Looking for a second hand bike in Reims (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Long shot I know but now we are keen to carry on cycling we are looking for a second hand bike on the road. We are driving to Reims and on to Lyon and the Dordoigne valley . Does anyone happen to know of a good place to pick one up on that route? Or coincidentally is heading this way with a bike to sell? Haha you never know. We only brought one bike with us as husband wasn't sure if he could still ride one but we don't want to wait the month of travelling before we get back home to buy one. You are such an Ingenious lot I'm sure someone will come up with an idea!
Cheers
Jackie

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Decathlon sells loads of bikes but not one that i want. I want a step through frame with 18/21 gear. Can I find one. No. Only a mountain bike but with my little legs I can't get my leg over without falling over! !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
There are plenty of second hand shops, similar to our Cash Converters, in France.

Because of the popularity of cycling in France they always have several bikes for sale. The practice of "upgrading" seems to apply to bikes as much as it does to mobile phones so there are some good quality bargains. Keep your eyes open as you drive. Bikes are quite often displayed on the pavement outside the shops so you will spot them.

I know it is not as easy as when you have a specific shop and address to find, but you could bag a real bargain.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks good advice

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Also if you see a place saying Troc then it is a second hand shop . Normally in a big building o the outskirts of towns so easy to park with a van

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Decathlon sells loads of bikes but not one that i want. I want a step through frame with 18/21 gear. Can I find one. No. Only a mountain bike but with my little legs I can't get my leg over without falling over! !
Just a thought but having moved on to an e-bike, Joyce's Trek Navigator 100 is available ... if you are interested please pm.
It is a step through frame with 21 gears and has done no more than about 25 miles ... Joyce is 4'11" and with the saddle down she manages comfortably.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Pity you aren't in Germany I know a lady in Bremen has 2 electric bikes for sale, she has just lost her hubby before Christmas.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There are plenty of second hand shops, similar to our Cash Converters, in France.

Because of the popularity of cycling in France they always have several bikes for sale. The practice of "upgrading" seems to apply to bikes as much as it does to mobile phones so there are some good quality bargains. Keep your eyes open as you drive. Bikes are quite often displayed on the pavement outside the shops so you will spot them.

I know it is not as easy as when you have a specific shop and address to find, but you could bag a real bargain.

I would rather walk than buy anything of them thieving sods who would have thieved it off some poor bugger. Mind they might have thieved it in the first place.. :):)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
As someone has said, look for a Troc.
Online you could look at LeBonCoin---similar to Gumtree I guess.
Ask at any Cycle Hire place, might know of something for sale.
If you come across a Vide Grenier worth looking round.

Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
Also worth looking in second hand warehouses called depot ventes if you see them on your travels.These are places where people leave items to be sold.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Long shot I know but now we are keen to carry on cycling we are looking for a second hand bike on the road. We are driving to Reims and on to Lyon and the Dordoigne valley . Does anyone happen to know of a good place to pick one up on that route? Or coincidentally is heading this way with a bike to sell? Haha you never know. We only brought one bike with us as husband wasn't sure if he could still ride one but we don't want to wait the month of travelling before we get back home to buy one. You are such an Ingenious lot I'm sure someone will come up with an idea!
Cheers
Jackie

Bit confused about this post Jac as you say you have only one bike today (Saturday) but yesterday you made a post where the two of you were out cycling.:confused:

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Haha yes we hired one and one we are carrying on the back.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
OK,That explains it. Did you have any luck in buying one,depending on what you wanted to buy there were a few on my Leboncoin link for Reims.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you are between Dijon and Lyons the town of Chalons-sur-Saone has a second hand shop selling bikes.

Take Chalons-Sud exit from autoroute. Follow signs for Chalons and the shop is on your left, about half kilometre after round-a-bout, opposite a small Crntre Commercial. Total distance off Autoroute under two ks.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
OK,That explains it. Did you have any luck in buying one,depending on what you wanted to buy there were a few on my Leboncoin link for Reims.
Thanks
We didn't want to really go to an individual persons house as it was a big city and didn't fancy city traffic
Appreciate it though

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
If you are between Dijon and Lyons the town of Chalons-sur-Saone has a second hand shop selling bikes.

Take Chalons-Sud exit from autoroute. Follow signs for Chalons and the shop is on your left, about half kilometre after round-a-bout, opposite a small Crntre Commercial. Total distance off Autoroute under two ks.
Thanks we may well follow that up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back