye, but it always makes for good headlines.

Comrade, I'm a committed capitalist trade unionist....... ex employers were staggered to find that someone in a VP position was a union member. Have been for many years

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Without a good look at the accounts I can't say, but at a guess (as previously said) the loss and more is classed as an exceptional item accounted separately. His bonus would be calculated on the rest of the business which will be profitable. There is always more to these things than meet the eye, but it always makes for good headlines.

Comrade, I'm a committed capitalist trade unionist....... ex employers were staggered to find that someone in a VP position was a union member. Have been for many years
I could feel it DD (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I get a small pension from BP, wish I could have written a few of those clauses into it :(

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Noted that the BOP manufacturer was Halliburton and they very quickly and conveniently paid up a relatively small fine and case virtually closed, whilst BP carried the can,

A point I have been making since said "disaster" happened! HALIBURTON (literally) got away with murder. BP, (BTW, the source of many American Pensions!) Took the blame, because it was in O`Buma`s interests! (He don`t like the Brits anyway, `cos we banged his daddy up for being a Mau Mau!!). It kept him off the hook because he could keep emphasising "BRITISH" Petroleum, thereby excusing the AMERICAN`s (Haliburton) who caused the issue!. And keep in with the US voter.

Pete

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!

I own five petrol-powered cars; three of which are V8's. Two of those are our main cars (and they're far more economical than you'd think). The two diesel powered vehicles I own do incredibly low mileages. And, yes, I've known about how harmful diesel can be for many years.

Chase me...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just paid £1.08 at BP for diesel.

#robbingbastards

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A point I have been making since said "disaster" happened! HALIBURTON (literally) got away with murder. BP, (BTW, the source of many American Pensions!) Took the blame, because it was in O`Buma`s interests! (He don`t like the Brits anyway, `cos we banged his daddy up for being a Mau Mau!!). It kept him off the hook because he could keep emphasising "BRITISH" Petroleum, thereby excusing the AMERICAN`s (Haliburton) who caused the issue!. And keep in with the US voter.

Pete
Oh yes...... spot on there. My own conspiracy theory was that the idea was to emasculate BP (which is in fact is mostly owned by US) so that a) they are unable to compete which b) lays the ground for a takeover by Exxon or Chevron. Cynical? Moi?............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back