Look what the wind has done to my awning. (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There is a waiting list for repaired units, however, I will add your name to the list. At the moment, we are working on a 4 mtr model for a fat git called Badknee, and trying to repair a punctured blow up awning for Dux-Deluxe. (y)
Well, I hope you use a better quality puncture repair kit than the one you used on your indispensable friend Inflatable Annie........:LOL:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
That Annie was exceedingly well used and performed above and beyond expectations
That was his first line of defence

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
@RidersofRohan ive just shown Ralph this as we've a large black version of this on Pug, and I didn't want it happening to ours.
He says when he fitted ours on the side of Pug , it came with a bracket/ clamp that went in the middle of the awning at the back , and clipped over. ( it went into something like the front awning rail , but on the back and had a bolt in the top to clamp it down.)
He'd never seen one on another awning , and our old motorhome didn't have one on. But then again that wasn't 4.8m like this one. He fitted it , because it came with it .
He now realises what it must have been for , after looking at your photographs.
( to stop this happening)
Maybe who ever fitted yours didn't bother putting one on?
He says he'll try and get a photo . If you want .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
The Halifax weather centre recorded 82mph at 0200 today and is currently showing at 2000 gusts of 40 mph. Now I don't know its exact location but we live on top of a hill at 1000+ ft so I think we might be more.
@RidersofRohan ive just shown Ralph this as we've a large black version of this on Pug, and I didn't want it happening to ours.
He says when he fitted ours on the side of Pug , it came with a bracket/ clamp that went in the middle of the awning at the back , and clipped over. ( it went into something like the front awning rail , but on the back and had a bolt in the top to clamp it down.)
He'd never seen one on another awning , and our old motorhome didn't have one on. But then again that wasn't 4.8m like this one. He fitted it , because it came with it .
Great.
There was nothing left over after the fitting so I'm guessing mine at 4.0 metres is considered strong enough by Fiamma. A picture would be great and that bracket might be what is needed.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Could do with seeing if mine has the bracket so a photo would be great.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I have a Fiamma awning and also winter in Almeria (very windy at times) . When i wind in my awning now i find it does not align properly with the housing and if i try to force the issue it would result in your problem , so now i wind it in to the sticking point and ease it into the housing by hand . When i tried to have a look at the the problem it appeared that one of roof support arms was not lining up properly.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
If you get some of those heavy plastic ties ,you may have to put two together and start at each end work to the middle about 150mm apart then as it springs keep tightening up. At least it will be safe until you get in a position to sort it out . I must admit it looks too high to me but not easy to tell on photo . Hope works out ok and I still think you have a chance with you insurance if all else fails.

Boater

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Bridgend s.wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Mine has the centre bracket fitted as well as I remember it is longer than the two end brackets I am pretty sure it was extra when I bought the fitting kit the has been on six years with no problems it's a long awning full length of roof on extra long ducato.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the correct brackets for the fiats do sit very high on the ducatos same as my avatar. there should be three brackets which roughly line up with the pivot points in the awning. mine only ever had two as the mountings can only be bought in pairs ,mine was 3m and the casing did twist a bit when it was opened but i never had problems like this. i originally thought it was open when the damage was done if its closed i assumed the lips on the front edge locked it all together

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Ralph-n-Bev your awning will be 4m like ours, not 4.8m as we both have the XLWB versions (mine being the Fiat one).

For the F65s awnings there should be 3 brackets so you need to check if all 3 have been put on. If so then it is the awning that is at fault and needs to be replaced FOC by whoever you bought it from, if not then it could be argued that the fitter is at fault assuming they bought the kit for you so you need to get them to address the problem.

Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
COPIED FROM ANOTHER FORUM
over two years ago

My brother had the same problem with his F65 on an Adria Twin, during a storm just before Christmas. We removed the awning from the van to look at the damage, applying pressure to the centre of the cover plate caused it to pop back into place.

He's now considering whether to reattach it and use two large zippy ties to prevent it happening again.

There is an add on device used on my American RV awning that would prevent such happening again
designed to stop the infamous fabric from unfurling at high speeds on the motorways
Im sure it would stop this fault too, it doesn't have to be a tight fit either to work
G
Available in White Also

35618n.jpg
closeup2.jpg
awning-lock.jpg

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
My van is the extra high roof version so not very common and requiring the awning to be at a slightly different angle than a lower roof van and surprisingly Fiamma do a fitting kit for it and this has three brackets. I bought this kit from the supplier at the same time as the awning. The kit and awning have been correctly fitted to the van IMO.
The only reason the supplier did not fit the awning for me was they are darn sarf and I calculated the fuel cost would outweigh the cost of fitting it locally.
I think Ralph and Bev may be talking about a different sort of bracket, one that strengthens the casing itself particularly the top casing which is the weakness. I hope so anyway.
I have been up to look this morning and the top casing has come out of the seam where it fits into the bottom casing.
The wind has dropped but snow is now falling so I have tried to protect the casing from it filling up with snow and freezing etc.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks also to Geo.
It has knocked my confidence in this product, whats to stop it happening again but on a motorway? So your RV clamp is interesting and might be worth looking at once it is repaired/replaced.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
My van is the extra high roof version so not very common and requiring the awning to be at a slightly different angle than a lower roof van
The kit and awning have been correctly fitted to the van IMO.
I think Ralph and Bev may be talking about a different sort of bracket, one that strengthens the casing itself particularly the top casing which is the weakness. I hope so anyway.

