looking ? what would you do ? (1 Viewer)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The only other thoughts I have, which you will have considered, is how much are you going to have too undo to fit out? It looks pretty but what insulation is in it, what's the wiring how inaccessible are somethings you need to get at.

Lot's of impounderables, my final thought, two finished vans side by side in a couple of years time, this and a much newer PVC, just the size of this, and weight, will put a lot of buyers off.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have always thought those Merc buses would make a great conversion but I suspect I would never buy one.

The newer van would always be more attractive. (y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
think about it logically, youre going to rip the current insides out to convert. what youre left with will be the same as a welfare bus. plenty of those about including the merc ones the same body shape, but half the price and newer

not many people will pay 15k+ for a 20 year old converted van. a newer fiat etc will sell easy enough

be careful not to get over excited and cost yourself money

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:D It's already dropped to 9.5k from ten since I posted this morning -they have also added more inside pics of the rear end -That would make a bed room and the kitchen stuff could go where the rear table and chairs are -then all you need do is make a shower bit in with loo- the forward seats/table drop into a bed -Four birth for what would be a weeks work and maybe 1 to 2 k in fittings :DBetter still if you bid them 8k and meet at 8.5 or 9k :)
terry

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hell of a lot of glass, are the windows double glazed, if not, the condensation could be a problem when you overnight in it ?

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hell of a lot of glass, are the windows double glazed, if not, the condensation could be a problem when you overnight in it ?
They all have pull down blinds so a Karcher window thing may be handy :)
terry

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would have bought it and then be asking these questions, I would possibly also have just found out it doesn't fit on my drive!! Have you measured?

Would you fill in any of the windows? as said above its a lot of glass

Other than that I reckon it would make a brilliant job, never going to be a money maker, but hopefully not a money pit either

For me if it fits on your drive buy it, especially for £8K (y)

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David it's not as big as yours and yours fits on drive :D
Terry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Fancied converting one of these...

Broken Link Removed

Patio doors, lowering suspension, wheelchair access....low mileage, 2008

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fancied converting one of these...

Broken Link Removed

Patio doors, lowering suspension, wheelchair access....low mileage, 2008
I had an Optare Metrorider before this van. The conversion was a bitch to do and the roof was not quite high enough to fit a shower in comfortably. Think you might have the same problem with the Alero if not worse.

I would never convert a bus again :eek:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think your better of with a later van also the coach has very limited appeal to most people youll never get the same money for a self build you would for a probuilt van with a name to itwhat would be the price of a 27 ft rv of that age less the selfie cut

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if theyve dropped the price already that means they are fairly desperate to get rid i would kick them in the goolies with a silly low offer and go from there if your sure you want it i doubt if they have buyer crawling over each other for it if you go and see it you might find out more about why they have dropped price i once bought a lorry very cheap after the guy let slip he was loosing his storage space in a weeks time

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Some interesting items/opinions in the above posts (y)and now Optire raises it's head :LOL:I have always thought they would make a nice van ;)Did not realise they were going that cheap and low miles -the link you gave has gone but I found another 2005 - 54k miles£7k plus vat - and AUTOMATIC which in my book is big brownie points (y)
I will let you know my thought either later today or next weekend on a bus as we are starting a 27 seater Iveco bus / shed today and I already know it's tight on headroom :)
Nothing decided yet on base/what to do so keep suggestions /links coming please (y)
terry
terry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Did not realise they were going that cheap and low miles -the link you gave has gone

Bit odd - that listing - same vehicle on ebay with a different seller in January 85 miles away ?????
- see completed listings

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Terry, have a good look at the Optare before bidding if you decide to go that way. If it has a split level floor, check the height of the roof on the raised part and as you probably know allow for insulation and flooring. You would have thought a bus would have a high roof but they don't :(

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for that (y) think we are getting confused now with optares -its my original link with the old merc bus I am thinking about
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have half made up my mind and other things /ideas have come into play so I am going to go look at it on Wednesday if it's still for sale (y)Don't want to look tomoz as I would have to go myself and don't trust myself :D:LOL:going with a voice of reason to keep me in check ;)
terry

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You should run a poll on it. That way you will easily see the majority answers.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You should run a poll on it. That way you will easily see the majority answers.
Hi Sandra I have an idea what most have said -go for it -:Dbut there is the voice in the back of my head asking what happens in a yr or two if I decide to sell ? I am thinking it's 26 ft long and as such prob too big for the way I use a van -I go to shop etc and use it as I would my car -not simply go from A to B and park it up -for my entire stay in one place ----I also need to look at the length of a Fiat lwb van and check out how long the Iveco's,sprinters and crafters are --As I already said I am going to look Wednesday if only to get it out of my head :)IF it's as nice as I think it is then I have another option in play so will see what happens then (y)I could well end up with two to choose from :D
Another factor is how impressed with the SWB tranny that Hollyberry got from us :)I amazed myself what you can fit into what is only 8ft long in the back
(y):) Do I need much more room -compact is probably a understatement but if I got one that small I could deffo use it as a everyday vehicle and get rid of the car :D:unsure:
terry

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You know the old saying...If in doubt do nowt :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back