Looking for my next van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by hailman, Nov 18, 2010.

1. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

I am on the trail of my next van, no rush just casual browsing, but can`t seem to find the layout I want in the size van I can afford to pay ferry charges for :Smile:.

At present I have a 7 metre low profile van, with a garage, a smalll seperate shower (which I CAN have a shower in :BigGrin:), with a chassis that drives nicely.

The part I don`t like about it is the front dinette, which is worse than useless for any sort of loungeing. The TV is nicely fitted in a roof locker over the cab area so you need to sit in the dinette to watch tv, which results in a cricked neck before long. To move the tv would create problems with wire routing, cupboard door opening and fixing to the bathroom wall, so I am reluctant to do that.

What I need is a van with 2 sofas in the lounge area, so I can stretch out and watch telly much as I do at home. A friend had an Autocruise which had that layout, still with a large garage, albeit with a smaller washroom. The only critism I had with that van was the height of the floor from the ground.

Anyone got any ideas for a van that fits the bill without adding an extra metre, which will cost me even more on the ferry every time I want to get off this island. :Doh:

2. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, know what you mean about being over 6m, or is 6.72m :RollEyes: We saw a nice Hymer A Class on our last trip to Germany, I cant think what the model number was. :Doh: But that had a garage with double bed over and at the front was just a lounge so only 2 berth and just under 6m.:thumb: the other option is a van conversion some of the layouts are really good for a small van but I find the hight inside a bit low.:BigGrin: You will have to get to a show and have a look.:Wink::Smile: Bob.

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi,

There is quite a varied selection of new and preowned vans available on my website, have a browse you might get some ideas.

Thought IOW residents got a discount on the ferries but is that for cars only?

Peter

4. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi Hailman
    Autocruise starblazer LL
    Eldiss autostratus rg/ compass castaway rg (same thing/different badge)
    Autotrail cheyenne 696g

They're three off the top of my head, i'm sure there are plenty of others :thumb:

cheers....nige

5. hailman

So they tell me! :BigGrin: It doesn`t seem that way when you want to pop away for the weekend on the spur of the moment and the ferry companies decide they want up to £160 for the priviledge (7m van), puts a bitter taste in your mouth I can tell you. I would love an 8mtr `A` class but I begrudge giving them any more than I have to. :Angry: What makes it worse is the fact that despite our `discount/concession` one ferry company offers travel and 5 nights camp site fees to visitors for a lot less!

Don`t get me started! :BigGrin:

I will browse your site, thanks and thanks for the other suggestions too. :thumb:

6. hailman

Thanks for that.

Mmmm, nothing German in there then. :Smile:

I was also thinking of finding something `fully winterised` as `er indoors gets cold feet :Doh: and underfloor heating sounds very appealing.

Oh yeh, she don`t like `them big bumps over the cab` either, so got to be a low profile or `A` class I reckon.