Looking to buy our first motorhome

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Angela32, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Angela32

Angela32 Read Only Funster

Hi we are looking to buy our first motorhome. We've done loads of research and have settled (for the moment) on a style we like Elddis Autoquest 145 but have a limited budget so definitely buying used. Does anyone know of similar models that offer the four travel seats, over cab bed and the small U shaped rear lounge. Have hired larger motorhomes in the past and they are not for us as we want to get to more out of the way places.
    Any advice or opinion's from experienced motorhomer's very appreciated
    Thanks
    Angela

• Like Like x 1
  2. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

Hello and Welcome :) Just googled the model your looking at and it looks a nice van :) as long as it can take all you possession and kitted out with all the kit you need.

3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

autotrail apache 700

autotrail scout

theres a 03 scout on ebay circa £20k.?

I lot depends on your budget/ability to do some remeadal work/deep cleaning

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaime

Jaime

Very wise, I had driven "big" motorhome with co-pilot (former partner) but driving "big" on my own with only miniature Yorkshire Terrier as co-pilot is intimidating. I simply don't trust his judgement when he barks, could be anything he is alerting me to, a rabbit, another dog, it need not necessarily be an imminent impact.

My advice, big is NOT better in this situation.

Having said that, buying a motorhome of any type is easy, selling the damn thing is quite another matter!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Angela32

Angela32 Read Only Funster

Totally up for doing a deep clean and a little bit of maintenance if it means we can keep the price down. The one we are looking at has sofa cushions that either need recovering and or some foam replacing, also it looks like this van has been used as a "home " for a period with the shower being used daily and the walls are mould marked as a result. I have no idea how much this stuff would cost to do properly. We are near Durham. Can anyone suggest / recommend dealerships in the north east?

6. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  7. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard;)

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

image.jpg image.jpg
    Hi welcome to MHF .
    We are advertising ours As soon as we get round to it.
    CI Mizar GTL living TopClass. 2006. 30,000 on clock.
    It's ready to go all fully valeted . Non smoking Owners. Spotless. 4 traveling seats, king size over cab , 2 bunk beds. So no making up beds. Big front lounging about lounge with swivel front seats . Fully winterised for all year round camping ( See Spec above for more details )
    It's been fully Refoamed and reupholstered professionally . To a modern design. New camping agilis tyres, solar, 2xtrojan batteries, b2b monitor, paragon silver screen, fiamma zipstore awning, had its cambelt done, new breaks and discs. Loads of extras. Loads of pics inside and out .
    We're wanting £25k ono
    If you or anyone else is interested. Haha save us advertising !

9. wingman

wingman Funster

@Angela32 DON't entertain anything with mould. It could cost you a fortune in damp repairs. It's not like a bit of mould in a house bathroom, it may mean that the timbers etc behind the wall panels suffer from rot!

'Deep cleaning' is one thing, but having to pull wall panels and half the van apart will be very disappointing and spoil your first impressions of motorhoming.

Ralph-n-Bev's looks good!

Good luck
    James

• Like Like x 3
  10. beacons

beacons Funster

Hi yes make sure not damp we have bought
    2 used vans both needed deep clean
    the first one we changed flooring and just put nice accessories in the second one new flooring and re covered upholstery and just brightened it up with nice bedding etc used vans are fine you can put your own stamp on them we like warm and cosy
    best wishes for getting sorted.

11. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Or the poor little pooch could just be needing the toilet! :)

Angela, as has been mentioned above, I should avoid anything with mould you can actualy see, because if they didn't bother to get rid of it what other damp lurks unseen!

KH

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jaime

Jaime

I need the loo more frequently than he does, we have a very workable relationship ;)