Looking for hitch for a decent price (1 Viewer)

Mikee

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Funster No
Hi,
First post.
I'm getting my 5th wheel (Sun Valley Extreme Lite) in a few weeks time and get my Nissan Navara later this week.
Can anyone assist by pointing me in the direction of a fair-priced hitch installer?
Calder Leisure quoted me £1200. I thought this was excessive. I'm in Scotland but would drive a reasonable distance for a decent saving.
Would it be better buying the kit separately and trying to get it installed by enginners/electricians?

Thanks in advance.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Ouch - that's expensive!

Keep a look out on ebay - sometimes some on there. Much cheaper from USA but don't know what the shipping would be like.

We were lucky, we got the seller to throw ours in with the deal. Fitted it ourselves and local auto electrician did the electrics.

Al

dpick

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
Middlesbrough
Funster No
Hi,
First post.
I'm getting my 5th wheel (Sun Valley Extreme Lite) in a few weeks time and get my Nissan Navara later this week.
Can anyone assist by pointing me in the direction of a fair-priced hitch installer?
Calder Leisure quoted me £1200. I thought this was excessive. I'm in Scotland but would drive a reasonable distance for a decent saving.
Would it be better buying the kit separately and trying to get it installed by enginners/electricians?

Thanks in advance.

Hi I would check what Calders are quoting for as I have seen a calder quote for the same value on another forum but that was for the hitch and upgrading the Navara and re plating the gross and train weight. IE gross up to 3470kgs and train to 6500kgs

dpick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Mikee

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Funster No
Hi I would check what Calders are quoting for as I have seen a calder quote for the same value on another forum but that was for the hitch and upgrading the Navara and re plating the gross and train weight. IE gross up to 3470kgs and train to 6500kgs

dpick
Thanks for that.
Does that mean they put weights in place to get the correct
balance? Excuse me if I'm being a bit thick.

I'll check with Calder what's involved. I thought it was supply
and install of the hitch, electronic brake controller and both
electric connections.

I'm also checking for uk suppliers and eBay etc (just missed
one on eBay yesterday).

Thanks.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
upgrade and replating costs nothing its a paper exersize. hitches arent cheap and electric fitting can soon mount up. cost alot more than that to use an air system.
think you may struggle to get it done cheaper by a garage.
cheers alan.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

dpick

Should have got a pickup thats capable of towing the 5er without upgrades. Bit like using a pin hammer to knock in a 6" nail, it will work but not the right tool for the job. :cry:

OP
OP
M

Mikee

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Funster No
Called these guys this morning :
Link Removed
They normally do trucks.
Are these hitches suitable for pickups and 5th wheels?
They are going to call me back. They may fit as well.
Any advice appreciated.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Called these guys this morning :
Link Removed
They normally do trucks.
Are these hitches suitable for pickups and 5th wheels?
They are going to call me back. They may fit as well.
Any advice appreciated.

Yes all 5er hitches are the same. Have you looked at www.campingworld.com and got a price to ship from the USA?? Have a word with Lindyc (a member on here) she ships stuff from the USA and may be able to combine it with one of her shipments to save you a bit on shipping costs. They are bloody heavy things though so be prepared to dig deep!!!!!

You should ask the question of the truck guys about the weight of the hitch. If its for an artic it might be so heavy that there isnt enough left for the 5er. Ask Calder how much their hitches weigh as a comparison.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all 5er hitches arent quite the same .i fitted one to my mitzy and found it unsuitable. it only had a narrow width mounting .i changed it for my other trucks hitch .much wider mounting makes it more stable. but dazzer is right why not get a proper little truck. my mitzy is possibly smaller than the nav and does a lovely job. and is a 7 seater. also takes up alot less room on the road or carparks.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
all 5er hitches arent quite the same .i fitted one to my mitzy and found it unsuitable. it only had a narrow width mounting .i changed it for my other trucks hitch .much wider mounting makes it more stable. but dazzer is right why not get a proper little truck. my mitzy is possibly smaller than the nav and does a lovely job. and is a 7 seater. also takes up alot less room on the road or carparks.

