Looking to buy. What to look for (1 Viewer)

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi
Going to look at a 2012 Autotrail Delaware this weekend and was after any advice relating to this model/make when looking at second hand ones. I would expect there to be a service history and records of any damage/repairs to hopefully be available. I am normally OK when looking at second hand cars but his is our first foray into motorhomes so this a totally new experience.
Tips as to what should be checked and how, i.e. do I ask them to run up the water and gas systems to prove they work or anything else that I should pay attention to, in particular. Will the dealer be expecting these sort of requests. Can you take it for a test drive?
All things like that. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Nik

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you look at the right of screen, cluck on Jim's shop and there's an e book about what to look for, what to bargain on etc....
I found it very helpful.

Take a damp meter! Look in all cupboards and lift up all cushions to look for signs of damp. I moved a cushion on a m.home I looked at and found the wall black with mould.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Damp is the number one killer.

You also need to check (if you haven't already done so) that the layout will work for you..... lie on the bed and sit on the loo to make sure there is enough space to do the necessary :)

Dealers will organise a test drive and you should get a full service on both vehicle and habitation area if you buy from a dealer - plus a guarantee. Some guarantees are worth having - we had a couple of minor issues fixed on our purchase under guarantee with no quibbles.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back