Looking to purchase first motorhome

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by logan5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. logan5

logan5 Read Only Funster

Hi everyone,

Another novice here! We are looking to purchase our first motorhome to accomodate two adults, two 6-year old kids and a puppy. Our budget is £15K (could probably go a couple higher). Usage would be mainly weekends at the coast plus annual leave.

I guess that limits us to models 95-2001 ish. We would prefer something not too long (need to fit onto a drive with two other cars). I assume we're also looking at models with 2 3-point seats behind the cab (the wife prefers large U-shaped lounge at the back but age and price range limits us in that respect?)

We are going to go to have a look at Wellsbridge Motorhomes this weekend (near Ramsey, Cambs). Has anyone dealt with this company before? (We will be taking our time to research though and not rushing in!)
    Cheers

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

you need to look wide and at many

Look at as many as you can within your budget. Ebay has many Motor homes and RV's for sale, try auto trader and look in your local papers. You do need to do lots of research... OK a dealer will give you back up, but they have to make a profit.. you pay that profit in the buying price.. Private is OK if you carry out your HPI type checks and can have some one look at it.. do a damp check.. common sense will tell you if it is right for you.

Go to one of the big shows.. Malvern on this weekend and you have Bath & West and Lincoln in September.. look at what is on offer, you can then look around for something similar.

Took me 2 years to find my RV (Which is for sale on ebay)... taken me a year so far to find the replacement .. so even with 20 years plus owning a motor home or RV I still find it hard... you will get there.. but look wide.

Bob

3. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome Logan we have an elddis 130 and have been very happy with it we are currently thinking of selling it to upgrade to an newer model, I would recommend this model for you and your family not the poshest MH but really good value for money ours is a 2006 and would be looking for slightly more than your stretched budget but im sure you will get one within your budget around 2004.

If you have any question on an elddis feel free to ask.

4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:welcome:

5. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Wellsbridge are fine. They have a lot undercover and Harry - the owner - is a nice bloke to deal with. While your in the area it may pay you to give Pioneer Caravans a call as they are just up the road in Eye Peterborough - I bought my van from them in 2006 - a brand new Catrioca656 - and still have it. another great outfit to deal with.

6. logan5

logan5 Read Only Funster

Hi all,

thanks for taking the time to reply. After a good look on the internet, we think we want something with the central dinette (so we can have 3 point belts for the two seats behind driver). Not too fussed about the extra 5th bench seat, as we can have a shorter vehicle then which helps with the drive and also that we will mainly use for day trips and Saturday night stopovers.

Does the AA etc do inspections for motorhomes?

cheers

7. Binky

Binky Funster

We spent ages looking before taking the plunge and each visit to a dealer, chat to owners and research offered more information (and more confusion). We made a number of visits to Wellsbridge and have friends who have purchased there and been very happy. They do leave you alone to poke around, which is ideal. The chaps at White Arches were also very good - loads of information and no pressure.

We too looked at the parking on the drive option, but opted for local storage at Abbots Ripton at £20 per month, really just for security (and not upsetting the neighbours). Wellsbridge offer storage for their customers, but (I believe) you can only access this storage during opening hours.

8. maz

maz Funster

Hi Logan and welcome to the Fun! :Smile:

The AA do inspect motorhomes but only look at the base vehicle not the habitation side of things. For about £85 more, MACIC will inspect just about everything you can think of. http://www.macic.co.uk/

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Wellsbridge are Ok, not heard anything bad about them, you could also try Becks in Norfolk, another good dealer

Peter