Jul 14, 2015
lancashire
Funster No
MH
looking to buy one
Exp
since 2000
firstly i would like to say hello as this is my first post on here
i have a budget of around 15k and am looking for rear lounge with overcab bed layout and most importantly with a good reliable engine any advice is welcome

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
firstly i would like to say hello as this is my first post on here
i have a budget of around 15k
Hi, and a warm welcome. Make that £13k and leave £2k in the kitty to put right any problems with the 'van. That's what we did when we bought ours and it is now very reliable and always passes MOT first time without advisories. Also, although eBay is a good place to start looking, be aware that there are some scammers out there who are advertising a 'van that doesn't exist or actually belongs to someone else. So, heed the advice that Jim offers and also have a read through the forum for info on buying. Good luck with your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, do your research read the forum ask questions, damp meter, pay load , storage, etc. for me the best £10 you can spend is on membership that gives you access to ask as many questions as you want, get discounts and join in the banter. Good Luck exciting times ahead. :welc:

Upvote 0

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
we bought ours from gumtree, some good buys on there.....we also got an almost new conservatory off gumtree for £600! (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
anything that sounds to good to be true usually is never part with any money untill you are certain everything has been checked
when you find something that sounds right do a search for that model for sale and if the one your looking at is significantly cheaper be very carefull

Upvote 0

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
having spent all my working life [40yrs] buying and selling motor vehicles my advice would be this. if looking on websites etc, do not buy anything without actually going to view it first and getting the OWNER to show you round it . [not a neighbour ,friend, a bloke who works with him, or a member of his platoon because hes on a black opps mission in libya the OWNER !!] a genuine owner/ seller will be only too happy to answer any questions about his vehicle , anyone else will either not know the answers, or will try to fob you off !! be realistic about what you are going to get for your budget. people get stung every day buying motors because they cant resist the temptation that they might have come across a £25k motor for £10k !!! dealers and traders spend hours searching websites too and if there are any unbelievable bargains to be had out there believe me. they will have been spotted long before you. look to buy your van on its condition and history not just price. do all the relevent hpi checks before handing over any money and you should be well on the way to enjoyable motorhome ownership . good luck garry

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN. We bought our van off eBay, as long as your careful then it is a good way to buy. (y)

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome from Devon, as you see plenty of good advice already coming your way ,from the owner is good advice as already posted ,good luck on your journey

animated-gif-emoticons.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2015
N Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Years
Hi and welcome. I bought a used MH ten days ago. The information on this site is excellent, that's why I subscribed. I concur with all of the above. As a word of caution, We used a so called respectable Authorised Autotrail dealer. We ordered a 120 watt solar panel, they decided to fit a 150 watt panel, country to the manufacturers specification and the result is we can't use the MH. After sales is poor,statements made before we bought turned out to be untrue and the Sales Manager went straight to, "was it on your order form?" So you see even buying from a dealer requires great caution. I intend to elaborate further when the list of problems has been resolved. In the mean time, don't be put off, do your homework and good luck.

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Hello and welcome to the club, lots of helpful advice on here, when you do find a van you like it would be a good idea to ask around to see if someone with experience could accompany you to view.
My first advice would be, after paying your membership fee here, don't rush into it just take your time and enjoy the search.
Norman.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
Spalding, uk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Newbie!!
Welcome to Funster, we are new here, but have had some good advice already....

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
welcome and enjoy the fun.
good luck on your search and we hope you find the one for you.
we searched all over the country and then found the right one on our doorstep

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
May I add to the list of good advice already given. Let your NOSE guide you after you have found the 'perfect' van. As already mentioned, the only really bad thing as far as the vans construction is concerned, is damp. Repairing even quite minor problems can incur horrendous costs but your nose can usually detect damp almost (but not quite) as well as a damp meter. Smell inside every cupboard and if it smells slightly sour; walk away however good the bargain it may seem. At a local dealer we noticed all the windows open and the spray of a strong pleasant perfume.... it almost worked!
Alan

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
My layout requirements were exactly what yours are. Are you in London? If so - due to the lez it will be almost impossible in that budget. If not, are there any length restrictions that you have (due to driveway size even etc...?). Rear seatbelt - do you need them? Finally, can you drive a vehicle in excess of 3.5t? These were limiting factors for me. I suspect that you may have to compromise on something given your budget unless something like this would work for you:

Broken Link Removed

I wanted a vw but rear seatbelts and that it would not meet the London lez requirements stopped me.

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Have a frind in trade has a sundance overhead bed all service history new cam belt 02 nice tidy van no damp possible weren't for a couple of hundred pounds pm me if interested and will put you in touch Ng219ep area

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back