You are of course correct. I've found this showing ralph fixing it to Pug with the 3 fixing points as standard.
He's at work , but has said when he comes home , he'll photograph the EXTRA bracket /clamp. Hope it helps.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/page-25

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Geo I remember posts about problems with the top cover of the awning casing distorting but couldn't find them ... mind you I have been busy baking scones this morning which was much more rewarding! :D2

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'm guessing the F65 awning is one of the longer ones? In which case it could be an inherent flaw not anticipated by the designer - maybe the longer F65s flex or bow more than their shorter counterparts when the vehicle is rocking about in a strong lateral wind, and once the top is bent upwards the wind gets under it and bang.

The almost perfectly symmetrical shape of the bend has a sort of waveform look about it, which makes me wonder if it was resonating somehow? Anyway, the bottom line is it shouldn't have happened.

Also, a quick search on Google reveals others have had the same problem and have reported it on the dark side (which apparently I'm not allowed to link to directly).

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...pv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fiamma+f65+awning+wind+damage

If you've clicked on the relevant dark side in this link it actually states in one of the posts that fiat know of the problem & additional clips were supplied "shaped like your knuckle" to overcome the problem of it occurring.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you've clicked on the relevant dark side in this link it actually states in one of the posts that fiat know of the problem & additional clips were supplied "shaped like your knuckle" to overcome the problem of it occurring.
... go on the 'dark side' ... not ruddy likely ... I know which way my bread is buttered!!! :LOL:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
@Geo I remember posts about problems with the top cover of the awning casing distorting but couldn't find them ... mind you I have been busy baking scones this morning which was much more rewarding! :D2
Send me a Scone and I'll send you the link but its dark in there:Eeek:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@RidersofRohan @jezport
Ralph's just got back and here's a photo of the clips .
IMG_1427.JPG
IMG_1428.JPG

He's had to use a torch as it's getting dark here. We have two across the length of the awning.
He did wonder what they were for , very nearly didn't put them on as they were silver and stood out !
He's glad he did now though, after seeing your damage. We like to visit wild and wonderful places , what ever the weather.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Hey that's so good of you to go to that trouble for me.
The clips look perfect.
Thank Ralph for his torchlight roof roaming.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie

Do you have my address? If no I can soon remedy that:)

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
@Riverbankannie that's a wall mounted awning. Fiamma do these (F45) the roof mounted ones are F65. I think the one pictured is a Thule.
We retrofitted ours and what swayed the decision in favour of a roof mounted one was that a wall mounted one needed bolts through into the van and possibly removing cupboards etc. Obviously it feels now to be the wrong decision, the other disadvantage of a roof mount is that it is out of my reach without using ladders etc.
I was rather hoping these would be fit and forget but it seems not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Riverbankannie that's a wall mounted awning. Fiamma do these (F45) the roof mounted ones are F65. I think the one pictured is a Thule.
We retrofitted ours and what swayed the decision in favour of a roof mounted one was that a wall mounted one needed bolts through into the van and possibly removing cupboards etc. Obviously it feels now to be the wrong decision, the other disadvantage of a roof mount is that it is out of my reach without using ladders etc.
I was rather hoping these would be fit and forget but it seems not.
You sneaked in whilst I was replying. :D

We had the F65 on our previous camper and on our current one with no problems at all, I suspect it was a combination of the long awning length and very strong gusts that has caused the issue for you, if you can get it back into shape and fit the 'clip' things that Bev has mentioned I should imagine you won't have any problems in the future ... hopefully! Don't know how you get hold of the clips things though!

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
You sneaked in whilst I was replying. :D

We had the F65 on our previous camper and on our current one with no problems at all, I suspect it was a combination of the long awning length and very strong gusts that has caused the issue for you, if you can get it back into shape and fit the 'clip' things that Bev has mentioned I should imagine you won't have any problems in the future ... hopefully! Don't know how you get hold of the clips things though!
Unfortunately its also come out of line at the back too where the top of the casing fits into the bottom part of the casing, so needs to realign and then drop down. I am trying to stop snow blowing into the opening and then freezing and making matters worse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back