I stand corrected :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but right on getting a proper truck.
have you done anything yet about getting one daz .
5er i mean ha ha .
there is also different weights for the hitches.
there is someone on ebay does hitches quite cheap,but i cant help with the electric gear .
have seen a system that goes on brake light swutches then pulls /pushes cables on the trailer. was done by lynton trailers .mine uses air to pull/push the cables.
but the truck brakes are only normal hydraulics. have exhaust brake though .thats a good bit of kit.

IanRS

Free Member
Nov 6, 2008
Funster No
Hi,
First post.

Thanks in advance.

Was the quote for a fixed hitch or a slider? would have thought you needed a slider as the Navara is only a short bed.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Having our hitch and electrics fitted to our new pickup cost us £500 for the fitting and new electronic brake controller. We had already had it removed as was trading the old pickup in.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
IIRC the £1,200 is for the hitch, (sidewinder is now standard fitting I believe) brake controller, air suspension and compressor, all electrics and up rating plates for the Navarra. I think that is a pretty good deal myself.
JK

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
but right on getting a proper truck.
have you done anything yet about getting one daz .
5er i mean ha ha .
there is also different weights for the hitches.
there is someone on ebay does hitches quite cheap,but i cant help with the electric gear .
have seen a system that goes on brake light swutches then pulls /pushes cables on the trailer. was done by lynton trailers .mine uses air to pull/push the cables.
but the truck brakes are only normal hydraulics. have exhaust brake though .thats a good bit of kit.

I gave up on the idea with the $-£ rate at the moment, 5ers are more expensive to ship than an RV of a similar size which pretty much sealed the deal for me :Doh:. Im also in a loosing battle with wifee about a 5er, as the Lightning only has 3 seats she not very keen (even though there is only 3 of us!!!) as our daughter likes to bring a friend along.

Still on with building a demount truck camper though but cant find out if its legal to carry passengers in the demount when driving, even our local copshop doesnt know :Doh: which leaves us with the 3 seat issue again. I only bought the Lightning as a toy and never dreamed of using it for recreational use. Had I know 3 years ago I would have got the crewcab 5 seater Harley Davidson version :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dazzer why ship one in there is always a few on ebay some seem very cheap.
have you rang vosa. if i remember i,ll ask our local one next time i speak may do it tomorrow. isay get a proper mini artic like mine 7 seater you know the rest. course you will have to get a proper truck .heee heee . there are afew out there have you ever googled lynton or vipex trailers .they have all sold afew you could track them down. have fun cheers alan.

OP
OP
M

Mikee

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for all replies.
Looks like I'll need to go with Calder.
Jost quoted £1000 for the hitch which weighed 50 kg.
CCTV quoted between £850 and £1000 - when I add
my travelling it wouldn't be worth it.
Tried eBay etc but with travelling to pick up and then fitting
costs it would be too expensive.
Ok - better dig the credit card out!

Jul 9, 2009
Weymouth,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T700
Exp
20yrs+
Mikee, It might be a bit late now for you, but I have complete hitch & electrics as fitted by Calder to my Navara last year. Its all available at a reasonable price. I am sure you could find some one else to fit it all if not capable yourself. I am sure the most average motor mechanic could fit it for you as the workmanship performed by Calder on mine was to say "amateurish" to say the least, part of the reason for sending 5er back for refund. Only got refund for 5er not the Navara equipment. PM me if you are interested.

OP
OP
M

Mikee

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Funster No
Mikee, It might be a bit late now for you, but I have complete hitch & electrics as fitted by Calder to my Navara last year. Its all available at a reasonable price. I am sure you could find some one else to fit it all if not capable yourself. I am sure the most average motor mechanic could fit it for you as the workmanship performed by Calder on mine was to say "amateurish" to say the least, part of the reason for sending 5er back for refund. Only got refund for 5er not the Navara equipment. PM me if you are interested.

John,
PM sent - thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back