Looking to Buy E Bikes whilst Abroad

Discussion in 'Bikes and eBikes' started by Sweet Chariot, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

At present am in Italy, leaving to return in around a week through Switzerland and Belgium anyone any advice on E Bike bargains have seen the Swiz Flyer lovely but very expensive.

2. Nigeltheparrot

Nigeltheparrot Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I would go for a Bosch powered bike!

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

After much research, we just bought two Kalkoffs .. an Agattu Premium Impulse 11 for me, and Premium Impulse 8 with 26in wheels for Jan

They are Pedelecs .. assisted electric bikes.. not E bikes.. they do not have a hand throttle and they only 'go' when you pedal..

(an E Bike has a throttle and can go without peddling)

At almost £5k for two bikes it's a lot of dosh.. you could by a decent second hand car for less.. but we have been out nearly every day.. the miles fly past, the last afternoon trip we did 30 miles. they have given me back the legs of my youth..

Three power levels.. Eco, Sport and Power .. this gives theoretical ranges of 125miles, 85miles and 45 miles .. that of course will depend on many factors.. weight, type of terrain, how lazy you are, weather etc..

On Eco it is like having a gentle tail wind.. you still need to put in effort.. on sport it's like a strong wind.. less effort and you can cruise easily at 15mph.. Power mode is great for hills... it's as if they don't exist... A hill near home that we used to walk up with the old bikes, we sailed up at + 12mph .. how good is that..

Out all day and we never used even half the 17ah battery capacity .. I don't think we will ever use it all on one ride..

I love the Gates belt drive with no de-railer to keep clean , the hub gears are a joy to use.. the hydraulic brakes are progressive and powerful.. even when wet.. the lights are dynamo driven off the front hub, and very bright.. I have them on all the time..

too many other great features to mention.. read the specs here http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/activity/agattu_premium_impulse_11.html

IMG_0133.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  5. Viennese

Viennese Funster

The new Gtech one looks interesting - very light, 16kg only

6. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

Thanks for your excellent review of your bikes but a little bit expensive for me.

7. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

If you wish to pay sensible prices then look in Decathlon, my wife has the ebike which they sell for just over £500 or so and it has been very good with a range of around 25 miles using the battery all the time. I'm thinking about the man version which is around £700 as I struggle to keep up with her when it's windy. You can also buy them in the UK either at the stores or online.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

top of the range swiss flyer probably the nicest e bike I Have ever test ridden. But that was before the excellent Bosch performance drives arrived and its near half the price in a full susser...

• Like Like x 1
  9. maison

maison Funster

I posted elsewhere on this Forum.

Norauto, a car accessory firm with branches throughout France, sells electric bikes from about 200 euros upwards.

My wife's bike cost us £170, after conversion to sterling.

It has Shimano 7 speed dérailleur gear shift, with three levels of pedal assistance. The electrics are guaranteed for two years and the frame for life. The only down side side is that battery is lead acid, so quite heavy. Lithium battery models are available for a little more money.

Battery range is about 20 miles on full assist, more on the lower settings.

Her previous E bike cost us £995 in Britain and failed after five years. A cost of £200 per year. After five months of use the present one is going well.

Appears to be a no brainier to me.

I am aware that at least two Funsters have bought bikes from Norauto after reading my original post.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

After spending hours and hours reading forums, reading reviews and going to specsavers ( need new glasses after sitting in front of computer for hours ) There is so much to choose from, but be careful getting a throttle drive as you will/may not be road legal in EU as law is changing in January 2016.
    We have narrowed it down to one model as we want to put bikes in garage when not in use. Only work as we pedal so legal in Spain. Problem is will need a loan to get them......
    15_blueLABEL_Pony_nuvinci_orange (1).jpg
    Now just have to find a dealer in Spain or travel to Germany in March and buy direct.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

We are two who have bought these after your op(y), we bought two for around £500 for the two, can't fault them up to yet(y):)

• Like Like x 1