Looking for a Hymer, but not this one......

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Allanm, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We sold our Autosleeper to fund our new house and bought an RV to live in, now we have sold our RV as we are no longer going to be living in it. Now we are looking for a cheap Hymer.
    But not this one, anybody else think its a scam?
    Apparently the seller is working in Northern Ireland but will deliver it at her cost and I can keep it for 7 days to inspect it and return it if I am not happy.................
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Hyme...84-/272401498448?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Allan

2. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

That is the usual pattern for the scam pay for it first though. Rather cheap although it is oldish a R reg.
    Going to the house might be interesting as it was a previous advert??? and hijacked for a scam. If you look on other items for sale there is another motorhome a landrover defender and a Vito for sale as well.

3. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Definitely a scam. Looking at the other items the guy has, they are way too cheap. The Land Rover for example is at least half its true sale value (unless a rebuilt write off).

Good luck with the hunt, there are some gems out there but you need to be careful!

4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I asked if I could view it before making a decision and funnily enough I had no answer!
    Reported to eBay as a scam.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

I spotted this one as a scan and another one that sold a few days ago. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152259773968?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112152615115?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    Both on sale within 4 days of each other so will be long gone by the time the scam comes to light. If you look at both adds they are very similar and seem to be being sold by people who have done a lot of cheap french transactions to build up a 100% reputation.
    I suppose ebay will refund the buyers.

6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I think the scammers use a false PayPal account so Ebay probably won't be interested

7. pyro

pyro Funster

8. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

scammer are usually trying to draw you out of the reasonabley secure e bay/paypal environment which is why any add with e mails and phone numbers in the text is a cause for alarm

9. Allanm

Allanm Funster

There are an awful lot on eBay at the moment. I've reported some hut 2 days later the ads are still live. You would think eBay would be a bit more pro active.
    Anyway, off to see an old Hymer today, no money will change hands before I've driven the van and seen all the paperwork.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Speve

Speve Funster

It's been removed from EBay now.

11. Borderland

Borderland Funster

It will be back soon. I have reported the same trader who is selling motorhome, caravan, land rover, many times to ebay but the ads get posted again next day.
    Problem is that there is no incentive for the likes of ebay to remove the scams because they don't lose out financially and presumable still make profit out of the fraudulent listings. They rely upon the public to report the frauds. It's about time they were made responsible for fraudulent listings

12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

They get a fee for listing classifieds so I guess they will carry on taking ads. If they were made to compensate victims of scams on their website, they may have to do a bit more work to stop them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Get one like this. Cheap, but well built. (y)

$(KGrHqJHJEkFIgvq3iVPBSLk4ol-Fg~~60_57.JPG

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Needs a wash toots lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

Why? Just been freshly dragged out from the sea.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I know Sue. Will have a shower when the boss decides to end her bathroom sabbatical. (y)

No it hasn't. Just sunbathing.(y) You can always tell by the lack of a swimming costume over the luton. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We looked at a few of those, interiors were very well built but all had sufferered from leaks in the past and the outer alloy skins were deteriorating and crumbling in places on both along with various dings dents and cracked windows.
    So, we decided to widen our search, looked at an awfully damp Autotrail with polyfiller bathroom roof and extra plywood wall panels to hide the damp patches and a few more European vans that had damp, sticking doors and mouldy cupboard interiors, but finally settled on another British built van, a Swift Royale.
    Old, but no signs of damp, mould, rust or damage, all original and 50k on the clock. Drives like a dream and will be fully serviced before we pick it up next week.
    As long as it sees us through the winter and gets us to warmer climes over Christmas, it will be fine.
    Shame, I really wanted a Hymer.......