looking to buy, advice please. (1 Viewer)

beemer328

Free Member
May 18, 2012
ely, cambs
Funster No
MH
coming soon
Exp
since 2002
Hi All, we are now looking to buy either a Hymer or Pilote A class but hve not much idea about either. We have seen a few on the net we like the look of but not been to see yet. we are looking for something around mid to late 90s under 70k miles with a budget of around £15,000. we have seen a few but would appreciate any advice. We are looking at under 22 foot in length.
Many thanks, Gary

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All, we are now looking to buy either a Hymer or Pilote A class but hve not much idea about either. We have seen a few on the net we like the look of but not been to see yet. we are looking for something around mid to late 90s under 70k miles with a budget of around £15,000. we have seen a few but would appreciate any advice. We are looking at under 22 foot in length.
Many thanks, Gary

My first question is Why? (An A class and why limit yourelf to a hymer or Pilote)
Having ourselves bought an A class of that period for around that price I have some limited advice I can pass on, though others are far more experienced than I.
First and it is always the golden rule check the layout works for you. When you have found a layout that suits, then all the rules for buying a motorhome apply (There is a good guide published by Jim on this website.)
Check for any signs of water ingress or rot, especially if you have a fixed bed over a garage, water ingress around the door seals is a common occurance, not necessarily fatal but you will need to knock the price down severely if there is any.
Try and check the roof especially if things like solar panels or T.V. ariels have been added since new for any sign of weak or broken seals, then check immediately beneath inside the van.
Examine the windscreen for any chips, cracks etc, the will cost £K2 to replace, also remember to check your insurance to see if they have an upper limit for glass replacement.
Press every button, check every appliance and if it does not work, then money off.
Of course you will need to check the vehicle and for about £70 you can drive it to a commercial garage and ask them to do a vehicle inspection for you. (esp. If you are buying privately). They will not look at the habitation area but they will check the base vehicle for you.
Have fun and enjoy your A class when you get one. Let us know how you get on.

Norman

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , We had a Pilote Galaxy 27 fab m/h great layout for 2 peeps later it was superceded by the 270 ,we found it better than hymer (personally) due to Pilote A class then!!! had the drivers door on the right unlike Hymer which basically used l/hand drive model design body . Since then however, Pilote now use L/hand bodies on UK models. Terry :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

beemer328

Free Member
May 18, 2012
ely, cambs
Funster No
MH
coming soon
Exp
since 2002
Many thanks for your replies, Being new to the A class idea I didnt realise there where others so only searched for the 2 makes. It looks like I have some homework to do this weekend. Terrys answer has reminded me, there are 2 of us that will be using the van and whatever we go for will be used for trips to Portugal and staying for a month so will need to be comfy. We did see a fixed bed Hymer for sale but you dont seem to get much lounge space ie sofa, on the 19ft models. we want to keep to the smaller size for fuel consumption and ferry costs as our car and caravan cost a fortune on the ferry to Santander

OP
OP
B

beemer328

Free Member
May 18, 2012
ely, cambs
Funster No
MH
coming soon
Exp
since 2002
Sorry Norman, I forgot to answer "why an A class" Not sure really but I like the large cab area and my wife dont like the coachbuilts with large overcab areas (it frightens her when the wind catches them) and low profiles seem to be over our price limit. Also we have had 2 coachbuilts and a Hi top I.H. which we loved but it really was only good for short periods due to lack of space.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi again with the A class you get the drop down bed over the drivers seat , which saves making up beds also they have larger lounges, I personally dont like fixed beds unless they give you a large garage space which you need for exterior chairs table windbreak bar b que etc. with our A class it had under floor storage for those items as I hate having any items stored in toilet or generally inside van ( which when you stop for a pee or cup of char and then you have to move them about) Having said all of that We now have small coach built end kitchen model and had to fix a back box to house said items Terry:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

beemer328

Free Member
May 18, 2012
ely, cambs
Funster No
MH
coming soon
Exp
since 2002
Hi Terry, yes I agree, I do like to keep all the junk out of the way. even more so if we arrive late on site, I like to get parked up and have a beer without having to shift a load of gear first ::bigsmile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry Norman, I forgot to answer "why an A class" Not sure really but I like the large cab area and my wife dont like the coachbuilts with large overcab areas (it frightens her when the wind catches them) and low profiles seem to be over our price limit. Also we have had 2 coachbuilts and a Hi top I.H. which we loved but it really was only good for short periods due to lack of space.
I didn't really expect an answer, the question was to focus mind on why? Was there a reason and obviously there is and a good one too,
If you want plenty of living space then choose a rear lounge model, but beware you will be unlikely to get any seat belts in the rear of the mh.

If sleeping comfort is your reason and the pull down bed meets your needs that's fine but if one of you, for any reason, has mobility difficulties the drop down bed might cause problems regardless of how comfortable it is. Like another comment I don't like clutter in my van and so I like the fixed bed over the garage; it offers comfortable sleeping and plenty of storage.

Good luck with your search, let us all know how you get on and your own thoughts when you finally make your choice.

Norman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back